Home

Is this a better example of pressure fighting?

This is a discussion on Is this a better example of pressure fighting? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:59 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Is this a better example of pressure fighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Holly definitely controlled the pace of the Ronda fight. Silva usually lets his opponents dictate the pace because he likes to counter.

If mindlessly rushing forward was all you needed to pressure most fighters you’d see it more often.

If you rush forward people will simply cut angles and get out of the way. Look at Diego Sanchez against BJ Penn. The reason guys come in smarter are due to gas tanks, risk of getting hit,fear of grappling AND the fact that coming straight forward will get you matadored against fighters with good footwork. Overeem against JDS is another fantastic example. JDS against Rothwell as well.

The best pressure fighters dont just rush forward like Leben or Ronda. They cut the cage while pressing like Cormier and Justin. They use strikes to limit your escape routes. Same way the guys with the great defensive footwork dont just back straight up.
GGG and loma are also pressure fighters of different styles. 1 is a counter pressure fighter with everything thrown with telegraph to confuse and jabs to push you back. The other is all aboit footwork, angles and picking you apart.

I like pressure fighting, i have no bias against it. But i prefer to pick angles etc which does not exist while you are fighting in the outside. Alot of things are stacked against fighting with range and on the outside.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #42
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCB x Finlay
Thanks for the response.

Im not dogareeing with what you are saying but all off this is no use. This is the point i am trying to make. Outside fighting is not viable agaisnt pressure. All of youe tips, which are very good btw actually cater to the pressure. Its all about winning "inside" exchanges.

The only part of your response i disagree with is the panic mode one, that was trying to show that movement alone doesnt allow you to escape pressure due to how it works in game, via lunges etc. Plus the advice about the cage is the opposite of everyones else advice, jigsaw for example disagrees with that.

Btw if your on xbox id love to have a fight with yourself, think its the best way to see what you mean and learn.
I whine about pressure fighting a lot but sometimes y'all sound like you think you should be able to get away by just holding left stick away with no counterplay just because you picked Wonderboy.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:28 AM   #43
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
I whine about pressure fighting a lot but sometimes y'all sound like you think you should be able to get away by just holding left stick away with no counterplay just because you picked Wonderboy.
This is the worry.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:34 AM   #44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
This is the worry.
Only against someone simply holding forward

I think UFC 2 had it right.

This game is close but the sliding strikes close distance too easily/fast
Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
No off course not, thats why we are asking for true cirlcing mechanics. Just like machida did vs anders. Holding forward shouldnt be enough to trap someome. They have to cut the cage which they currently dont need to.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2018, 10:40 AM   #46
Rookie

You have to get respect in order not to be pressured. The problem is when you have a lesser fighter and can't get that respect because they know they can beat you to the punch more easily and have more power in exchanges. This is what the problem is for me.

It's amazing how many of these pressure players who always choose McGregor end up getting destroyed when I play them when they aren't McGregor or some other OP fighter or if it's a mirror match.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:15 AM   #47
Rookie

Trying to use those knees while he was throwing combos at you was a big mistake. jabs and straights will stop your knee. See what happened every time you went for a knee? It got stopped by his strike and he pieced you up with more strikes. The knee is not a way to get distance against a pressure fighter, in fact it's the exact opposite hah, it's a good way to get knocked out.

The knee should be used when you're opponent is rocked to suck away stamina, or well-timed when your opponent is against the fence.

What you should have done when he was pressuring you after you got rocked (because those were the only times he was pressuring you thats what everyone will do) is fire back with planted straights. Straights stop combos in their tracks. Get used to staying planted and throwing fast straight>Hook or uppercut>straight, then circle out (toward the opponent's weak side).

To avoid pressure fighters in general you have to make them pay for getting in so close and attempting to bully you. You do that by using planted strikes which have way more power and come out way faster than moving strikes. Throwing an uppercut>hook or a straight>hook or straight>uppercut>hook but planted, will shut down the guys combos moving forward on you and you'll get a lot of rocks. Body shots are also good in these situations. Mix in some planted hooks to the body and other body shots because their stamina is low when they are pressuring throwing combos. Then if your opponent is smart he wont try to pressure you like that again.

I actually hope they're dumb and keep pressuring because I'll just do the same thing, plant and rip a couple planted shots and get a rock, over and over until you eventually KO them if they don't stop coming in like that. You have to make your opponent respect you so they dont want to come in and pressure.

Last edited by GrindFactor; 07-14-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangil23
You have to get respect in order not to be pressured. The problem is when you have a lesser fighter and can't get that respect because they know they can beat you to the punch more easily and have more power in exchanges. This is what the problem is for me.

It's amazing how many of these pressure players who always choose McGregor end up getting destroyed when I play them when they aren't McGregor or some other OP fighter or if it's a mirror match.
This has already been shown to be false irl. But this is the way it is in game unfortunately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »