Home

What of there was a Bellator/Boxing video game?

This is a discussion on What of there was a Bellator/Boxing video game? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: What of there was a Bellator/Boxing video game?

If Yuke's (the UD3 dev) announced it would make a Bellator game, I would have to change my pants 15 times in a row, as would a few of my friends lol.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:32 AM   #10
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

A couple of notes:

- There is no guarantee that signing a license with Bellator and Rizin will result in most of those fighters appearing in the game. The reasons all UFC fighters appear in UFC games is because they have a very restrictive contract that grants the UFC all likeness rights. I know that Rizin doesnt have that and I'm not sure if Bellator does anymore.

- If you are talking about signing Joshua, GGG, Bellator and Rizin fighters, there are likely only a few companies who are in the sports gaming space who could afford it (Sony, MS, Konami, 2k). I'm not sure any of them would want to compete with a UFC game.

- The Floyd Mayweather game is a VR training game. Its not a new boxing sim.

- I can guarantee that Bellator doesnt have Fedor's video game likeness rights so a company would have to negotiate with him separately.

- I dont think a competitor would change EA's game much at all. EA tends to lose when the competitor is on equal footing (Madden vs. 2k, Live vs. 2k). Thats why they focus on exclusive licenses so much. They win when they are arent on equal footing (FIFA vs. PES).

In this case, EA's game has the UFC license and that tends to trump all in MMA.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
A couple of notes:

- There is no guarantee that signing a license with Bellator and Rizin will result in most of those fighters appearing in the game. The reasons all UFC fighters appear in UFC games is because they have a very restrictive contract that grants the UFC all likeness rights. I know that Rizin doesnt have that and I'm not sure if Bellator does anymore.

- If you are talking about signing Joshua, GGG, Bellator and Rizin fighters, there are likely only a few companies who are in the sports gaming space who could afford it (Sony, MS, Konami, 2k). I'm not sure any of them would want to compete with a UFC game.

- The Floyd Mayweather game is a VR training game. Its not a new boxing sim.

- I can guarantee that Bellator doesnt have Fedor's video game likeness rights so a company would have to negotiate with him separately.

- I dont think a competitor would change EA's game much at all. EA tends to lose when the competitor is on equal footing (Madden vs. 2k, Live vs. 2k). Thats why they focus on exclusive licenses so much. They win when they are arent on equal footing (FIFA vs. PES).

In this case, EA's game has the UFC license and that tends to trump all in MMA.

*Sucks about the Mayweather thing.

*They figured it out in EA MMA and got Fedor, Couture, Diaz ect in the game. A new Bellator game would be a great promotional tool for the company.

* I just want more choice to satisfy my need for fighting games, not so much as competition for EA. Would it be that hard anyway, ranked is a cheesefest, Ultimate Team is poo and Career wasn't great.

*If a new boxing game and Bellator game came out tomorrow, I'm sure people would flock as long as they were half decent anyway. The MMA/Boxing genre isn't exactly saturated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

With the roster Bellator has now I wouldn't mind one. Plus EA could use a little "friendly competition".
Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyth223
*Sucks about the Mayweather thing.

*They figured it out in EA MMA and got Fedor, Couture, Diaz ect in the game. A new Bellator game would be a great promotional tool for the company.

* I just want more choice to satisfy my need for fighting games, not so much as competition for EA. Would it be that hard anyway, ranked is a cheesefest, Ultimate Team is poo and Career wasn't great.

*If a new boxing game and Bellator game came out tomorrow, I'm sure people would flock as long as they were half decent anyway. The MMA/Boxing genre isn't exactly saturated.
- Yeah but thats EA. There are a few companies that could afford to pay for the top non UFC fighters and a few boxers. The question is would any of those companies be willing to? There has been an opening to do boxing for like 6 years and not one of those major companies has even dipped a toe in that pool.

- I'm all for choice too. I own pretty much every combat sports game in the last 7 yrs and have owned all of them for the past 15. I dont give a **** who makes a combat sports game as long as its good.

- I think people underestimate how hard creating a combat sports game is much less a good one. What you are asking for is for a company to make an MMA game and a boxing game at the same time. The licensing part isnt even the hard part for most companies. Thats just money and negotiating a deal. Its time consuming but if a company wants to pay for it, it can.

The tough part is actually developing a game. The mo cap. The animation work. The artwork. The promotion. The modes. Thats the tough part. Thats also a lot of work for a game that isnt guaranteed to sell.

- The facts are EA MMA struggled to sell. Bellator's game sucked and didnt sell. There has never been a succseful non UFC MMA game. There also has never been a financially successful non EA boxing game since Ready to Rumble. So any company who considers getting in this lane is taking a real risk and thats why no one else seems to be willing to do it.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
Rookie

For those martial arts enthusiasts absolver is a free ps plus game in July looks interesting

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #15
Banned

This made me think of an idea. A Bellator game probably wouldn’t sell, a kick boxing game wouldn’t sell, a wrestling or grappling game wouldn’t sell, a boxing game might sell....

What if a game had them all...

2K Fighting Grand Prix

K1 mode
Bellator/Rizin mode
World Championship Freestyle Wrestling
Eddie Bravo Invitational mode
Championship boxing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #16
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPSPunk
This made me think of an idea. A Bellator game probably wouldn’t sell, a kick boxing game wouldn’t sell, a wrestling or grappling game wouldn’t sell, a boxing game might sell....

What if a game had them all...

2K Fighting Grand Prix

K1 mode

Bellator/Rizin mode

World Championship Freestyle Wrestling

Eddie Bravo Invitational mode

Championship boxing

I’ll answer this question with a question: What do you consider “selling”. EA ufc 3 is nearing a million sales and some here consider that a failure (I don’t though). Would 500k be a success for a game like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »