Home

Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Parries

There was a game (maybe Hajime no Ippo for PS2?) where certain strikes at the right times parried. For example, if both guys have orthodox stance and player A goes for a right straight and player B goes for a jab, the jab would end up being a parry. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, I'm with the majority that I don't want parries at all in the game. It's either going to be overpowered or underpowered that there's no point adding them except for the sake of having the feature. I think it would be fine if Anderson Silva parried successful blocks, purely animation wise.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehFlame
There was a game (maybe Hajime no Ippo for PS2?) where certain strikes at the right times parried. For example, if both guys have orthodox stance and player A goes for a right straight and player B goes for a jab, the jab would end up being a parry. Any thoughts on that?

Anyway, I'm with the majority that I don't want parries at all in the game. It's either going to be overpowered or underpowered that there's no point adding them except for the sake of having the feature. I think it would be fine if Anderson Silva parried successful blocks, purely animation wise.
I agree, and I'm OK with them being under powered. In fact putting an "Attempt" limit on them would prevent the guys that sit there and keep trying it, trying it, trying it. For me I mostly just want to know they are an option for the computer to use against me when I'm playing Career mode. Which already is feeling like a great step in the right direction for me.

Just knowing they were there as a possibility for the CPU to use would add a lot to the game for me. And again, I just figured since the animation was already there, it might be something they could add via a patch.

All that said, I definitely don't want them to be unlimited as "gamey" as that sounds, as I can for sure see the potential for abuse. It seems like something someone should really have to time and use some anticipation for. Rather than just tapping it until their opponent throws a strike, ya know?
Old 01-25-2018, 01:03 AM   #11
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

-It just needs to be tuned properly so it doesn't give you some crazy counter window, and damage buff. If you watch the gif I posted, the guy throws a 1-2 and Almeida parrys both strikes. If you notice, when he parrys the 1, the guy doesn't get stunned in place, he just immediately throws a 2 right after anyways.

-Then make it so you can only parry straight attacks. Jabs/Straights, and Front Kicks/Teeps.

The benefit you gain from this is the ability to defend against straight attacks without breaking down your block, or halting stamina regeneration from head movement, but it requires timing and skill to pull off.

Maybe "underpowered" when compared to UFC 2, but far more realistic, while still being a cool & fun mechanic with real strategic implementation.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports

Last edited by Haz____; 01-25-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
-It just needs to be tuned properly so it doesn't give you some crazy counter window, and damage buff. If you watch the gif I posted, the guy throws a 1-2 and Almeida parrys both strikes. If you notice, when he parrys the 1, the guy doesn't get stunned in place, he just immediately throws a 2 right after anyways.

-Then make it so you can only parry straight attacks. Jabs/Straights, and Front Kicks/Teeps.

The benefit you gain from this is the ability to defend against straight attacks without breaking down your block, or halting stamina regeneration from head movement, but it requires timing and skill to pull off.

Maybe "underpowered" when compared to UFC 2, but far more realistic, while still being a cool & fun mechanic with real strategic implementation.
I hear what your saying , and can dig that. But honestly if they limited the attempts to like 3 per fight, with maybe a perk that would allow someone to almost get a guaranteed parry (I'm thinking a perk that does something like the hand fighting Anderson Silva uses to setup his parries). I think landed parries would be SO infrequent that even if they had a bad stun window it wouldn't really be a horrible thing. Since you'd effectively probably only see 1 successful parry over 10 fights. And that's assuming you played 10 parry experts back to back.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:25 AM   #13
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

I don't see the need to limit them as long as they are realistic. Besides avoiding strikes, the only other advantage should be that it doesn't drain your block. I think the parries should have to be properly timed just like they originally were and they can be real useful against combo spam, which I'm sure is gonna be a thing in this game.

We need all the defensive measures we can get, we just don't need them also giving us some random offensive/countering benefits in most cases. I just want different ways to protect myself.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:34 AM   #14
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHazCode
* Only a limited number of patty ATTEMPTS per fight/round (maybe 3 per fight?)
I super-duper-trupper disagree with this. It's a total deal breaker in design for a simulation fight game. I can't stress this enough.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
Rookie

Little bit OT... But why are in ultimate team when create a fighter the "skills" locked????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 01:41 AM   #16
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
I super-duper-trupper disagree with this. It's a total deal breaker in design for a simulation fight game. I can't stress this enough.
Same here - a limit is just silly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »