Home

Advanced AI tendencies

This is a discussion on Advanced AI tendencies within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Advanced AI tendencies

Will there be specific fighter tendencies for the more notable fighters / top tier? Not broad aspects like counter puncher or leg kicker but real life strategies or tactics these upper echelon fighters use

-Tyron Woodley somewhat often backs up towards the cage and explodes forward with takedowns and his overhand right

-Joanna champion is a surgeon from the outside but flurries you once she lands a clean shot

-fighters like Michael bisping, cowboy, Diaz brothers usually start slow then pick up the pace as the fight goes on

-Conor McGregor often pressures you with kicks until you are against the cage and counters once you throw or try to close the distance
https://m.imgur.com/MxyNUf2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Re: Advanced AI tendencies

only problem with this is people will start to know what they are going to do, however i like the idea of specifc fighter tendecies.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #3
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gion
Will there be specific fighter tendencies for the more notable fighters / top tier? Not broad aspects like counter puncher or leg kicker but real life strategies or tactics these upper echelon fighters use

-Tyron Woodley somewhat often backs up towards the cage and explodes forward with takedowns and his overhand right

-Joanna champion is a surgeon from the outside but flurries you once she lands a clean shot

-fighters like Michael bisping, cowboy, Diaz brothers usually start slow then pick up the pace as the fight goes on

-Conor McGregor often pressures you with kicks until you are against the cage and counters once you throw or try to close the distance
Skynet can talk to this in detail if he chooses but there are some. With that said, I think that what you are looking for in some cases goes deeper than the AI in UFC 3 (**** the AI in any MMA game) is equipped to go.

For example:

- Woodley: The Woodley I faced during the had a slower pace, kept a greater distance and allowed you to back him up if moving forward. Did he specifically step back than explode forward with a TD or Overhand? No but thats primarily because his moveset and ratings werent implemented yet but I'm not sure if that wouldve happened with his moveset in place.

Will he use the overhand? Yes. Will he attempt takedowns at a pace similar to real life Woodley? Yes. But that specific move may not happen.

What you are looking for is absolutely something I would love to see in the game but I think that would be a HUGE leap from what we saw in UFC2 and maybe too much to expect in one iteration of the game.

What you can expect to see is a fighter real life tendencies determining how much they counter punches, what distance they strike from, how often they clinch, how often they go for takedowns, how they defend themselves etc.

I think that alone with realistic stats and movesets will lead to fighters feeling more like their real life counterparts.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
Rookie

I like it, some fighters will walk you down no matter what.
Take down a guy like Jason Knight and enjoy your stay at RubberGuard Inn.
Diaz bros come forward and flick the 1-2 at you, taunt if you back up or throw spinning sh**
Some guys sprint away from you when in trouble.
Mickey Gall goes for the RNC when he gets your back.
Etc

These tendencies would probably be a nightmare to program for so many different fighters but would help make offline modes stay fun for a longer than a day or 2.
Since the game is near finished I'm not going to expect it but it's something to think about for the 4th installment if it's not already in the game and won't be patched in.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
MVP

One thing I hope the AI does is throw appropriate shots depending on range and using realistic methods to close the distance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
Rookie

YourFatZebra's Arena

This is essential in order to make the single player experience actually have replay value. I'm sure I'm not the only person who basically out trained the ai in the last game and found career/other offline modes dull once you got to a certain skill level.

As a fan of the WWE 2K series I can say that's what keeps those games alive other than the customization. Playing against Brock Lesnar feels like a Brock Lesnar match. Same for a faster wrestler like Neville or Finn Balor. Seems the AI in those games looks at the stat values the character has and uses that to determine a usage rate for each skill. EX: I have characters who are MMA fighters with high strike skills and zero diving attacks. They almost never attempt to even climb the turnbuckle and will throw much more fluid combos than my average wrestler guys.

Maybe something like this could be implemented eventually. I'm an online player, but I know alot of people that would prefer the single player experience to be rewarding enough to keep them coming back. The community in games like this can tend to be very negative, and that understandably keeps people away. They shouldn't be forced to deal with the kind of cheese tactics or lag you see online if they don't want to. So making sure Anderson isn't shooting for doubles or DC isn't throwing head kicks would really be a nice touch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »