Home

Pregame worries

This is a discussion on Pregame worries within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #57
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Pregame worries

Can we buck this trend of people not articulating their points well and then implying that I'm only replying to argue semantics?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:09 AM   #58
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
But my main concern right now is the striking game ending up being just as reliant on combos as the last game again.
It's not. There's no ridiculous multiplier.

Quote:
Which the way the combo system in implemented almost forces you to use combos. Even with this nice new vulnerability system, combos seem to be the key to striking again, which we all wanted to get away from with the combo multiplier. So if almost feels like we've steered away from one combo issue right into another.
Combo's and single strikes do the same amount of damage. How are you being forced to throw combinations exactly?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:11 AM   #59
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Francis Ngannou
Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #60
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Can we buck this trend of people not articulating their points well and then implying that I'm only replying to argue semantics?
You can't say, "no one had a problem with combos" and then the very next sentence say, "people hated the combo multiplier"... wtf lol. So people had a problem with combos, correct?

The only disagreement and question is, will this become a game just as frustratingly & heavily dominated by combos but with a different system? I simply see the same issues occurring even with vulnerability. Hell, I was able to end fights with one strong modified strike in UFC 2 too, I'm sure you did too! As long as the opponent was in the middle of throwing a heavy punch as well, and that's the same feeling I pretty much got in the beta, it's just wrapped up in a different, prettier package.

At the same time, more fights don't seem to go the distance with the vulnerability but what I'm saying is we have a lot of the same possible issues arising. The newness of it all can wear off real quick and we start to realize we have the same problems as last time, but with a different combo system.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2018, 12:41 AM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
You can't say, "no one had a problem with combos" and then the very next sentence say, "people hated the combo multiplier"... wtf lol. So people had a problem with combos, correct?

Your whole point (based on your wording [I can only reply to how you articulate]) was that people were upset with combos being the dominant form of engagement. Not the multiplier, the fact that you had to throw combos. So I clarified that people were mad at the multiplier, NOT the fact they had to throw combos.

The only disagreement and question is, will this become a game just as frustratingly & heavily dominated by combos but with a different system? I simply see the same issues occurring even with vulnerability. Hell, I was able to end fights with one strong modified strike in UFC 2 too, I'm sure you did too! As long as the opponent was in the middle of throwing a heavy punch as well, and that's the same feeling I pretty much got in the beta, it's just wrapped up in a different, prettier package.

Uh, yes, it will be dominated by combos. . . because that's how striking works. What do you suggest the game be centered around? Hugging? The good MMA fighters don't fight based on one punch because it isn't effective.
Some do, so the game allows you to one punch KO someone. It just doesn't happen as frequently. Just like real life.

At the same time, more fights don't seem to go the distance with the vulnerability but what I'm saying is we have a lot of the same possible issues arising. The newness of it all can wear off real quick and we start to realize we have the same problems as last time, but with a different combo system.

The only problems we had last time with the combo system have been eliminated entirely. There could be other issues that arise, but it will be impossible to "realize" the combo multiplier is back or that people are throwing unrealistic combos because those features have been obliterated. I am strongly doubting that you thought your comments through before posting.

Outdated comment system blows.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 AM   #62
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Entertained
If the game really is "perfect" then it won't matter because it'll be so good that it will end up being a timeless classic.
It will still have to compete with games with a better tech. And the timeless classics that exist weren't all made in gigantic development cycles that aimed for the perfect game, right? The demands just keep rising.

You're not also buying this take a long time to release the perfect game stuff, are you?
Old 01-08-2018, 01:18 AM   #63
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
Outdated comment system blows.
Wha...what? You almost make it sound like one punch KOs or KDs happen less frequently than KOs/KDs via combo??! If so, what alternate dimension do you come from?? The reason Cerrone's combo ending strikes to Story was so crazy is because it looked like it came off a video game...not something we see very often in reality.

Our best KO artists CAN and will throw combos, but to end the fight they mostly rely on one strike KOs or counters generally...Hendo, Shogun, Machida, A. Silva, Ngannou, Overeem, Mirko, Big Country, McGregor, etc etc...and just about all their best KOs are from counters & one strike KOs. Some do have effective combos, but most their biggest highlights came from single strikes & counters.

Good solid fundamental combo striking happens, but it's not nearly as reliable or deadly as you are making it suddenly seem. They throw them only when the time is right (unless their name is Holly Holm), and nothing close to how this system has it set up in the beta. I think you might be the one not thinking this all out too well bub. MMA is not boxing and combos are one of those things that aren't as dominant in this fighting sport is it is in others.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 AM   #64
MVP

You're just not remembering right or processing what you're seeing correctly. McGregor, for example, only has one 1HKO in the UFC. The rest were combo finishes.

And from a pure gameplay perspective, trading one shot back and forth doesn't make for very compelling gameplay. It's a good thing that's not how fighting works most of the time. There's nothing more to discuss here if your perception of reality is this skewed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »