Home

Complexity of stand up controls: discussion

This is a discussion on Complexity of stand up controls: discussion within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3
Complexity of stand up controls: discussion

For me, fight night champion had the best controls, just by flicking the right stick you could jab, throw a straight, hook, uppercut etc. Then with the power modifier, you could throw all those punches with some force. Without getting into detail everything was straight forward, simple, easy to memorize and fun to use.

Now I know mma is much more complex than boxing, but I can't ever remember a ufc game with controls that are so uncomfortable to use

Let's start with special moves. Right now using Pettis, I'm trying to do a push kick to the stomach. I would expect the controls to be a modifier, with the kick button, while pushing forward on the left stick?

Instead it's L2 + L1 + o + triangle

May not seem like a lot, and yes, I could "just memorize the controls and get on with it", but doesn't that just feel odd to anyone else? Pressing triangle and o together doesn't feel normal, it feels clunky. Add to that the L2, L1 and it just seems unnecessary.

There's even some moves that require L2 L1 R1 AND two face buttons.

Idk maybe I'm tired from studying for midterms, but it feels like I have to study and memorize every fighters complex move-sets.

I'd be interested in others thoughts on the current layout
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Complexity of stand up controls: discussion

Eh

I’ve played other fighting games it doesnt seem so bad to ne.

There’s just so much you can do in MMA and they gotta find ways to give us access to all of em
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Banned

Almost zero games in history use L1+LB because most people are right-handed and using index and middle finger while coordinating the thumb is uncomfortable to most human beings. EA is now trying to fight nature

But I'm sure someone will come defend it. "Poor EA, they had no choice!!!"
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Eh

I’ve played other fighting games it doesnt seem so bad to ne.

There’s just so much you can do in MMA and they gotta find ways to give us access to all of em
Yes. People used to classic fight games will likely have an easier time getting use dto the controls. And even those who haven't, will probably git gud pretty soon, too, most likely within a week or so.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
MVP

I love the new scheme BECAUSE it's hard. This severely limits tornado kick spam and all that. My only issue is that sometimes the wrong kick or punch will come out because it only registered one button being pressed when I was holding two.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #6
Pro

mannyonelover's Arena

I grew up playing Street fighter virtual fighter Mortal Kombat Tekken and I’m not gonna lie this is by far the most complex It has some similarities but is definitely going to take some time

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 12-03-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilllyBopaw
Almost zero games in history use L1+LB because most people are right-handed and using index and middle finger while coordinating the thumb is uncomfortable to most human beings.
Yea I guess this is what made me write the post. In the middle of fights when I see an opportunity to throw the push kick, I find I have to mentally pause, pick up my left hand, then place it down on both triggers, while trying to hit o and triangle with my thumb. By the time I do that, the opportunity the throw the kick is long gone.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:57 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jon
Yea I guess this is what made me write the post. In the middle of fights when I see an opportunity to throw the push kick, I find I have to mentally pause, pick up my left hand, then place it down on both triggers, while trying to hit o and triangle with my thumb. By the time I do that, the opportunity the throw the kick is long gone.
It's a shame about the Bucs today they should have kept Fitzpatrick as the starter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »