Home

Constructive Criticism

This is a discussion on Constructive Criticism within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #49
MVP

SUGATA's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Constructive Criticism

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
None of it bothers me on a personal or professional level at all. I come here for critique not praise.

But what really bothers me, and has compelled me to respond more and more lately, is the blatant misinformation being spread in a lot of these threads.

Threads that casual or new players might wander into to see if the new UFC game is going to be any good.

And all they see is the most passionate of the fans talking about how the game has taken steps backward since UFC 1, how EA is lazy and barely updated the game.

And instead of growing our community, we drive people away from ever trying it.

That's what bugs me.
Then more reactions (replies) to them is appreciated.

Because your replies are a stimulus to research and report more. And vice versa.

For ex, i have very little % of your responses to my threads - one of the last was here:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...cs-issues.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Good post, but they are always so long so I can't reply to it all at once until I get a bit of time to sit down and type.

Not ignoring, just can't get to it quite yet.
... i am still waiting)

I dont think that my _constructive criticism_ posts are "blatant misinformation"... and some times i really begin to think that i just wasted my time w/o use for game development, and this is very frustrating.

Last edited by SUGATA; 01-12-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #50
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Just because he doesn't reply doesn't mean he's not seeing/using your work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #51
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
I'd think outside the box and get another artist or two. That's if the artists can't possibly consider a new approach?

Considering how some of the fighters look are we sure the artists are even right for the job? (Throughout the series) Not everyone is good at every job, it's a fact. If people don't accept that fact then a sub par product can get released.

I don't understand how a some fighters can look so bad, and someone actually signed off on it thinking it was acceptable put it in the game. Is there quality control?
How is that thinking outside the box? You are just hiring more people. Reminder if you hire two more artists that money has to come from somewhere and is likely going to hurt another aspect of the game. Like I said, I'd rather that time and money go into other aspects of the game.

Yes, there is quality control. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone looks at things differently. I, for one havent had an issue with alot of the models but I'm also not a perfectionist. If 20 of the 250 plus fighters are off, its not the end of the world to me.

Its the same with most games. I have issues with how some of the fighters look in WWE but thats expected with a roster that size. Same with UFC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #52
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Just because he doesn't reply doesn't mean he's not seeing/using your work.

Yeah, or maybe not. That's why he's asking for a answer or anything really. He has the right to not answer, same as we have the right to ask..

So strict.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #53
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acebaldwin
Yeah, or maybe not. That's why he's asking for a answer or anything really. He has the right to not answer, same as we have the right to ask..

So strict.
What?

Are you saying as much as GPD posts that he doesn't see SUGATA's essays? I've seen him go back and forth with SUGATA in a thread. I've seen him acknowledge SUGATA and his work. I've seen him give SUGATA props on his thinking.

Legit question: do any of you venture out into other parts of this site? There aren't many devs on this site that interact with the community as much as GPD. I reference WWE2K again in which I don't think I've ever seen a dev in that section let alone taking feedback from the community. Hop over to that section and see how some blatant bugs/issues get left untouched, how community requests that have been there for years get ignored, and it's pretty much a ghost town with little to no interaction.

I can barely keep up with the threads being made here. I can't imagine GPD has enough time to sit down and respond to the many questions/issues that come up on here on a daily basis.

And miss me with that strict comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #54
Banned

That mod just gave him attitude... BAN HIM.

But I think we all know GPD Dev is awesome. This dude needs to be put in complete control of the game. It’s pretty obviois that the more control he has the better the game becomes.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #55
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGATA
Then more reactions (replies) to them is appreciated.

Because your replies are a stimulus to research and report more. And vice versa.

For ex, i have very little % of your responses to my threads - one of the last was here:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...cs-issues.html

... i am still waiting)

I dont think that my _constructive criticism_ posts are "blatant misinformation"... and some times i really begin to think that i just wasted my time w/o use for game development, and this is very frustrating.
OK, time for a little tough love here. I really hope you don't take this the wrong way, because you are a valuable member of the community.

Your posts tend to be very big, with many, many items to go through. To the point where it would probably take me over an hour to do so properly. Posting on the forums is not part of my job, I do it because I enjoy it and I believe it helps me do my job better, while giving back to the community.

Your posts point out some very useful and valuable observations. Your frame advantage posts from the UFC 2 days were extremely useful, to the point our gameplay producer printed them out and brought them to meetings.

Some of your points are less important but still valid.

Some of your points are flat out wrong. A small percentage, but still enough that it's something I've come to expect.

When I engage with you on the less important or flat our wrong points, you tend to argue with me about it. That costs me even more time, and makes me feel compelled to continue to answer for fear of appearing smug or rude. For a concrete example, the deterministic simulation for online discussion, or some of the recent dead zone discussions.

Also please appreciate that I have dozens of people emailing me and coming by to talk to me at work about things I am paid to do, and have to do actual coding on the game.

I need to protect my time as best I can.

If the ways I chose to do that offend you, I'm sorry.

It's probably my fault for giving off the impression that I can and will respond to every quality post. I can't.

I read as much as I can, and respond where I feel my response will add value.

If someone posts something good, that has value, the best outcome is I just take what I need and act on it here at work.

Once that's been done, spending any more time on it doesn't help the game anymore.

And that post you quoted wasn't our last interaction.

I replied to you 3-4 times about the dead zone stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #56
Banned

Acebaldwin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
What?

Are you saying as much as GPD posts that he doesn't see SUGATA's essays? I've seen him go back and forth with SUGATA in a thread. I've seen him acknowledge SUGATA and his work. I've seen him give SUGATA props on his thinking.

Legit question: do any of you venture out into other parts of this site? There aren't many devs on this site that interact with the community as much as GPD. I reference WWE2K again in which I don't think I've ever seen a dev in that section let alone taking feedback from the community. Hop over to that section and see how some blatant bugs/issues get left untouched, how community requests that have been there for years get ignored, and it's pretty much a ghost town with little to no interaction.

I can barely keep up with the threads being made here. I can't imagine GPD has enough time to sit down and respond to the many questions/issues that come up on here on a daily basis.

And miss me with that strict comment.

See above? If he hadn't ask, he wouldn't have had a answer. Stop playing heel, we all understand what you said, it's common knowledge and we know we're lucky to have GPD as part of the community, but with this comes the hope he answers some of our questions more frequentely. Call it greed, call it whatever, but it's how it goes, it's on what humanity strives the most for, wanting for more more and more. Always.

I'm just busting his balls for the list by the way, I know it's in the marketing team hands, but I feel like he should have just straight up went and sent it on his twitter or something instead of asking that marketing team that honestly, feels like it could be a lot better.

Last edited by Acebaldwin; 01-12-2018 at 03:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »