Home

Mirror matching

This is a discussion on Mirror matching within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Mirror matching

Mirror matches don't bother me, multiple games allows this. Not just EA UFC, basketball, football, soccer, arcade fighters, racing games and so on. Do people dislike those match ups on other games yes some people do. To me it's just another match.

EA UFC's live events in EA UFC 2 functioned off of mirror matches, you could only keep your fighter by winning, losing meant being forced to use the other fighter. I could understand how some may feel frustrated about it having to fight someone who has everything the same as you, and maybe some feel that cost them to lose that match. Live events mode W/O mirror matches would mean I pick Jones now you're stuck with Cormier.

WWE Games don't allow direct mirror matches but they do allow alternate versions of that same wrestler mirror matches. UFC Undisputed 2009 also did not allow mirror matches. Which sometimes caused match delays because someone wouldn't ready up because someone picked the fighter they wanted to use, which could be solved by picking someone else.

I'm uncertain about how many people actually used the featured fighters in ranked matches but two people grinding for that +5 could potentially cause a mirror match. With the picking your fighter and then joining a session like EA UFC 2 does it's impossible to not have mirror matches. Most fighters picked in ranked matches were picked either for a movesets, favorite fighter, stats, perks, playing it safe or taking a chance.

I don't know exactly but imo I feel like stats and movesets were the most common reason why some people chose a fighter. Out of my last fights I've only had one mirror match for the title. Mirror matches probably happened more because someone picked a fighter as a counter for a potential cheap gameplan they may encounter which their opponent may have also been thinking.

People stayed away from picking lower rated fighters because their stats, or movesets just couldn't match up to that of higher rated fighters. I feel like fighters in EA UFC 3 will be more unique and the game will feel more balanced this time around.

EA UFC 3 is a new game EA UFC 2 tactics will not work in this game without consequences so I believe we will see alot more of the roster being used.

EA may consider It though, your voice is surely heard by the Devs.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:42 AM   #10
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Double Confirmation is the best thing against mirror matches. Simply disabling mirror matches is a terrible idea, because a division might have a clear best fighter. If only one player can pick that fighter, than the balance goes out the window.

IMO, the ideal would be a DC that shows the tier of the opponent, but not the exact fighter he is getting. BUT each player would have the option to reveall his pick, in case he wouldn't be worried about the very small effect of style counterpicking... and he wants to help avoiding mirror matches.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #11
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasel
I always said it's ridiculous that it's an option, especially in ranked. Just not seeing who your opponent wants to pick is so ridiculous on its own, do you not want us to enjoy the matches? Let both players agree on a fun match up ESPECIALLY in ranked. No wonder everyone picks the champ when they want to keep their ranked score high, I ended up picking fighters I really don't want to fight as just because I didn't want my ranked score to go down and then I see my opponent has picked the same fighter I didn't even wanna pick.

I literally see no cons in having players on both sides agree to the match ups with their fighters just like fighters accept fights IRL.

I enjoy having those little draft picks in normal matches when you hover over a fighter, then your opponent moves to someone else, until you both settle on a match up you're both confident about, makes the entire experience so much better, and it doesn't take more than 30 seconds on average.

I ended up playing mostly on normal even though the competition was much lower skilled so I had to give up on either generic match ups or low ceiling of skill level. Just really see zero benefit in hiding your opponent picks.

One suggestion I made a very long time ago after EA UFC 1 launched, was to (if the devs really can't detach from discreet ranked picks) have the fighter that both players pick, get locked from the draft and have both players pick again, OR just have the option for each player to ban up to 3 fighters sort of like they do in Smite ranked

But having both fighters see their opponent picks is best.
Why double-confirmation sucks (in my opinion):

- You pick Stipe
- I pick Hunt so I can strike with you
- You see that I pick Hunt and know that's a dangerous matchup
- You pick Cain so you can take me down easily and lay on me
- I see that you picked Cain because you want to win at any cost
- I pick Werdum so I can submit you from bottom
- You see that I pick Werdum, and on and on it goes

This kind of "meta match" before the actual match is stupid and it skews competitive results.

Double confirmation was actually standard in Street Fighter 4, and here is what happened. Any time I picked Vega (my favorite character), 80% of my opponents would counter-pick me with Blanka. Blanka was a super bad matchup for Vega. And this would happen with all the characters. I see you pick Zangief, so I pick Ryu so I can run away and spam you to death with fireballs. If I didn't know who you picked, I might've picked someone else. In Super Street Fighter 4, blind pick was introduced to eliminate these counter-picking games.

Double-confirmation relies on the rosy notion that players are altruistic and "want a fun matchup." What years of online gaming has taught me is that players want a fun matchup when nobody is keeping score, aka QuickMatch. In ranked fights, people are playing to win, period.

The solution to creating a dynamic Ranked experience is not to force people to have a gentleman's agreement, which is very easy for non-altruistic scumbags to exploit or at least make complicated and arduous; it's to create a gameplay system wherein there are a large number of viable fighters. Rather than saying "Shogun sucks & nobody will ever pick him unless they know they're fighting someone else who sucks" -- you say "What is Shogun actually good at?" and then you craft the core mechanics and his stats to make him actually usable.

People who want double confirmation seem to be saying "Come down to my level and suck with me so that we both suck together." And I'm saying, that's missing the point. Too many fighters suck to begin with. You shouldn't need to shake hands and make a gentleman's agreement to both use suck-@ss fighters, you should be able to use more fighters who don't suck major @ss because the game said so.

Last edited by ZombieRommel; 11-23-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #12
MVP

I really want double confirmation. Nothing is the worst than mirror matching. Its really boring and makes lose interest in the gameplay.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 1

All this could be solved if they would just make us choose a fighter before we get matched up and have it match us up with someone who picked a similar OVR fighter.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #14
Pro

So many terrible ideas thrown around here. Stick to quick if you hate mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »