Home

"Strike Recording" in practice mode is awesome!!!

This is a discussion on "Strike Recording" in practice mode is awesome!!! within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: "Strike Recording" in practice mode is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
This mode was actually my pet-project during development. I proposed the idea during UFC 2 but it got cut due to resources, so for UFC 3 I built it mostly on my own time and it got cut not once, not twice, but three different times! Was a bit of a roller-coaster, but I really wanted to get it in so I kept working at it anyways when I could.

I'm really glad it's turned into something actually useful that people can leverage to get better at the game. The game changers have also been using it to show us a bunch of bugs in the striking which is super good.

As for grappling, you can record clinch attempts and takedowns, but as soon as the fighters actually connect the recording will stop there. So, you can definitely practice the AI throwing a combo followed by a single or double leg, or even an imanari roll!

Two changes that have gone in post-beta is that the AI will perform the exact takedown you recorded (random in the beta), and the AI will correctly record and playback blocks.

Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Well played!

I was new to UFC 2 and found it frustrating you couldnt set a specific combo to practice against.

Glad you persevered with it!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
This mode was actually my pet-project during development. I proposed the idea during UFC 2 but it got cut due to resources, so for UFC 3 I built it mostly on my own time and it got cut not once, not twice, but three different times! Was a bit of a roller-coaster, but I really wanted to get it in so I kept working at it anyways when I could.

I'm really glad it's turned into something actually useful that people can leverage to get better at the game. The game changers have also been using it to show us a bunch of bugs in the striking which is super good.

As for grappling, you can record clinch attempts and takedowns, but as soon as the fighters actually connect the recording will stop there. So, you can definitely practice the AI throwing a combo followed by a single or double leg, or even an imanari roll!

Two changes that have gone in post-beta is that the AI will perform the exact takedown you recorded (random in the beta), and the AI will correctly record and playback blocks.

Hope you continue to enjoy it!
Amazing work! I tried recording a clinch attempt, but it doesn't work.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil97
Amazing work! I tried recording a clinch attempt, but it doesn't work.
Things only work at the range you recorded them at. So you have to go to record playback, actually clinch the other fighter, playback off, break clinch, stand at clinch range, playback on.

It's the same way if you record a super out of range strike, then go stand in the pocket the AI won't throw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211
Things only work at the range you recorded them at. So you have to go to record playback, actually clinch the other fighter, playback off, break clinch, stand at clinch range, playback on.

It's the same way if you record a super out of range strike, then go stand in the pocket the AI won't throw.
Not working man. I can get the takedowns working though. I've been trying all ranges. I'm well aware of that part after playing with it for an hour. No clinch attempts are there.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #13
EA Sports UFC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget7211

Correct! We tried a few different setups for this, and requiring the user to be in the range they recorded from was the one we settled on. Gives the most utility with the fewest drawbacks (not to say none exist).

So when you start a recording, the range you're at is noted and playback won't start until you are in that range. During playback, however, there is a decent amount of leeway for how far away you can get compared to the actual recording.

The ranges are elbow, clinch, boxing, kicking, step-kick, and out of range. Essentially, these are like zones that the fighters are in, respective to the opponent. This is used heavily throughout gameplay, so understanding these zones can actually really help you improve your game.

A good way to get a sense for this is to do a full recording (full yellow bar) in the pocket without moving the AI around. Once the playback starts, just walk away from the AI and see how far you can get before the playback is cancelled early.

The only exception to this rule is out of range, since technically it is infinite in size. If you record something starting from out of range, then playback will begin when you are within five feet of the recorded distance, instead of anywhere within the out of range 'zone'.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
EA Sports UFC Developer

Quote:
Not working man. I can get the takedowns working though. I've been trying all ranges. I'm well aware of that part after playing with it for an hour. No clinch attempts are there.
Interesting...I'll double check this and if they're not working get them fixed for release
Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Correct! We tried a few different setups for this, and requiring the user to be in the range they recorded from was the one we settled on. Gives the most utility with the fewest drawbacks (not to say none exist).

So when you start a recording, the range you're at is noted and playback won't start until you are in that range. During playback, however, there is a decent amount of leeway for how far away you can get compared to the actual recording.

The ranges are elbow, clinch, boxing, kicking, step-kick, and out of range. Essentially, these are like zones that the fighters are in, respective to the opponent. This is used heavily throughout gameplay, so understanding these zones can actually really help you improve your game.

A good way to get a sense for this is to do a full recording (full yellow bar) in the pocket without moving the AI around. Once the playback starts, just walk away from the AI and see how far you can get before the playback is cancelled early.

The only exception to this rule is out of range, since technically it is infinite in size. If you record something starting from out of range, then playback will begin when you are within five feet of the recorded distance, instead of anywhere within the out of range 'zone'.
What's ironic, is this whole mechanism coupled with things like the Diaz 1-2-1-2 actually makes things play out in a like a whole different realm. He only throws it when you are right in range. It's quite fascinating to play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
What's ironic, is this whole mechanism coupled with things like the Diaz 1-2-1-2 actually makes things play out in a like a whole different realm. He only throws it when you are right in range. It's quite fascinating to play.
Wow, that's a use for this I never considered.

This is going to be a crazy training tool for people who put in the time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »