Home

Old 11-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Stamina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangil23
Nerfing block durability and upping the stamina drain on blocked strikes won't help against pressure fighters if you are relying on your block to gas them now. If anything, I think this would help them.
Nah thats not true at all. My main issue with "pressure fighters" is not them getting through my block or rocking me. That almost never happens, because I can use movement and foot-work to escape before they break through the block.

My main issue is these players' ability to throw an insane amount of strikes from the beginning of round 1 to the end of round 3. They do this because they know they have a good chance of either hitting my block or landing flush at least a few times, lowering the stamina they loose A TON.

This constant and unrealistic barrage of strikes obviously takes over the pace of the entire fight (if they are skilled at playing this way) so I never get to fight at my preferred pace, because their pace never slowed down since they never gassed.

So win or lose, if my opponent is a skilled "pressure fighter" (far too realistic of a term for the play style I'm referring too) then I end up having to fight a very unrealistic looking fight.

With a lowered block strength and increase in stamina drain, it would be more realistic in the sense if you survive and weather the storm the opponent will gas. Then you can impose YOUR will and play the way YOU want, while your opponent must adapt this time.

Plus lowered block strength in general will probably make the game feel more true to MMA anyway. Blocking shouldn't feel as reliable as it does in a Fight Night game.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #34
MVP

RomeroXVII's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AydinDubstep
Would be all for your changes but it's a thing for UFC 4.

Some of the following would need to happen to balance things for online:

1) Improved defensive options
- Blocking with head movement
- Perfect block Gaethje style
- Check hooks off head movement
- Stiff arm pivots and pivots without needing to dodge a punch
- Rolling shots with footwork on exit, rolling off a straight or hook
- Probing hand, stiff arming while static
- Light feints, like feeler shots for example weidman probing with his cross punch

2) Slowed down hard combos which makes 1 easier.

3) Soft and hard shot distinction.

4) Reworked stamina system overall. Anaerobic vs aerobic expenditures. Passive defense is aerobic whereas active is anaerobic.

Passive defense examples:
Slight bobbing and weaving, changing head slots
Hand parries and deflecting
Probes

Active defense examples:
Quick slips and jerk head movements
Hard blocks e.g. against a body shot
Running away style footwork

Then similar for offense with hard shots vs light shots.

Basically you need to up the defense if you're going to buff pressure / volume fighting. Would love for more fights to go to decisions.

Would be interesting to see how it could all come together but deeper incorporation of real life stuff will bring the next UFC to a whole new level. I really hope they give us unique animations too. Tyron Woodleys punches should burst through like a sprinter on the 100m line whereas Diaz's should be ugly yet efficient and precise, just non-stop mix ups like someone who talks too much.

Just gotta throw in that Gaethje's signature block is weak to straight strikes.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangil23
Nerfing block durability and upping the stamina drain on blocked strikes won't help against pressure fighters if you are relying on your block to gas them now. If anything, I think this would help them.
Tbh I think it should

Blocking isnt a primary defensive tool for the vast majority in MMA.

Footwork, head movement, parries are what you normally see.

I wouldnt mind parries for straight punches being brought back.

Have the counter window work just like minor slips and have parries be round vs straight strikes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Tbh I think it should

Blocking isnt a primary defensive tool for the vast majority in MMA.

Footwork, head movement, parries are what you normally see.

I wouldnt mind parries for straight punches being brought back.

Have the counter window work just like minor slips and have parries be round vs straight strikes
It would be cool if for some fighters the game had a parry animation when you time a minor slip of a straight
Old 11-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinfarcements
Nah thats not true at all. My main issue with "pressure fighters" is not them getting through my block or rocking me. That almost never happens, because I can use movement and foot-work to escape before they break through the block.

My main issue is these players' ability to throw an insane amount of strikes from the beginning of round 1 to the end of round 3. They do this because they know they have a good chance of either hitting my block or landing flush at least a few times, lowering the stamina they loose A TON.

This constant and unrealistic barrage of strikes obviously takes over the pace of the entire fight (if they are skilled at playing this way) so I never get to fight at my preferred pace, because their pace never slowed down since they never gassed.

So win or lose, if my opponent is a skilled "pressure fighter" (far too realistic of a term for the play style I'm referring too) then I end up having to fight a very unrealistic looking fight.

With a lowered block strength and increase in stamina drain, it would be more realistic in the sense if you survive and weather the storm the opponent will gas. Then you can impose YOUR will and play the way YOU want, while your opponent must adapt this time.

Plus lowered block strength in general will probably make the game feel more true to MMA anyway. Blocking shouldn't feel as reliable as it does in a Fight Night game.
I dread going against a good Nate diaz player because of how bad it is. Go into practice with nate and TRY to gas him without the clock and just throwing jabs and hooks and uppers from boxing range. Its INSANE. You can get to 300 strikes and have about 75% left... meanwhile you will have completely drained the opponent in every way. Bottom line, if you can't make them hit air a lot, you are ****ed.

If they are insistent on keeping the ridiculous output, then these guys really need a severe power nerf.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingslayer04
Yeah, I did have a few posts regarding this. I believe some fighters should be heavy hitters, others should be volume strikers. And I think flash knockouts should be a real thing and not only when in severe state of vulnerability, with the heavy hitters having a much bigger chance of achieving one. As Mark Hunt I should be giving up height advantage, reach advantage, grappling advantage, combo advantage (if that's a new thing in UFC 4), since Hunt doesn't go for combos... but if I land flush...you get my point. With Ngannou I give up stamina, I give up grappling, but if that bomb connects, lights out, instantly, more often than not. Rumble Johnson is another heavy hitter. With Woodley you won't be giving away as much, maybe just the combo advantage, since he's so well rounded and a great fighter, but that would be realistic. He has dynamite in those hands, and speed, too.

I think the rocked/hurt state should be reconsidered and there should be more variety to that too - tagged, mildly hurt, moderately hurt, severely hurt, etc. But yeah, flash KOs should be a thing, and from anyone, even "volume" punchers or fighters that are not typically known for their knockouts (Edgar vs Mendes), but there would be less probability of that than if you're using a heavy hitter. Also, the number of rocks and drops before you're out should be lowered drastically, especially if those happen in quick succession. Maybe this is where TKOs come in.
And this is what I'm talking about.
#FightNightBeijing
Old 11-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #39
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

It seems like we can deal with block being lowered as long as footwork becomes more evasive. I honestly never understood why people complained so much about the back step in UFC 2, I guess the animation could've looked less like an arcade game back dash, but it's what fighters do all the time. But we'd definitely need more defensive options before lowering block...low risk and non-gimmicky counter-filled defensive options.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 11-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #40
MVP

It would be cool if fighters like Ngannou did have that 1 punch and it's over type power but footwork and defensive control needs improvement if this is going to be the case. Also combos would need reworking too.

Watch the Fury vs Wilder fight closely. There will be lots of stuff in there that could be adapted to UFC 4.

If they add hard shots, and you throw a looping, full committed overhand, it shouldn't be comboable into an uppercut unless there is a huge windup / delay.

Perhaps this is something they can look at if they are indeed keeping the combo system:

- Touch butt style combos. Light and used more by stick and move guys. Frustrating to play against. Has the least windup, faster recovery but low damage. Animations would show a lot of non-comittal strikes, so minimal body weight shifting, less torque, more arm punches and throwaway stuff. Can combo chain infinitely but easily intercepted by a sit down power punch. Emphasis is similar on all shots. Michael Bisping style. KOs can happen when combined with magical timing.

- Baseball pitcher combos. Heavy stuff. Tires whoever throws but has serious power. Weight transfers into shots. Combo chains are usually very very short. Cadence and windup is different. Emphasis is fully on the last shot in the chain. Think Jab-Jab-BAZOOKAor Hendo Leg Kick-BAZOOKA. KOs happen almost whenever they connect flush.

- Tough guy combos. Throws everything hard. Doesn't have the one punch KO shots like the baseball pitcher. Much more stiff but hurtful. Think Paulo Costa style. Emphasis is on every shot. Combo chains are short. More windup than touch butt. KOs come through wearing down the opponent.

I mean really a hard shot / light shot button would do magic for this stuff but you'd still want to vary the animation styles in combos.

You would then have footwork styles to match the different combo styles and stamina etc.

Just an idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »