Home

#1 Needed Improvement For Standup = Dynamic Blocking

This is a discussion on #1 Needed Improvement For Standup = Dynamic Blocking within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #1
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

OVR: 0
#1 Needed Improvement For Standup = Dynamic Blocking

Ahhhh --- it's so nice to not be fighting head movement spamming cheezeballs all day everyday!!!!

You all remember how horrible that was? It wasn't that long ago. lol

With that debacle out of the way, I want to focus on what I think is the #1 most important standup improvement that could be made via patch:

Dynamic Block Breaking!

First off, I could go into a whole essay about how to revamp the block system from scratch, but I want to focus on some tweaks in the current setup that are much more realistic via patch.

The key: Different types of strikes & scenarios lead to different levels of block-breaking.

Currently....the straight-straight-straight-round combo is 'The Best' block-breaking combo. There are a few different permutations, but the basics are the same....throw three quick straight strikes (usually 2 of which are jabs) followed by a round strike, and opponent's block is totally broken.

I don't HATE this concept in of itself. But, it should only be the foundation.

I have an example that illustrates this perfectly:

Fighter A throws a Roundhouse Kick to the head; Fighter B has good distance, so Fighter A misses and spins around.

Fighter B throws a haymaker at Fighter A while Fighter A is spinning. Fighter A, knowing a counter is coming, immediately brings up his high guard. The haymaker comes crashing in before Fighter A can even see where the strike is coming from (since he's just now completing his rotation).

If this happened currently --- Fighter A, blind to where the strike was coming from in all regards, would be able to perfectly block this Haymaker with almost no loss of block power/block healthbar.

I would like to see --- Fighter A, blind to where the strike was coming from but turtling up as best as possible, deflects part of the haymaker, but absorbs a lot of the damage. Let's say 50% of the damage bleeds thru (since it's really him just covering up blind). Also, the block meter takes a heavy hit. Fighter A loses a large chunk of his block meter in this scenario, leaving him open for follow-up combos.

A couple more quick concepts:

* Would like to see the 'formula' for breaking block tweaked/added on to. For example, I would like to see Uppercuts count as their own type of strike, not simply as a 'straight' strike. Perhaps same for flying knee as an example. High Risk High Reward strikes that can cut through an opponent's block if setup correctly.

* I would like to see Block Regeneration vary based on different factors. Currently, everyone's block regenerates ASAP. I think that, at times, it should regenerate more slowly.

* I like how Long Term Block Strength is damaged when you take Ground n Pound. But it seems unaffected standing, even if you've blocked 60 strikes/round for 5 rounds, you'll have nearly full block power at end of fight. I'd like to see some long term drain of block power (not a lot though)

P.S. I only endorse the above if blocked strikes cost the striker an additional 25%+ stamina tax ----- I think block is overpowered/not dynamic, but if you change the blocking mechanics without adjusting stamina to punish the 120-150 strike per round spam (yes, unless you're a tiny person like DJ, 120, 130, 140+ strikes in a round is spam!!! lol) ---- will only help the pressure fighters even more.
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

Last edited by Boiler569; 06-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Re: #1 Needed Improvement For Standup = Dynamic Blocking

Good post.

I disagree with blocked strikes costing more stamina.

Your first idea, weakening the block when recovering from a (spinning) strike, is very sophisticated, but if devs like it I suspect they could implement it quite viably. I think there is already a path in the frames variables that would facilitate it. It's a really cool concept.

I disagree with uppers being treated as something different from frontal attacks, for the purpose of block breaking.I think their current role is already spot on.

I think long term block is already affected by stand up strikes, too. That just seems to happen less than for grapple striking, for some reason.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
Banned

no more buffs on the feet for anything but outside fighting. with each supposed buff pressure fightings gotten a buff. stop catering to aggressive newbs
Old 06-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
MVP

Boiler569's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Altair
Good post.

I disagree with blocked strikes costing more stamina.

Your first idea, weakening the block when recovering from a (spinning) strike, is very sophisticated, but if devs like it I suspect they could implement it quite viably. I think there is already a path in the frames variables that would facilitate it. It's a really cool concept.

I disagree with uppers being treated as something different from frontal attacks, for the purpose of block breaking.I think their current role is already spot on.

I think long term block is already affected by stand up strikes, too. That just seems to happen less than for grapple striking, for some reason.
Thanks man

Definitely hope they look into different strikes, during different scenarios, causing varying amounts of damage to block power (and/or reducing the regeneration of block power). Could really help make for a more dynamic striking contest on the feet.

In terms of stamina loss of blocked shots --- I get what you mean. I guess my point is that I feel that block power is Too Strong right now.

But, I also think folks who throw 130+ strikes per round also don't get penalized enough right now (especially if their strike accuracy % is low).

So ideally, block power would be reduced a bit, but if that were to happen I'd really like to see Stamina tweaked a bit to compensate.

I felt that the LEC this past weekend had a great balance of block power vs. stamina. So, the balance isn't too far off.
FNR4 Gamestop Vegas Tournament Qualifier
Ranked #1 (EA MMA)

UFC 3 LEC: 2x Diamond; 6x Plat.
@Boiler569 on Twitter & Twitch

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »