Home

The guide to using the new and improved lunging punches.

This is a discussion on The guide to using the new and improved lunging punches. within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
The guide to using the new and improved lunging punches.

Also, the lunging jab is definitely a great set up for the push into leg kick like I assumed.

If you get them used to being stunned after every combo, they will stop trying to counter immediately. You can then hit your combo and use that free time to push instead of lunging jab. The ultimate pressure strategy. Imagine this combined with push kicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #10
MVP

Re: The guide to using the new and improved lunging punches.

Hmmm

Sent from my Infinix X604 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieRommel
A couple notes on the lunging head straight:

- It, along with the lunging jab, have the range of kicks but are actually punches. So it actually outranges both uppercuts and hooks. This means if you run into a flowchart fool throwing the jab-uppercut-hook at every opportunity, you can walk forward to make him think you'll be in range, then abruptly stop and throw this at kicking range, which will blast him.

- It armors through double-jabs. So if you have someone trying hard to block break you, you can throw the lunging straight, you'll absorb the jabs, and you'll put them into heavy hit stun.

Also, I disagree with your assessment of the lunging body jab. It's extremely fast and covers a lot of distance. I haven't started regularly implementing it yet, but I think you're sleeping on it. It strikes me as a nice poke tool to get in and out quickly.

But really nice guide man.

Bonus clip of ZHunter knocking someone silly with the lunging straight:

Pokes are usual plus frames on hit these aren’t they are neutral on hit at best.

Just wondering is this the only fighting game your currently playing?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
Banned

any chance at some videos?
Old 10-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #13
Pro

Counter Punch's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetractedMonkey
The lunging punches before this patch always had potential. They were fast, long, had good super armor, and stopping power. The catch was they were inconsistent in both range and button inputs. After the 9th patch, the use of these punches were made much more lenient. I will be breaking down the best uses for each of the four lunging strikes so you can get the most out of these extremely useful techniques.

Jab: By far the lunging punch with the most utility. The lunging jab can be used both backing up and going forward. In fact, I would argue pressuring with the jab is much more useful than using it defensively.

My number one use for it is to spear players who retreat after a combination. If I plan on using this strategy and the player is a good candidate style-wise, I will throw a quick two punch combo and immediately run their block through with the jab. Not only does it give you another opportunity to catch them clean or break down the block (works well on the long term block because you've already worn it away with the previous two strikes), it will stun them even through the block and allow you to exit safely with the extra range. It works great with two punch combos because the lunging jab does not suffer from the range drop off of a regular third punch in a traditional hard combo.

You do not want to try this on guys who pressure forward or stand still with high block up waiting to counter because you will get stuffed and not have enough room to throw the lunging jab, leaving you open with low stamina throwing the weakest strike when the opponent is at their most dangerous countering moment.

You can also use it to spear fighters coming forward at range. You can catch them with their guard down for damage, but the real utility is the massive block damage it does. You will take a little less than half away from their meter AND stun them through the block, giving you time to reposition. The only caveat is your range and timing needs to be on point. Too far away can leave you exposed and wastes stamina. Too slow can let you eat the opponent's initial strike in his combo, or at worst, a big strike.

Straight: This one is is like the jab in that it can be used offensively and defensively, but I much prefer the jab in terms of range, speed, stamina use, and vulnerability. For me, the straight is pure offense. The straight does about the same amount of block damage as the jab, so you want to use the jab for any block breaking or stunning purposes. The lunging straight needs timing to be used well and even then it can be too slow. Because of this, I rarely use it unless I know it's going to land. The straight is great against a missed kick or when an opponent uses a predictable set of combinations. This allows you to easily sus out the range and timing to land a massive shot. Like the jab, it also has super armor, but unlike the jab, it does much more damage. Mistiming or using with bad range leaves you susceptible to the same counter opportunities as missing a jab would, but slightly increased. So don't miss.

Body Jab: The lunging body jab is my least used lunging strike. It has a minimal range increase of the body straight, with none of the stopping power or damage. Pretty much only to be used if you are a very conservative or sim fighter and if you want to style on someone by poking them in the gut 50 times. It also dodges head punches, but is a little harder to time than a regular body jab. Susceptible to upward arcing strikes, but you are less likely to be hit because of the speed.

Body Straight: The crown jewel of the long term stamina and body damage game. It's so easy to land this strike. Pretty much any time you could land a regular body straight, you can use the lunging body straight. That is unless you are chest-to-chest. The range is really forgiving otherwise. It also stuns a forward moving fighter if they are throwing a strike with little super armor. Like the body jab, it also avoids head strikes, but is harder to time than a regular body straight. This is a good punch to use against an opponent you just hit a combo and is retreating, or if you are close to them and backing them up. You can leave a split second of space and hit the strike immediately with little fear of retaliation. Backing someone against the cage allows you to hit this strike with abandon from range if they don't circle out. You can mix it up between the lunging jab to the head (which, again, stuns through the block) and use their stun state to land another lunging body straight. Same vulnerability to upward strikes as the jab, but less likely to be hit than a regular body straight due to the speed. I wouldn't advise using this strike while backing up unless you are very sure of the range. Whiffing can leave you open to counter and burns up stamina.

Basically, the strategy is to (occasionally mixing body jabs if you're inclined) skewer the opponent with your lunging jab going both backwards and forwards to keep the block low and leave them stunned. This allows you to pressure with strikes and hit even more lunging jabs to let you back out when you're done. In between or after jabbing, you're hitting lunging body straights. Using the pressure of the jabs to let you hit those body straights along the cage or whatever game you want to implement (closer range/higher risk damaging strikes or grappling for example [they are great for setting up cage takedowns]). Then in moments of error on your opponent's part, lancing them with lunging straight punches for great counter damage.

Remember, (this is the most important part) that you can use the lunging strikes after any hard combo. Mixing your lunging jab in particular after a punching combination is the key to consistent landing.

They will be so discombobulated from getting stunned through the guard, you can hit just about anything on them. The lunging straight punches can be slipped, but it would be very hard. Therefore, as long as your timing and range is good, every lunging jab is a free stun. I haven't tried it yet, but I think getting them accustomed to the jab can open them up for the push into leg kick. This strategy gives you a double threat where they don't know if you're going to hit a jab or push them for free leg damage every time. This would work two fold for grappling based gameplans. The leg damage gives you grapple advantage and the push gets them even closer to the cage in tandem with the pressure from the lunging strikes.

Hopefully we will see more people utilizing these strategies for both more effective pressure fighting and counter fighting.

EDIT: Button inputs for each strike are the exact same as the regular strike plus flicking the left stick forward. So a lunging jab in orthodox stance would be: flick left stick - X (Square for PS4). You have to be pretty quick with the button press after flicking. Try practice mode to get it down first.
Thanks for taking the time to post this. I found it extremely informative.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #14
Rookie

Will have to try this out. I love the jab and the body straight but have not used the lunge.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #15
MVP

I've got a video that literally shows every technique (except the body jab) in its perfect form. The guy I fought really allowed me to show the extreme effectiveness of the strategy. It is uploading now and I will put it in the next message.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #16
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46

The traditional fighting game term "armor" made me laugh for some reason, but it's accurate. Regardless, very solid write-up. Good stuff, sir.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »