Home

Ground game and stamina watching

This is a discussion on Ground game and stamina watching within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-06-2017, 04:11 PM   #1
MVP

Trillz's Arena

OVR: 0
Ground game and stamina watching

At high level grappling, there is more stamina watching and waiting for a move for your opponent. I feel this will change alot more if stamina bar was hidden.

Once u miss a denial they are instantly going to make their move and if you dont make a move they will wait on top until you do to deny!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2017, 04:36 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Ground game and stamina watching

In theory, I guess I could see how someone would think this is how high level ground play goes, but in reality it doesn't.

Yes, sometimes there is waiting but not every time. Real high level play involves faking transitions and another thing you forgot that makes transitions easier to execute and not be denied, grapple advantage. GA allows you to build up if the opponent is just waiting. Or even better if they strike from the postured position so you can block and gain even more.

Another thing is momentum advantage which will get you out of tough spots unless they preemptively deny.

One thing I will agree with though is having a big stat advantage can turn it into a waiting game. If you have Khabib it can be almost impossible to get off the bottom. But, Edson vs. Conor would never be like that.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Rookie

YourFatZebra's Arena

I would say that it can feel this way if you stop throwing strikes. Like if you both decide to try and have a Jiu-Jitsu match, as some of my friends did in UFC 2, it becomes really hard to do anything without transition faking.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

As a guy who is obsessed with BJJ, the ground game in EA UFC 2-3 is by far the most video gamey aspect of the game.

I basically avoid the ground in these games, which is crazy because i'm obsessed with grappling IRL.

"Grapple Advantage" is one of most unrealistic, video gamey, bogus mechanics i've ever seen.

Horribly animated "fakes"....

OP is right.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
In theory, I guess I could see how someone would think this is how high level ground play goes, but in reality it doesn't.

Yes, sometimes there is waiting but not every time. Real high level play involves faking transitions and another thing you forgot that makes transitions easier to execute and not be denied, grapple advantage. GA allows you to build up if the opponent is just waiting. Or even better if they strike from the postured position so you can block and gain even more.

Another thing is momentum advantage which will get you out of tough spots unless they preemptively deny.

One thing I will agree with though is having a big stat advantage can turn it into a waiting game. If you have Khabib it can be almost impossible to get off the bottom. But, Edson vs. Conor would never be like that.
Lol, one of my last beta fights I was Connor, against a pretty good Tony, he went for an Iminari, I denied and got mount.. and proceeded a hold him down and punch him up for the rest of the round, all he could do was spam rubber guard (couldn't for the life of me deny it) but he knew how to deny, and once I saw that did turn into a waiting game a little, od throw little strikes for GA (because.. that makes sense lol) and get half, he'd deny side, fake back sitting, go for guard, I'd deny. This went on and on.

Round 2, I'm thinking okay, stalemate, he won't try and take me down, let's strike, few exchanges later he rolls on a heelhook, I deny, mount, side, let him roll to sprawl, then he went to standup with 0 stam and apparently Connor has the guillotine reversal.

It was odd. But I have to agree, I learnt all my ground game offline. So transition fakes are the weakest part of my ground game in 2-3, the rest is muscle memory, its all pretty much easy at this point (denials, subs, ect) and matches against good players can stale out into waiting games, but the few reeeeally good players I've had have actually reminded me how fun the grappling system can be, very fast paced yet tactical. I usually survive, but can't mount much significant offense, unless they rely on the same fakes and I time them.

Rubber guard spam is still a problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Banned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yo1NUdmaT54

10:45 of that video.

Ryan Hall talks about how high level BJJ is about patience/ not over exposing yourself.

If anything the game got that part right.

Strikes affecting GA is supposed to symbolize your opponent’s reacting to the strikes which opens up your ground game.

One thing i HATE is fakes shouldnt be able to be denied but they should use more stamina to prevent spam. Everything on the ground should use more long term stamina
Old 12-07-2017, 10:44 AM   #7
Rookie

There's not enough stamina drain (for bottom fighter) when you make someone work beneath you, deny his transitions, posture up to work the body etc.
There should be levels to this.
Sit in Full Guard/Half Guard Top, deny transitions = smallest stamina drain for BOTTOM
Side Control/BSC/Side Sattle= middle stamina drain
Mount/Crucifix/Back Mount/Back Sitting= highest stamina drain.

It will reward players more to constantly moving on top and not sit around for points in easy controlable positions.
Nah?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillz
At high level grappling, there is more stamina watching and waiting for a move for your opponent. I feel this will change alot more if stamina bar was hidden.

Once u miss a denial they are instantly going to make their move and if you dont make a move they will wait on top until you do to deny!
we need some new transition options on the ground

(I love the new side control option as an example!!!....but, could use several more options in the various positions)

Also, one thing I really miss about EA MMA was Minor Transitons vs. Major Transitions.

You could be methodical and go from Guard to Half Guard to Mount ----

Or try to pass directly from Guard to Side Control (or even Mount if I recall) in one attempt!

Of course, that was much more difficult than the methodical way of doing things. But that ability to go for the base hit or go for the home run helped make things dynamic.

Making the ground game dynamic instead of static = key for longevity of this game in my book ---- people will get tired of the standup eventually
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »