Home

GPD's official response to Finish the Fight discussion

This is a discussion on GPD's official response to Finish the Fight discussion within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: GPD's official response to Finish the Fight discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEvil
Yes.

But lets not pretend the animation of landing additional blows to a dead opponent was realistic.

When they have the resources to add ref interaction, i'm sure they'll find a way to bring this back in an appropriate way. Until then, I don't see the problem and was expecting this at some point with how often my friends and I comment you're basically murdering a guy in some of these fights with the additional blows you land.
So the feature needs tweaking not removal. Even just reducing the amount of strikes, if that is truly all the time they could dedicate to this feature, would have been much better than removing it all together.

And also "landing additional blows to a dead opponent" is far more realistic than a 100% walk-off KO situation.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #10
Rookie

Sigh...this is like the 20th thread I have read about this very topic. Take what GPD at face value and move on. Crap like this is why most devs won't put themselves out there and interact with the players. Because we groan and complain about EVERYTHING. I won't be surprised if he stops replying and interacting with us because of all this. We just don't know what to do with nice things.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
Rookie

I feel if we had a better tko system it wouldnt be such a major factor. Something sorta like ufc undisputed. But the system should only be activated when fighter is hurt on the ground. Maybe we could get like 1 or 2 strikes to slip in when the ref calls for the fight to be stopped. But yea its not much of a factor to me bcuz finish the fight wasnt done correctly imo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinfarcements
In a now closed thread GPD said this in regards to Finish the Fight after a standing KO:

"As for the KO's from standing, we got a lot of feedback on UFC 2 from consumers, critics (JRE) and the UFC themselves that beating on an unconscious opponent didn't represent the sport well.

So there was a deliberate decision to not allow the ability to dive on the opponent if it was a full on KO, if we didn't have ref interactions. We don't have ref interactions, because we didn't have to resources to put that in given the rest of the work we needed to do, so that was the decision that was made."

I'm here to open discussion on this matter further, rather than letting it die after that statement.

I can understand his reasoning. They received feedback that it wasn't a "good way to represent the sport". Here is the thing though, its the reality of the sport. Its a very real part of the sport. To me this is like taking out cuts and blood from the game. Those things may be brutal or not pretty to look at, yet they are still in the game.

If you are truly concerned about the feature being "too brutal", then tweak it, don't remove it. Reduce the amount of strikes allowed, change the animations, ect. Because if we are being honest, the finishes of fights in EA UFC games have always been lacking in presentation. You discuss lack of ref interaction, so you decide to remove this feature as well, but if you ask me that is going to make it worse. Its the same thing if Madden decided to get rid of the Holding Penalty because they didn't animate Linemen actually holding. I get where you are coming from but at the end of the day it is still stripping features away from an area of the game that needs all the help it can get.

I'm just hoping this decision gets a REALLY hard look before it becomes absolutely final. I don't want to spend the next 2 years watching hundreds of walk-off KOs in-game, while also watching UFC fight cards in real life that very often have zero walk-off KOs.
I prompted GPD for this response and probably came across as too direct which is why the thread could have been closed. I do regret my post alot as it was not supposed to be taken as offensive, but it was just an aspect that i cared about greatly partly due to me being a realism fanatic. However im still standing by my point 100% that this is wrong solution to axe this out of the game for clean KO's and we have to come up with solutions as a community to fix this.

First and foremost i agree there are too many follow up shots allowed currently in EA UFC 2 which makes it look unnecessarily brutal and the best implementation's to bring this feature back that i can personally think of, are either of the following fixes:
  • GPD said that follow up shots can still happen on severe knockdowns but someone pointed out that SK's are rare. So lets make clean KO's much more rare and greatly increase the likehood for an SK to occur instead of the clean KO. Its not actually that often we see clean KO's anyway i.e KO's where someone goes completely stiff.
  • A harder implementation would be to program real AI logic in the referee's, so that depending on distance to the fighters and possibly angle then the referee will work out when to separate/call the fight. This would be much more true and close to an MMA fight and the complete correct solution to this.
Thanks & Regards
AB541

Last edited by ab541; 01-12-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleAgony
Sigh...this is like the 20th thread I have read about this very topic. Take what GPD at face value and move on. Crap like this is why most devs won't put themselves out there and interact with the players. Because we groan and complain about EVERYTHING. I won't be surprised if he stops replying and interacting with us because of all this. We just don't know what to do with nice things.
90% of the purpose of being on this forum is to voice opinions. If this is the 20th thread you have read about this very topic, shouldn't that, you know, raise a concern that maybe people want the feature in the game?

If discussing issues like this is "why most devs won't put themselves out there and interact with players" then we are in trouble. At no point did I bash the game for bashing's sake. This is a concern I have about the game, therefore I am discussing a change I would like to see.

"Take what GPD at face value and move on"

If we all did that this whole time, the 80 + changes since the Beta would not be in the game. So no, I don't think I'm gonna do that.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #14
Rookie

I feel if we had a better tko system it wouldnt be such a major factor. Something sorta like ufc undisputed. But the system should only be activated when fighter is hurt on the ground. Maybe we could get like 1 or 2 strikes to slip in when the ref calls for the fight to be stopped. But yea its not much of a factor to me bcuz finish the fight wasnt done correctly imo
Old 01-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
Rookie

Dzarek's Arena

If you fight with opponnent you do everything to beat him. You are in trance sometimes. You should be able to throw FEW punches after KO. 3-5 punches are enough and add huge immersion. Dosen't matter if you stop or ref did it (I understand resources problem, but I prefer solution from UFC2 rather then remove it completly).

It is part of most real fights so it is really weird to remove it from sim game. One step backward.
Maybe remove GnP during fight also because it's not right to beat someone who is lying on the mat.

Last edited by Dzarek; 01-12-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 05:14 PM   #16
MVP

What????????????? Kidding???????????? What the talking about???? This is UFC, not boxing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »