Home

stamina regeneration between rounds

This is a discussion on stamina regeneration between rounds within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: stamina regeneration between rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Why do you think the amount of stamina you get back should be a function of the number of strikes thrown?

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me personally.

The number of strikes thrown should determine how much you lose.

How much you get back should depend on how long the rest is (which is constant in MMA) and your conditioning.
There should be a recovery stat for each fighter because irl some fighters recover stamina better than others.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia
I believe he is referring to how much you start the next round with as in regain between rounds. More strikes (blocked or not) less stamina back.

It was worded strangely I had to re-read it a few times
Even that from a realism standpoint doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The more output you have, the more you lose.

How much of that you get back between rounds depends on your conditioning no? I mean, if you threw high volume, you'll have lost more so you'll start the next round with less.

But how much you get back shouldn't be a function of output at all I would think.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:

How much of that you get back between rounds depends on your conditioning no? I mean, if you threw high volume, you'll have lost more so you'll start the next round with less.

But how much you get back shouldn't be a function of output at all I would think.
I personally think he was saying you should loose more stamina for cleanly landed or blocked strikes. I don't think he was saying that should be a direct factor or ratio in how much stamina you get in the next round, just that you should loose more stamina for landed/blocked strikes than you do now.

Which I agree with personally. Idk if its possible, but perhaps keep short-term stamina from landed/blocked strikes the same, but have them tax the long term stamina more.

Last edited by Reinfarcements; 02-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
MVP

chia's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I think all three of us are saying the same thing lol. The exception would be Yaari mentioning that throwing strikes that are blocked should still be draining more stamina.

I've started MANY MANY round 2s with a sliver away from full stamina with my HW after just going all out in round 1 and that's pretty wild. Shouldn't be happening for sure.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #13
Rookie

I guess in my minds eye I was thinking it was more a matter of my arms are a bit sore from throwing 200 blocked punches in the last round which may affect my recovery in some way. Though that might be psychoanalyzing things a bit too much.

I do like the recovery system. Maybe it can use tweaks, but overall feel it's a good idea/mechanic.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:

Your recovery is definitely dependant on output as well.

Muscle fatigue and cardio vascular endurance arent exactly the same thing but can have a similar impact on your body. It’s why overtraining is a thing and how some fighters can look lethargic in a fight/ gas despite being in great shape.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #15
MVP

Yaari's Arena

Sorry for the confusing post earlier on.

I agree in that conditioning plays a big part of it. I was mainly wondering if strike output was taken into consideration or if the recovery is based entirely on a recovery stat.

Or if the number of recovered stamina is fixed based upon the stamina (I assume this is linked to in-between-round recovery), and that you would get the same amount back every time, with the exact same fighter (if the stamina bar would permit).

That said though, I think selective striking in this game works well enough for that there should just be more stamina tax on blocked strikes, and actually any strike thrown by anyone. Regardless of if they land or not.

I think that is the main difference between how Fight Night worked, and how this game goes around it.

I feel that big surges of stamina regen between rounds, and no tax (as small as it may be) on any strike thrown, puts fighters at too similar of a condition/stamina capacity, outside of the scenarios where I rocked someone, and went all-in on his body during the health event.

In summary; my favorite part of Fight Night was when I survived an agressive opponent, and I had the benefit of higher stamina capacity in later rounds. This felt great, and was such a interesting aspect to the fight.

But I just don't see that happen in EA UFC 3 unfortunately. Correct me if I am wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #16
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaari
Sorry for the confusing post earlier on.

I agree in that conditioning plays a big part of it. I was mainly wondering if strike output was taken into consideration or if the recovery is based entirely on a recovery stat.

Or if the number of recovered stamina is fixed based upon the stamina (I assume this is linked to in-between-round recovery), and that you would get the same amount back every time, with the exact same fighter (if the stamina bar would permit).

That said though, I think selective striking in this game works well enough for that there should just be more stamina tax on blocked strikes, and actually any strike thrown by anyone. Regardless of if they land or not.

I think that is the main difference between how Fight Night worked, and how this game goes around it.

I feel that big surges of stamina regen between rounds, and no tax (as small as it may be) on any strike thrown, puts fighters at too similar of a condition/stamina capacity, outside of the scenarios where I rocked someone, and went all-in on his body during the health event.

In summary; my favorite part of Fight Night was when I survived an agressive opponent, and I had the benefit of higher stamina capacity in later rounds. This felt great, and was such a interesting aspect to the fight.

But I just don't see that happen in EA UFC 3 unfortunately. Correct me if I am wrong.
1. Stamina drain on landed and blocked strikes in UFC 3 is higher than it was on UFC 2. It just feels less because the wiff and evade penalties are considerably higher than that.

2. Endurance determines both how much stamina you can regen in between rounds max, and how much is available to draw from in total for the fight.

3. Once you run out of stamina reserves, it's gone for good. You absolutely can realize a huge stamina advantage at the end of the fight if you are better at conserving stamina. But simply hugging block and waiting for your opponent to gas out probably isn't enough to achieve this. You'd have to make him wiff or evade some of his strikes to cause him to drain enough stamina for it to deplete enough of his reserves. This is obviously tuned intentionally because we need to find a balance between all the stamina drain sources without making people gas way too fast. And from a merit perspective, wiffs, evades and body strikes should count more.

4. All of this will be more pronounced in 5 round fights because your reserves are the same for a 3 and 5 round fight. I'm starting to wonder if we should have different tuning for the different fight types. Do fighters train their conditioning considerably differently in real life for 5 or 3 round fights?

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »