Home

Stephen Thompson Challenge

This is a discussion on Stephen Thompson Challenge within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Stephen Thompson Challenge

So I've heard outside fighting is viable against pressure.

I know this forum is full of high level ranked dudes. I want to see some videos of guys managing to fight on the outside. I don't even care if you win or lose. Just show that it's possible to maintain distance against aggression.

And before this becomes an argument of semantics I want to be clear what I'm referring to.

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/maste...endricks-apart

Here's a nice article detailing Thompson's work against Hendricks. Full of gifs as well.
" Like Lyoto Machida, you will notice that Thompson keeps a gulf of distance between himself and his opponent"

This is what I'm looking for: The ability to consistently maintain distance against an aggressive opponent in ranked.

I tried and failed horribly (Will post my own videos when it uploads to twitch), but I don't think I'm skilled enough to pull it off.

Please only videos where your opponent is doing their best to keep the fight in a phone booth. If they're not possessed by Justin Gaejthe it doesnt count.

If you tried and failed I'd love to see the attempt as well. It'd be nice to know i'm not the only one who can't do it lol.

Last edited by Phillyboi207; 07-11-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Stephen Thompson Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207

I know this forum is full of high level ranked dudes. I want to see some videos of guys managing to fight on the outside. I don't even care if you win or lose. Just show that it's possible to maintain distance against aggression.

And before this becomes an argument of semantics I want to be clear what I'm referring to.

Here's a nice article detailing Thompson's work against Hendricks. Full of gifs as well.
" Like Lyoto Machida, you will notice that Thompson keeps a gulf of distance between himself and his opponent"

This is what I'm looking for: The ability to consistently maintain distance against an aggressive opponent in ranked.

I tried and failed horribly (Will post my own videos when it uploads to twitch), but I don't think I'm skilled enough to pull it off.

Please only videos were your opponent is doing their best to keep the fight in a phone booth. If they're not possessed by Justin Gaejthe it doesnt count.

If you tried and failed I'd love to see the attempt as well. It'd be nice to know i'm not the only one who can't do it lol.
To answer your question straight forward, it is significantly harder to fight as an outside fighter/counter fighter than a pressure fighter in my opinion. I love using movement when I fight. It's very difficult to coast a round, you can be winning and want to coast and if someone is content to stay in your face your only option is to knock them out or be ko'd.

There's a lot of oddities with hit detections and stuff that only AI can have perfect timing to dodge things. You can move back and still get caught with strikes many times.

I have two videos for you.

The first is against Swisslibax who is a pretty well-respected person here and is usually a pressure fighter. He is GSP and I am Thompson. The thing I know about Swiss is that he has really good combinations on the inside and likes to fire the lead high kick sometimes. When he pressures me I have to use aggression to keep him off, only sometimes am I able to use movement, movement is pretty weak compared to UFC 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9s...ature=youtu.be

However, there are levels to this pressure game. Take a guy like Unibot who has a very threatening grappling game+pressure game and it's a real pain or almost impossible to beat him with Stephen, because of his grappling stats. Or Preunited who will bum rush you with Conor. Some guys are easier to deal with once I know what I'm dealing with, sometimes I get caught off guard because a person plays very differently than they normally do or than I expect.

This last one is an example of a high level fight. This is against the current #1 fighter ConorOnCrack. We were 2-2 before this fight, unfortunately ps4 has a limit for recording so I got most of it except the last minute, but if you want to watch it, it is a pretty fun fight to watch, although long. If you are into technical fights that suddenly go violent at the end. Lots of back and forth. This is how a lot of my favorite fights go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Keekm1K6Lw&t=6s
Old 07-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207

Please only videos were your opponent is doing their best to keep the fight in a phone booth. If they're not possessed by Justin Gaejthe it doesnt count.

Possessed by Justin Gaethje made me laugh more than it was supposed to. ������

@UFCBlackbelt ConorOnCrack is Dridzoe.

https://youtu.be/dsQHfsjhlu8 Here is a good fight against SwissLibax in where I tried to use some distance against his pressure.

Last edited by RomeroXVII; 07-10-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeroXVII
Possessed by Justin Gaethje made me laugh more than it was supposed to. ������

@UFCBlackbelt ConorOnCrack is Dridzoe.

ohh i remember playing him
Old 07-11-2018, 01:52 AM   #5
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCBlackbelt
To answer your question straight forward, it is significantly harder to fight as an outside fighter/counter fighter than a pressure fighter in my opinion. I love using movement when I fight. It's very difficult to coast a round, you can be winning and want to coast and if someone is content to stay in your face your only option is to knock them out or be ko'd.

There's a lot of oddities with hit detections and stuff that only AI can have perfect timing to dodge things. You can move back and still get caught with strikes many times.

I have two videos for you.

The first is against Swisslibax who is a pretty well-respected person here and is usually a pressure fighter. He is GSP and I am Thompson. The thing I know about Swiss is that he has really good combinations on the inside and likes to fire the lead high kick sometimes. When he pressures me I have to use aggression to keep him off, only sometimes am I able to use movement, movement is pretty weak compared to UFC 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u9s...ature=youtu.be

However, there are levels to this pressure game. Take a guy like Unibot who has a very threatening grappling game+pressure game and it's a real pain or almost impossible to beat him with Stephen, because of his grappling stats. Or Preunited who will bum rush you with Conor. Some guys are easier to deal with once I know what I'm dealing with, sometimes I get caught off guard because a person plays very differently than they normally do or than I expect.

This last one is an example of a high level fight. This is against the current #1 fighter ConorOnCrack. We were 2-2 before this fight, unfortunately ps4 has a limit for recording so I got most of it except the last minute, but if you want to watch it, it is a pretty fun fight to watch, although long. If you are into technical fights that suddenly go violent at the end. Lots of back and forth. This is how a lot of my favorite fights go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Keekm1K6Lw&t=6s
Just FYI you can set your PS4 to record in 30 min intervals instead of 15. It somehwere in the system settings.

Also, I don’t think many people knoe if you bring up the quick menu (hold ps4 button til the menu pops up) it will start a new recording.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #6
EA Game Changer

ZombieRommel's Arena

If someone wants to fight in a phone booth -->

- Rear body knee
- Rear elbow
- Shove -> rear body kick

The person has to fear pushing forward. You can't create a magic safety bubble, but you can punish people who come forward and usually quite easily. When people get in my face, I let body knees rip and the occasional slip straight, and within a few minutes they are winded by body shots, their block meter is toasted, and their chin health is way below mine, letting me win trades if they get aggressive again.

This is not unlike real life. Machida (Cerrone too) famously punishes aggressors with body knees. He doesn't JUST RUN. He punishes them for coming forward with strikes (straights, body knees, body kicks, etc) and then he resets. Same with Thompson.

One other side note, 99% of players in this game suck @$$ at coming forward, on top of the mechanics themselves favoring planted strikes. The guys BlackBelt rattled off are some of the better players when it comes to applying pressure (even though they do it in a cheesy way). But aside from 2-3 guys in the top 100, most players are absolutely horrible at coming forward. I've fought many fights where I go forward the whole time and the other player manages to make the fight look competitive. I finally say "F this" and just hold the center of the cage without moving forward at all. And the minute they come forward at me, I blow them up. Coming forward in the game generally takes MORE SKILL than sitting back. And the mechanics themselves back up my claim. The fact that we are even debating this at all makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 AM   #7
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel

- Rear body knee
- Rear elbow

The person has to fear pushing forward. You can't create a magic safety bubble, but you can punish people who come forward and usually quite easily. When people get in my face, I let body knees rip and the occasional slip straight, and within a few minutes they are winded by body shots, their block meter is toasted, and their chin health is way below mine, letting me win trades if they get aggressive again.

This is not unlike real life. Machida (Cerrone too) famously punishes aggressors with body knees. He doesn't JUST RUN. He punishes them for coming forward with strikes (straights, body knees, body kicks, etc) and then he resets. Same with Thompson.

One other side note, 99% of players in this game suck @$$ at coming forward, on top of the mechanics themselves favoring planted strikes. The guys BlackBelt rattled off are some of the better players when it comes to applying pressure (even though they do it in a cheesy way). But aside from 2-3 guys in the top 100, most players are absolutely horrible at coming forward. I've fought many fights where I go forward the whole time and the other player manages to make the fight look competitive. I finally say "F this" and just hold the center of the cage without moving forward at all. And the minute they come forward at me, I blow them up. Coming forward in the game generally takes MORE SKILL than sitting back. And the mechanics themselves back up my claim. The fact that we are even debating this at all makes me feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.
https://youtu.be/n-bU7pYFz0A

Everyone watch that and tell me the post above isn’t delusional.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #8
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel

- Rear body knee
- Rear elbow

I use my best friends: The Front Kick, and Body Hooks to keep them away. You should post a video showing how you do this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »