Home

Head movement after getting hit

This is a discussion on Head movement after getting hit within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Head movement after getting hit

What are people's thoughts on head movement?

I've been messing around in Practise mode with it. Had a jab-cross-jab-cross combo come my way and the first jab connected which stopped me from moving my head at all.

I can still move my legs and block but the head is stuck dead centre.

Should this be unlocked, so we can move our head even whilst getting hit?

Personally, it would make head movement much more defensively viable.

I've noticed online people tend to go straight to block after being hit on the head so I'm guessing others aren't finding it use-able after getting hit too.

Maybe my eyes are tricking me and I can actually control my head movement whilst getting hit but something feels off and I get wrecked anytime I try to move head when being combo'd.

Even when I know the guy will 1-2-1-2, and he initiates, I'm unable to move my head after the 1 connects, especially if I stay on the spot. This makes staying in the pocket much more difficult.

Anyone else have similar views?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Head movement after getting hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
What are people's thoughts on head movement?

I've been messing around in Practise mode with it. Had a jab-cross-jab-cross combo come my way and the first jab connected which stopped me from moving my head at all.

I can still move my legs and block but the head is stuck dead centre.

Should this be unlocked, so we can move our head even whilst getting hit?

Personally, it would make head movement much more defensively viable.

I've noticed online people tend to go straight to block after being hit on the head so I'm guessing others aren't finding it use-able after getting hit too.

Maybe my eyes are tricking me and I can actually control my head movement whilst getting hit but something feels off and I get wrecked anytime I try to move head when being combo'd.

Even when I know the guy will 1-2-1-2, and he initiates, I'm unable to move my head after the 1 connects, especially if I stay on the spot. This makes staying in the pocket much more difficult.

Anyone else have similar views?

Hell yes! You would think this would be in the game after 3 iterations. I think it's a matter of resources being limited to the devs. (When in reality you're not even adding anything to the development cycle). I'm sure it's as simple as (in your words) "unlocking".

XBGT: Jodie McGregor
Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
MVP

Play from around 10 seconds in. Notice how they take a shot and immediately can lean, sway, counter, defend afterwards. This is the sort of in the pocket mechanic we need to be a successful in-fighter or be able to use head movement with more confidence, especially up close.

The stun mechanic halts the flow of movement and locks you up so you have to block or retreat, where a crafty fighter could dodge and counter. That fight with Holloway right at the end of the fight where both go toe to toe is a good example.

Especially important for punches.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 AM   #4
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Hmm, pretty sure you can still move your head, it just depends on the strike being thrown after the jab. If it's followed by a straight, chances are you'll be caught before being able to slip to either side, if it's followed by a hook I think you're able to lean back or forward. I could be wrong.

If you mix up footwork with leaning (as in circling not a side step), I'm thinking you possibly can slip to the side of a straight after a jab though? Also could be wrong.

Little deets that could indeed be tuned up if lacking. But the jab should still and always be a viable weapon to set up strikes (a straight even more so). But yeah, if the stun behind it is too much that you indeed can't move your head whatsoever, it should definitely be tuned up.

I think it should be bound to the head movement stats if one is fast enough to slip a straight after being caught by a jab. That and bound to the speed stat of the aggressor of course.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 11-30-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #5
MVP

Watching others to look a bit more carefully, notice Conor lands a jab-cross-jab-cross at 2:24 and Diaz is stuck in place, that's the thing I was noticing too when I played.

This guy probably didn't even attempt to move his head at that point, so maybe it is possible but I weren't able to do it once stunned.

Will try that circling thing you mentioned as another defense.

Maybe as a gameplay mechanic, the stun mechanic makes sense, as counter punches are so deadly now and quite easy to pull off, so the game rewards you somewhat for initiating the attack. Plus if we weren't stunned, then these 3-4 punch combos would be much more risky than they currently are, as you might catch me with the 1-2 but I've shifted my weight to the back leg and am about to duck down and throw a huge overhand to intercept your next jab.

It's the stun itself that's my issue but I'll get over it. I'd like to be able to head movement if I want to head movement, instead of being forced to block but oh well. THQ had stuns too as did EA MMA I think.

EDIT: Perhaps GPD could reduce the stun time window and allow for a quick slip or head movement in between the opponent's punches? So the punch time it takes for the guy to recover and throw his next one, I can move my head if I choose to.

Punch lands on face, your options:
> Block
> Move away and block
> Circle
> Move head, duck
> Throw back

Not sure what people's thoughts are though.

Last edited by AydinDubstep; 11-30-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2017, 11:38 AM   #6
Pro

Donnie_Brasco_FR's Arena

Getting hit by what?
Only a jab? or all the shots?
do we have the time to put our guard after getting hit during a head sway?
Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep

Watching others to look a bit more carefully, notice Conor lands a jab-cross-jab-cross at 2:24 and Diaz is stuck in place, that's the thing I was noticing too when I played.

This guy probably didn't even attempt to move his head at that point, so maybe it is possible but I weren't able to do it once stunned.

Will try that circling thing you mentioned as another defense.

Maybe as a gameplay mechanic, the stun mechanic makes sense, as counter punches are so deadly now and quite easy to pull off, so the game rewards you somewhat for initiating the attack. Plus if we weren't stunned, then these 3-4 punch combos would be much more risky than they currently are, as you might catch me with the 1-2 but I've shifted my weight to the back leg and am about to duck down and throw a huge overhand to intercept your next jab.

It's the stun itself that's my issue but I'll get over it. I'd like to be able to head movement if I want to head movement, instead of being forced to block but oh well. THQ had stuns too as did EA MMA I think.

EDIT: Perhaps GPD could reduce the stun time window and allow for a quick slip or head movement in between the opponent's punches? So the punch time it takes for the guy to recover and throw his next one, I can move my head if I choose to.

Punch lands on face, your options:
> Block
> Move away and block
> Circle
> Move head, duck
> Throw back

Not sure what people's thoughts are though.
I would still prefer if it was bound to the stats of both fighters, depending on the speed of the attacker, and the head movement and possibly footwork of the defender.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebaldwin
I would still prefer if it was bound to the stats of both fighters, depending on the speed of the attacker, and the head movement and possibly footwork of the defender.
For sure dude. Can you imagine Anderson Silva, how scary it would be to face a competent Silva, who just ducks and rolls your punches and counters like it's nothing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »