Home

The problem with body punches

This is a discussion on The problem with body punches within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2018, 04:26 PM   #49
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: The problem with body punches

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmdeekay
Not to sound a dick but that part sounds to me like the Cormier's just outplayed you? It's not like he was just throwing the same punch over and over, he recognised you were onto him and then switched it up on you.

There's definitely ways to answer body shots that can outright win you the game. But like most all techniques in this game they take practice and timing and distance management to execute.

The reason people are "spamming" it is because it's an easy way to punish people who have major flaws in their striking games. The fact 80% of people I play online still can't break peoples guard when they have them rocked makes repeatedly going to the body and building a massive stamina advantage one of the easiest, safest ways to win.

Catch them on the way in then break their block for the finish. If you can't consistently do both of those things on the practice dummy then you're begging to be victimised by this tactic forever.
I have no problem taking an L - I'm just saying that the guy was absuing the mechanic of I'm throwing uppercuts and so these punches will miss. I'm throwing hooks now because you adjusted now these punches will miss.

The problem with this is that it really doesn't take much to beat down the long term stamina of an opponent, and it takes too much to crack a guy that's doing this.

Currently it's overly effective imo.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:57 AM   #50
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0

What if a guy who pressure you have like 30% less block bar.

Only fighter who is really good at holding block like this in real life is justin gaethje from what i recall.

In real life people dont hold block and pressure you with body punches they use head movement to go close and grab that clinch or get some shots and then they reset.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #51
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
I wish i can shoot for a takedown when ppl spam body punches like UFC 2.

I wouldn’t care if body spam was an issue if takedowns worked when timed perfectly. UFC 2 was great because ppl doing the 1-2 body spam were punshied when you tried a takedown because the punches wouldn’t stop the TD and i would be able to shoot right through the spam.

I can’t do this in UFC 3.
This could be one of the best solutions out there. Takedowns need some tweaking/improving; they could be some of the best counters to pressure fighters, especially 'body spammers'

Quick story --- last night I was Rumble vs. Gus. I'm learning to hate Gus because he's damn good lol and a tough style for me. Anyway, I was reaching in a bit too often for body punches and kept getting LIT UP by counter uppercuts and hooks. I quickly adjusted.

Now I'll admit the guy I was fighting was a top 100 guy ---- if you're not top 100 in terms of skill, it can definitely be difficult to counter body pressure.

But it's definitely possible and he definitely knocked me on my *** twice in the first round til I learned my lesson lol
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 02-06-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM   #52
Rookie

Landed strikes and blocked strikes need to be taxed more and I think it solves the issue.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #53
MVP

Isn't leaning in or ducking supposed to mitigate some of the damage of body shots?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:52 PM   #54
MVP

The problem with body punches

Body punches aren’t so much the problem (although the effect on stamina needs to be nerfed BAD), the uppercut invincibility frame on stationary body hooks/uppers (its the same animation) is a nightmare to counter. People can walk forward and hold high block since breaking it is a chore if they aren’t rocked and hit that strike over and over. Of course they mix in head strikes when you start to counter that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #55
MVP

GPD says the back lunge is the answer but it just isn’t the case. This is another one of those things where the players know more than the devs. First off, it’s super unresponsive. It doesn’t work well against singular strikes and you will almost always trade 3 body shots for one punch if it even comes out. The stamina drain on these body shots is enormous. You will be gassed far before knocking them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #56
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Isn't leaning in or ducking supposed to mitigate some of the damage of body shots?
It does, but it only works well if you do it against the first one. If you get hit by a body punch, its hitsun prevents you from leaning for quite a few frames, which gives them time to throw another punch before you can lean to armor a body punch or even dodge a head punch.

I used to think we could take a body punch and lean to miitigate the next while also protecting the head from some attacks, but that simply doesn't work now. If you take a body punch, you have to block the next strike. It's a hi lo mix up that's too easy to enforce.

And to make matters worse, even after blocking a body punch, and countring with a hook or upper, your counter may be evaded by the follow up body punch. Then you lose a ton of stamina from having been evaded, in between the stamina losses for taing two body shots.

This is why it's a pandemic, right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »