Home

How would the game look without queued up combos??

This is a discussion on How would the game look without queued up combos?? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
MVP

Trillz's Arena

OVR: 0
How would the game look without queued up combos??

I feel these fights will look much more diverse then people fishing for the same combos every fight for the whole match. it will make inside fighting much more fun and allow some more space for outside fighting.

I cant see the tactical logic behind these combos when everyone is throwing the same thing for any fighter. The combos should be just advanced and unique combos for each specific fighter and take away all soft combos and let people throw them with their own speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Just started!

Re: How would the game look without queued up combos??

Im also agree, just like UD3 had but thats ea, maybe they keep it for the next one, or next next one or until 2030 lol
Old 07-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Nogueira connoisseur

Find_the_Door's Arena

OVR: 5

Hate the queued combos easily the worst part of the entire game
Old 07-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
MVP

If the combos & single punches were the same speed, the magnetism didn't exist, the footwork was consistent, the hit stuns were better, the stamina didn't drain so suddenly and we had volleyball head movement as well as fist tracking rather than 1/0:

Look how graceful the fight looks. So damn smooth.

For UFC 4, we have to reopen the discussion on head movement and all these other aspects. UFC 3 is a nearly closed book but UFC 4 we need this stuff changed going forward.

Imagine the video above but with kicks and grappling. It would be perfect.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
If the combos & single punches were the same speed, the magnetism didn't exist, the footwork was consistent, the hit stuns were better, the stamina didn't drain so suddenly and we had volleyball head movement as well as fist tracking rather than 1/0:

Look how graceful the fight looks. So damn smooth.

For UFC 4, we have to reopen the discussion on head movement and all these other aspects. UFC 3 is a nearly closed book but UFC 4 we need this stuff changed going forward.

Imagine the video above but with kicks and grappling. It would be perfect.
Combos and single punches were not the same speed in FNC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

I actually just had a fight with someone (gvillegoon...?) and he played very sim, it was BEAUTIFUL. There wasn't excessive combo spamming or constant pressure or anything, I might even upload the fight. All I could think was, "if this game got rid of the phone booth pressure meta and combo system, this is how good & fun every fight could be!"

But of course most people dont wanna play like that because the reward is still too high to just wing combos in close range.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-04-2018, 06:00 PM   #7
Banned

It would look and feel 1000x better.

The combo que is what makes the strikes come out so fast they can't effectively be countered.

Im willing to bet this system is also the core of why so many people are having issues with dropped inputs/ input lag that the devs absolutely REFUSE to acknowledge.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
Combos and single punches were not the same speed in FNC.
My bad then dude. They were closer to each other than these though? Like a hook off head movement in UFC 3 gets blitzed by a hook combo from the other guy e.g. lean back and hook instead of lean back and cross, or side slip and hook instead of side slip and cross, gets beaten by the other guy's combo it seems.

Compared to the head movement, the combos feel a lot faster, whereas in FNC, it was much easier to make people miss, although the blocking while moving head played a part in this too, as head movement alone would get you in trouble sooner or later. It felt smoother to chain head movement in your combos and come up from different angles.

However, the great thing about combos I love in UFC 3 are the kick chains and kicks at the end of combos. They are beautiful and make a lot of sense. The ones I don't like are the punches. They are fast as heck but carry serious damage. If someone through punches that fast IRL, would they be able to shift that much weight into each strike? I'm not sure.

By consistency in the footwork, what I'm referring to in particular is the jolting in and out. It's hard to predict how much distance your opponent can cover when he's throwing a shot as they can teleport towards you to get the strike to land. Part of this is the magnetism. The other bit about consistency are the small back steps and side steps. I find these to be effective for dodging a single shot but two shots are very difficult to pull off, as sometimes the guy is able to cover a lot of ground easily vs my quick shuffles backwards and the side ones don't move far enough to buy you enough angle, space / time it feels. Edit: plus they feel quite laboured, as if your guy is moving around a sandbag. On FNC you felt more in control of your distance and fighting a tall guy felt very different from fighting a guy your height which was different than a short guy because of this distance control.

The hit stuns were better. By this what I mean is the speed at which you recovered from eating a shot. You could keep flowing with the fight unless you got absolutely smashed. In UFC 3, it halts the action when you eat shots, even a jab up close, causing your guy to hobble around. When I turn the damage down, this doesn't happen as much and it's more back and forth however then the damage system feels wrong when big strikes land. Perhaps the light strike vs heavy strike would remedy this somewhat.

The sudden stamina drain I'm referring to the short term one. It's heavily tied to damage, so a short combo with a few more punches on the end suddenly gets you in a very dangerous position in terms of counters. When that danger should be more based on what the other guy is throwing, rather than how much you've depleted your temporary bar. It should be more focused on trying to catch him coming in, which you already have built in, and maybe less penalty for emptying the temporary bar and greater long term penalty.

That said, I get around this now by turning off stamina recovery and just cranking down the stamina tax lots so it's okay in terms of custom fights.

The fist tracking vs 1/0 discussion we had 100+ pages on. Don't really need to delve into that much as people are still split on it. I can use the head movement here fine tbh, but I still prefer the other way.

All in all though, your system has come together well imo but for the next one, there are some fundamental pillars that you could change around, if it makes sense to you guys as it does to me and a few others here.

Last edited by AydinDubstep; 07-04-2018 at 06:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »