Home

The Overhand Punch. What Happened?

This is a discussion on The Overhand Punch. What Happened? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

OVR: 0
The Overhand Punch. What Happened?

So we all know UFC 2 had several different overhand punches.
However, this iteration there are only 2. Odd step back imo.

However, the main problem right now is that the overhand that nearly every fighter has is way too wild.

The punch is almost vertical and the arm is pretty much completely straight. It's rare that a fighter will throw an overhand like that. Even for the guys that are known for throwing wild overhands. For every overhand Roy throws like that.. he'll throw a less wild/more horizontal one.

Like this...

In an ideal world... I'd want to see a much more horizontal overhand and a tighter one with more of an arc in the game.

But this being the default is not acceptable...

It cheapens fights and gives too much of a street fight feeling when everyone is throwing one of the most valuable punches like that. It's what I'd expect an uneducated boxing fan to think all MMA fighters fight like. I'm not trying to say that a wild overhand is never a viable option in a fight... It's just not used nearly as regularly as this game is implying.

I've seen the second overhand in the game... and you really have to search for it to find it because nearly everyone has the really wild/vertical one.

It looks somewhat like the gif below, only more vertical. It's better than the default overhand. Still a bit overly wild (particularly because the only other overhand we have is extremely wild) but it's definitely better. If other overhands can't be added to the game... I strongly believe the overhand that is less wild should be made the default for nearly all of the roster. If you want to try it out yourself... Angela Hill has it.

Here are some ideas/examples of some overhands that I'd like to see added to the game..

I could go all day but as you can see... all of these overhands are more horizontal and don't come so high over the top like the one everyone has in UFC 3. This is more the norm.

Last edited by Serengeti1; 01-25-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: The Overhand Punch. What Happened?

Welcome to the party. Did you not get the beta?
Old 01-25-2018, 08:00 PM   #3
EA Game Changer

MartialMind's Arena

I like this thread... And I'll write more on this later, but in a weird way, when it comes to Animations UFC3 took a step back and it's so disappointing.

Yes, we have more Jab/Straight animations and according to the Devs (Even though I haven't seen this) a second Overhand animation, but that's basically it.

Hooks, Uppercuts, Overhands and Leg kicks, all took a step back.

In UFC2 we had 2 Hook animations.... The normal one and the Heavy one. More should've been added, not removed. Now we have one for EVERY single fighter. It's so annoying.
Same thing for the Uppercuts... we had two.... why do we just have one now? For the overhands, we had at least 3 that I can remember, maybe more. Leg kicks too... we had like 3 different leg kick animations.... I mean, where's the calf kick? Now it's just one.

Each time I think about it I can't help but just get frustrated. More on this later.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #4
Pro

Angela Hill has the new one, its called Haymaker
Old 01-25-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
MVP

I completely agree there should be more move variations, especially on leg and body kicks.

I think its something to do the way the new animation system works, by which I mean, while we had 2 overhand variations in UFC 2, it was literally 2 different animations, whereas the one overhand in the beta technically has 5 different animations, depending on the direction its thrown from.

I think its a lot more time consuming to add new strikes in UFC 3 as they need to make 5 variations of each strike, then fluidly apply it into any combos it can be used in.

Like I said, I completely agree there should be more strike variations, and GPD has hinted at more strike variations (specifically body/leg kicks) coming after launch, which is great because I literally won't be kicking with guys like Hendo until he can throw sloppy *** kicks lol.

I think the overall process is slower and possibly harder now. But the results are much, much better.

P.S: Do we have a unique H-Bomb? Please god let it be so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
North of 60

Morgan Monkman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind
I like this thread... And I'll write more on this later, but in a weird way, when it comes to Animations UFC3 took a step back and it's so disappointing.

Yes, we have more Jab/Straight animations and according to the Devs (Even though I haven't seen this) a second Overhand animation, but that's basically it.

In UFC2 we had 2 Hook animations.... The normal one and the Heavy one. More should've been added, not removed. Now we have one for EVERY single fighter. It's so annoying.
Same thing for the Uppercuts... we had two.... why do we just have one now? For the overhands, we had at least 3 that I can remember, maybe more. Leg kicks too... we had like 3 different leg kick animations.... I mean, where's the calf kick? Now it's just one.

Each time I think about it I can't help but just get frustrated. More on this later.
It has to do with the new RPM tech does it not? Had to rebuild everything from the ground up.

No offense to kajun johnson but i dont think he is the best fighter to be doinf 90% of your mocap
Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartialMind

I can think of 4 overhands.... The wild one. The tighter one. Like Rashad's KO of chuck. One that looked like the overhand that Woodley lands on Thompson above. And then the one Wonderboy had in the game if you remember it.

So from 4 to 2. And the 2 we have aren't too dissimilar.

I think Ngannou has a unique uppercut. I think it's tied to the uppercut input anyway? Kinda looks like a bolo punch. Seems that nearly every other fighter has the same uppercut though.

But yeah, I don't understand the decisions made here at all. We've taken steps forward in fighter individuality but this is a big step back.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #8
Pro

I didn't look at the compete movelist, but I think they changed it up so that you need a specific fighters posture to have Unique moves but I could be wrong. I'll look into this later to weigh in. As well I'm not sure if the fighter type has an effect on what is or isn't available.

I know when I was Bruce Lee he had new kicks plus some of his same leg kicks he had in EA UFC 2. I won't be using too much time looking at only the movelist.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »