Home

input lag!!!

This is a discussion on input lag!!! within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: input lag!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenyc721
I really don't understand why it feels so laggy when striking. Does anyone else notice this? and is there anything that can be done to fix it?
Same problem here
Old 02-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
MVP

Same thing with combos, input a combo, watch it play out. As opposed to, throw punches, see the openings & punch accordingly.

The reward is given to predictive punching & taken away from reactive punching.

This creates a problem when combined with the stun states.

If you get stunned, you are stuck waiting for his combo to finish.

He inputs the combo way before even knowing he will stun you.

What happens then, player 1 inputs a combo, player 2 is forced to wait it out and then it's player 2's turn.

Player 2 could try and counter mid-combo or head movement, but why would he risk it? It's delayed, risky as hell and a complete guess / predictive.

He can't use his head movement to bait, or use much nuance there as he only has 4 directions, with 0 dead zone i.e. full commitment available.

Player 1 chooses to combo predicatively because he knows he gets the speed & damage carry on buff, so both guys are sat there watching the action but not actually part of it in those moments.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #11
MVP

For striking, initial / single strike animations have too much windup time & combo strikes have too little wind up time between strikes.

I think tweaking the single strikes to be somewhat closer to the combo ones, and dialing back the combo ones whilst adding faster head movement chaining could alleviate some of the issue. Combos could still have that damage carrying property to them, making them desirable but organic combos can also be a thing.

Combo punches are RAPID as hell. The jab should be as fast as those chains, especially for fast strikers.

The uppercut has too much wind up.

Do these tweaks and you'll have a more responsive game.

Add some dead zone to head movement and 8 head slots, to add more nuance using the diagonals, and you'll have a more fluid stand up.

For rocked states, don't do the drop to floor one unless severe. Just remove it. Instead, have a temporary fighter less slightly jelly or something, so the players get a brief, OH SNAP HE JUST GOT ROCKED, moment. The floor drops get old real fast. Again, drop the power bar by half, watch the action and you'll see what I mean by better flow. The weaker rocked states need to be less flow interrupting.

You guys really need to play Fight Night & UFC 3 THQ to see how the fight flows & how responsive it can be to the input commands because again, the stun lock states are present. It was the same issue with stun lock parries and it's here again to an extent with the getting stuck in centreline by punches gig.

Edit: Going to have a huge weekend on this game so will feedback some more. Could be wrong about things & quite tired when typing all this so apologies if it's ranty.

Edit 2: Does wireless controller affect this? I'm playing on TV with 21ms response time in game mode.

Edit 3: Been playing exclusively Middleweight! Will try the lower classes tomorrow

Last edited by AydinDubstep; 02-02-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #12
Rookie

And tonight it's so laggy it's impossible to play... how are there 50vs50 games running fine but playing ufc tonight is like watching a flip book...
Old 02-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrawkD2
And tonight it's so laggy it's impossible to play... how are there 50vs50 games running fine but playing ufc tonight is like watching a flip book...
Yes madden, fifa, nhl all these games seem to run smoothly I press a button and it almost feels instantaneous but for some reason with ufc I gotta double and sometimes tripple tap the buttons for the strikes to come off the way that I want!!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #14
Rookie

Input lag was an issue with UFC 2 also. My theory is the framerate. It's the biggest fundamental issue with the game imo. It makes online pretty much unplayable for me, which is why I stick to offline. I've personally not seen the dev's give a response on this topic, but I'm sure they're aware. If you ever play THQ's UFC 3, you'll notice the night and day difference in responsiveness of the controls.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
Rookie

This is how it works from what has been said about UFC 2: the backend runs at 30 Hz and the game is treated as a simultaneous simulation so there is no guesswork and prediction done in the clients. Whatever happens, both clients are synced so they have to talk to each other every time the game updates and wait however long it takes to communicate P2P between them. Say you ping 100 ms between each other, the game is delayed by that much at minimum. This isn't even accounting for lost packets due to poor Wifi which will add on delay for error correction. You can see how it quickly adds up to the game being an unresponsive mess compared to an actual fighting game, which nowadays are not super responsive in the first place even at 60 fps and with more sophisticated netcode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #16
Rookie

It's on and off for me. Sometimes it's laggy and sometimes smooth. But UFC 1 and ESPECIALLY 2 were just as bad for me in input lag.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »