Home

Ground game not as bad as I originally thought

This is a discussion on Ground game not as bad as I originally thought within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Ground game not as bad as I originally thought

After playing since release, I’ve come to appreciate the depth of the ground game. Love the different positions, transitions, reversals, sweeps, etc. I think the postured striking is fair and allows players to hold their own when their opponent postures up. It’s realistic enough, but also allows for balanced gameplay (I.e. you won’t get stuck in back sitting like fighters do in real life, but the position is still dangerous).

That said, I think shots from unpostured positions should have increased variability - I.e. players should be able to throw hooks, hammer fists, elbows, power shots, etc without posturing, for increased/varying damage. I also think elbows/strikes from side control can be thrown too quickly in succession (rapid fire elbows) - this is especially cheap when playing AI because they don’t immediately transition out. Mobility on the ground would be a nice touch as well.

My primary gripe with this game is the grappling on the feet. The clinch is incredibly nerfed - especially shots from single collar - and the clinch engagement animation doesn’t transfer well to the dangerous new striking mechanics. Takedowns need to result more often in the clinch, and players should be able to chain transitions together following partially defended takedowns. Currently, there is 0 struggle to get the fight to the ground; you either defend, or get taken down - unless you get taken down against the cage; a small new animation that adds a lot to the game).

All that said, I hope they keep building on the ground mechanics for the next iteration of the game, and add a few improvements to unpostured striking (and maybe mobility on the ground).

It’s the area between striking and the ground game that needs work, and I hope Gamedevs focus on better intertwining striking with grappling on the feet to instill a sense of struggle when trying to get the fight to the ground. Currently, there is a gameplay “no-man’s-land” between the stand up and ground games, which needs to be filled by chain wrestling and improved clinch/tie up mechanics.

Edit: I know the ground game is basically the same as EA UFC 2, but I think they are on the right track with the fundamental ground game mechanics.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by iceberg3445; 02-19-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #2
MVP

Trillz's Arena

Re: Ground game not as bad as I originally thought

the ground game actually isnt that bad but the stalling mechanics in half guard and full guard is bad.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:51 PM   #3
MVP

Single legs need a buff and double legs need a bit of a nerf.

We should be able to strike out of the clinch- clinch breaks for both sub and dominant in MT. Single collar is already neutral, so clinch breaks would be fair for both when landing enough uppercuts, hooks, or elbows.

Like how Cerrone finished Medeiros.

Last edited by johnmangala; 02-19-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillz
the ground game actually isnt that bad but the stalling mechanics in half guard and full guard is bad.

Hopefully small issues like this can be tweaked via tuner updates/patches. Or incorporating stand ups if players don’t advance position or land any significant damage on the ground

Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #5
Rookie

Also think they did a good job of incorporating the cage into the ground game.

However, ground animations against the cage get pretty glitchy sometimes. I don’t like when changing positions against the cage pushes both players toward the center of the octagon to prevent clipping. Certain positions shouldn’t be allowed when in the ground against the cage.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
MVP

chia's Arena

OVR: 5

The ground game isn't terrible but the complete lack of balance and understanding by the developers regarding Stamina usage and recovery IS terrible.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
Banned

My issues with it are more aesthetic than anything. Everything you do on the ground seems like it's too effortless and weightless. There aren't enough penalties for stamina. There aren't "tired" animations on the ground like there is in the stand up.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
MVP

Trillz's Arena

yh the core mechanics of the ground game is great but wish it was more advanced and developed. For instance sways on the ground, more positions, different transitions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »