Home

The strongest punishment to side sway spam

This is a discussion on The strongest punishment to side sway spam within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: The strongest punishment to side sway spam

Imo the meta is timing. Time the counter time the take down time the sway it seems to be about timing and finding that sweet spot

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #42
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab14
Imo the meta is timing. Time the counter time the take down time the sway it seems to be about timing and finding that sweet spot

I do think many are underestimating this factor. Now that the excessive speed of the leaned punches were adressed (along with other issues they had), the timing is remarkably fair and can be used to avoid 50/50s more than ever.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #43
MVP

Serengeti1's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
The thing with vuln is that it's very organic. It depends on where you hit him and where, besides what he was doing, of course. In that case you didn't catch him at the peak of a duck. You caught him probably after the peak of an upper, with an upper. The upper doesn't concede high vuln to uppers, it concedes high vuln to the opposite side of the punch (during execution). So, he ate some vuln, not much. He took some extra damage. It just wasn't enough to rock him.

I won't check all the examples if the first ones I check are always false positives.

WHERE'S THE PEAK FAM? WHERE?????

Did you even watch the whole duck/upper video btw? C'mon bro. This ain't right. lol. I don't want to have to time something completely perfectly to get results when all he needs to do is hit a sway counter to get way better results. The upper I hit on the duck in this video does roughly the same amount of damage as the one that hits when he doesn't duck.

Upping vulnerability on sways would just make people more reluctant to spam them. I just want to be rewarded if I'm making reads and being the more intelligent player. This game does not work like that though. Too much luck involved.

Last edited by Serengeti1; 03-06-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab14

So wrong. The meta is sway spam like a mad man because its safer to sway spam and strike than pick single shot counters. Timing is more guessing since you have your mythical input delay on the controls.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Damage
So wrong. The meta is sway spam like a mad man because its safer to sway spam and strike than pick single shot counters. Timing is more guessing since you have your mythical input delay on the controls.
Then throw off the timing by faking strikes

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #46
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95

Did you even watch the whole duck/upper video btw? C'mon bro. This ain't right. lol. I don't want to have to time something completely perfectly to get results when all he needs to do is hit a sway counter to get way better results.
I think it's a combination of not hitting the peak, not being at ideal range for the uppercut, GSP being at full stamina and Diaz being at a little less than full stamina.

All those factors combined made the damage less than you'd otherwise expect.

Are some of those things tuned poorly? Maybe.

But it's not glaringly obvious in what way.

I agree on the face of it it looks like it probably should do more damage.

But if you look at the reasons why the damage isn't high, everything in isolation looks reasonable.

There's one change I can see here maybe being worth making though, so thanks for posting it.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #47
Rookie

I thought I read that they added strike cancellation because the community wanted yet I rarely see it used i love it personally could use some tweaking but all in all it has served me well

Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #48
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serengeti95

Did you even watch the whole duck/upper video btw? C'mon bro. This ain't right. lol. I don't want to have to time something completely perfectly to get results when all he needs to do is hit a sway counter to get way better results.
The peak is in the middle of the execution timingwise (which doesn't look like the middle of the strike... looks like it's earlier). And not all locations have the actually high vulnerability.

He needs some specificity on his sway counters and the damage you take depends on what you do. If you whiff a jab as a single strike, you'll take less damage than if you buffer a combo with an overhand or a kick, after your first punch misses.

The requirements of vulnerability are a good thing. They make the system organic.

I do agree that the sway counter bonus buff is a bit too much and wasn't needed. However, there was a good mathematical change with it, that should stay. But the general bonus should be flatly reduced, imo.

Our views aren't so different. It just seems like you want more risk for slip counters, whereas I want less reward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »