Home

Blocking Strikes in MMA

This is a discussion on Blocking Strikes in MMA within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Blocking Strikes in MMA

I watch alot of mma i haven't missed a event in years.Lately I've been comparing real mma events vs this game.

The biggest difference in striking is blocking and distance control i rarely see fighters actually cover there head to block.

Most of the time they just deflect/parry the punch this does not grant them a magical free hit.It gives them a very very small window to counter but most of the time nothing happens.

For some reason i can't picture any fighters parrying a hook.But jabs and straights are deflected alot in mma next to movement there probably the primary defense for straight punches not DUCKING.

Kicks are also deflected/parryed alot just blocking a kick should do bleed through damade and stop u from moving forward.

Thats just half the problem the movement in real MMA is so crazy.Most of the time there standing just out of range of stationary strikes feinting trying to make reads.So there both standing out of range of stationary strikes so fighter B attacks fighter A with steppin straight but he DIDN'T SET IT UP he just threw a naked steppin straight.So fighter A easily sees it comin and just steps back out of range.Id say this step back fighter A used is closer to the regular lunge u do in game.The lunge fighter A did looked like it required very little stamina and the effectiveness was very high sadly this is not the case in the game.

If you play the computer you see what i mean about staying just out of range they do it really well.People online literally just have no fear closing the distance plus its just so dam easy.Closing the gap needs to be harder and more dangerous.

But does anybody really want a strategic striking game where theres way less action.Instead of action id like to try and get that feeling i get during a ufc and my favorite fighter is about to fight Francis.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Sassy

MacGowan's Arena

Re: Blocking Strikes in MMA

Upping damage and Stamina makes the game more realistic. I've played a few fights like that and it's great when you and the other player are worried about every single engagement. and just one leg kick reeeally stings.

But most people playing that game would get KO'd within seconds.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan
Upping damage and Stamina makes the game more realistic. I've played a few fights like that and it's great when you and the other player are worried about every single engagement. and just one leg kick reeeally stings.

Upping the power with how the game plays right now would just give aggressive players more reason to swing.

Its the movement thats really killing me in real mma they step away from strikes all the time. Its just not happening in this game even if i use advanced lunge there still all over me.The amount of skill/timing required to use the lunge is ridiculous compared to holding forward and smashing X and Y.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:36 AM   #4
Pro

The biggest issue is blocking moving forward. It's barely feasible with 16oz gloves in Muay Thai sparring, let alone MMA in 4oz at 100%.

Edit: Blocking is pretty effective moving backwards, and I like where it currently stands.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
MVP

I think it might be wrong to say that fighters rarely cover their head to block. It happens less in real life than in EA UFC because even the highest-volume strikers don't match the pace of ranked, but if a fighter is rocked, you'll often see him cover his head against an aggressive opponent. They also do it in situations where they want to stay close to their opponent-- not everyone IRL does this, but 99% of online players do.

I think the biggest problem is that the block button is the same as the grapple defense button, which allows everyone to defend strikes and grappling simultaneously with ease. That's incredibly difficult IRL from what I understand. If you're hugging block, you're clearly focused on defending strikes, and most fighters doing that IRL would get taken down easily by the majority of decent grapplers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kush land
Upping the power with how the game plays right now would just give aggressive players more reason to swing
IMO, there shouldn't be as big a difference between the power of blocked strikes and non-blocked strikes (the most damaging strikes should be when you catch someone during a vulnerability frame), and stamina loss for throwing strikes (especially heavy strikes and/or combos) should be increased by a lot. Vulnerability should also be higher while throwing and/or moving forward, making people more susceptible to being countered. If you're constantly walking forward, one good shot should turn your lights out, as opposed to if you're planted, or simply not walking right into your opponent's strikes.

That's essentially why the volume IRL doesn't match the volume in this game, as far as I can tell. IRL, if you throw at a 500-strikes-per-25-minutes pace, you'll either gas out or get rocked/knocked out/taken down. Volkan Oezdemir tried that against Cormier for the first half of Round 1 and you could tell he screwed himself over by doing so and not knocking Cormier out, and even then, he still didn't match the pace you often see online.

Here's a great example of what happens when you just think you can walk forward into someone's range:

Machida is an amazing counter striker, but it's still incredibly dangerous against most fighters to just try to bulldog inside. Bader got knocked out cold even though Machida was actually throwing that punch while moving backwards. Moving forward into any strike is dangerous as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGowan

I say let em. They'll learn eventually.

Last edited by RyanFitzmagic; 04-14-2018 at 05:17 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #6
Banned

Thank you u just kinda proved my point fighters only really cover there head when there rocked.They dont just hold block and do moving sways and ducks that cost absolutely no stamina.

Moving sways and ducks should cost same stamina as advanced lunge

Im gonna watch real ufc and count on 1 hand how times fighters cover there head like they do in game.The amount of step backs and parrys will be in the hundreds.

Might as well change the cage to a phone both
Old 04-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

This fight on right now is showing good realistic blocking.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #8
Banned

Brad did it 1 time maybe 3 if u count the real quick ones he did

jotko didn't do it once untill the end and look how many step backs and parrys

Accuracy needs to be lowered all around jotko straight up just kicked over brads head.That never happens in the game

Lunging punches need to be slowed and have less range

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »