Home

Give us the ability to block while lunging...

This is a discussion on Give us the ability to block while lunging... within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #9
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Give us the ability to block while lunging...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
This was in the game as a bug. It was fixed. Blocking while lunging would be OP.
I’m advocating for it to be done differently though.

It would have been interesting to hear your thoughts on my actual post, instead of only responding to the thread title.

It would be super fun for striking to be more about creating and defending angles.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counter Punch
It would be super fun for striking to be more about creating and defending angles.

It sure would! Though they'd have to do something about the fighters always auto-centering on eachother too, as that basically eliminates cutting angles and whatnot.

It probably just needs to slow down, it should be action>reaction, not fighter A always centering to where fighter B is moving automatically.

FNC did this, you could use footwork and lunges to cut your opponents footwork off and b-b-BLAST them with a Loma style shot they just don't see coming.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #11
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroZeppelin27
It sure would! Though they'd have to do something about the fighters always auto-centering on eachother too, as that basically eliminates cutting angles and whatnot.

It probably just needs to slow down, it should be action>reaction, not fighter A always centering to where fighter B is moving automatically.

FNC did this, you could use footwork and lunges to cut your opponents footwork off and b-b-BLAST them with a Loma style shot they just don't see coming.

Geez i miss angles. Everything feels like a fencing game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #12
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
This game allows players to rely too much on blocking, which is more like boxing than MMA.
And you want to let people block while lunging.

So, the OP seems to be about being able to block while lunging and about being able to go around the block, by using side lunges. I disagree with the first point. And I have suggested something similar to the second: that side moving strikes have a block breakdown bonus. I don't think the side lunges as they exist now would look good for this purpose.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
And you want to let people block while lunging.

So, the OP seems to be about being able to block while lunging and about being able to go around the block, by using side lunges. I disagree with the first point. And I have suggested something similar to the second: that side moving strikes have a block breakdown bonus. I don't think the side lunges as they exist now would look good for this purpose.
I want to let people block while lunging because it is inarguably ridiculuous that you can’t.

I understand that it was done to balance out the fact that footwork is pretty ineffective, which requires block being unrealistically strong.

Allowing us to effectively punch around block isn’t a buff to block.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #14
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Quote:
I want to let people block while lunging because it is inarguably ridiculuous that you can’t.

I understand that it was done to balance out the fact that footwork is pretty ineffective, which requires block being unrealistically strong.

Allowing us to effectively punch around block isn’t a buff to block.
Yes. You want a buff and a nerf. I get that.

And I would say it is aguable that you shouldn't be able to block while lunging. You can retreat while lunging and you have the back sprint. The lunge for when you want to commit entirely to a retreat. That animations states it clearly and owuldn't match well with a block.

And who said footwork is ineffective? That doesn't seem to be the case among the high level guys.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:

And I would say it is aguable that you shouldn't be able to block while lunging. You can retreat while lunging and you have the back sprint. The lunge for when you want to commit entirely to a retreat. That animations states it clearly and owuldn't match well with a block.

And who said footwork is ineffective? That doesn't seem to be the case among the high level guys.
We’ve already had a thread about that

Even a high level fight between Jigsaw and that t4h guy proved it. Outside fighting is impossible if one guy wants to close distance. There hasnt been anything shown that disproves that. It’s impossible to fight like Stephen Thompson

You should be able to cancel lunges into anything and you should be able to block while lunges. It makes no sense not to. It wasnt that in UFC 2 and y’all didnt even have magnetic striking to hold the aggressors hand when it comes fo distance management.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #16
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:

Lift your arms up into a blocking motion and lunge to the left or right. See? It’s possible.

The high level guys dont lunge or use head movement at all really because they’ve mastered the magnetic striking so it is basically a death sentence.

Calling it a “back sprint” when you lift up one arm and step backwards (while your stamina drains inexplicably) is a bit disingenious.

I think not being able to circle out or maintain distance are well-known issues that many people have brought up, and you know that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »