Home

Details that were in EA UFC 2 that are not in UFC 3

This is a discussion on Details that were in EA UFC 2 that are not in UFC 3 within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Details that were in EA UFC 2 that are not in UFC 3

I can't believe how much this game has developed since launch, it's pretty amazing everything the devs have patched into this game. Since we're getting near the end of patches for the game, and the game feels pretty balanced and in a good spot right now, at least to me. There are a few things I want to bring up and talk about.

The blood
In EA UFC 2 the blood looked more authentic on the mat. It was darker and the droplets spilled more making it look brutal and closer to real life. I know that they most likely toned down the blood in UFC 3 because they didn't want to give the sport of MMA a bad rep, but still it's MMA. It's bloody and brutal. Sure not all the time but when there's blood, it's a good amount.

Notice how you can keep hitting your opponent even after they're knocked out on the ground. You can't do this anymore in UFC 3, you could in the beta but it got taken out. I hope this is fixed with proper ref interactions.

In EA UFC 3 the blood looks decent. There's droplets and smears like in UFC 2, but the amount that spills in one spot is reduced a little too much imo. You don't get that gritty ground and pound look that was in the second. It's just more toned out and vanishes quicker. Check for yourself.

There's no follow up strikes as you can see as well.

Sad thing is the ground game is kinda growing on me. It's actually fun now with everything they've added.... I still wish we could shrimp, crawl, or cage walk but it's not as bad anymore.

Ground and pound after a ground KO

This was not only in EA UFC 2, this was actually in the UFC 3 beta as well. I think after launch too for a few months. For some odd reason it was taken away. Kind of strange since ref interactions were added and we got the ability to land some more follow up strikes after a KO. Was this forgotten somehow? Extremely curious about this. I would really like to have this feature back, with ref interactions in place before the patches end for UFC 3. This one is a must in my book, especially since the ground game has grown with cage TD's, transitions, ankle picks etc. The ground game is actually enjoyable now.

Fast forward to 0.35

Fast forward to 0:15

KO camera snap
EA UFC 2 still has the better KO's, you just can't top full physics knockouts. Also they had full body ripples which is weird that the first game and second had them, but were removed on the third, I'll touch on that later. Not to mention they didn't have that camera snap we have in UFC 3... However...
The KO's have come a long way in this game and I'm really grateful for that. They're not perfect, and sometimes you get awkward animations, but majority of the time I get some nice physics KO's aka (ragdoll) mixed in animations with occasional physics glitches as well in the FTF department. The camera is not as snappier anymore from what I noticed in some knockouts, but other times it's still there and rather bothersome. If there is anyway to get rid of the "auto snap" maybe give us an option for it in the settings, or just remove it altogether. I think it would make the game look much better. To clarify, the camera movement looks good on the KO's, I'm referring to the snap that happens. I'll show some examples down below.

Not as noticeable in the camera shift here.

More noticeable here. It should play out more natural.

Miscellaneous detailed animations
EA UFC 2 full body ripples (these looked so good and made the replays that much better adding to realism.)

EA UFC 2 posting arm animation when opponent is rocked.

EA UFC 2 wiping blood off face animation.

Not gonna include videos for these last two since you can pretty much look up almost any UFC 2 fight and come across these.

Finally just some suggestions I'd like to add.

The pawing animation for the whiffed clinch should replace the clinch pre deny animation. That way when we want to pre deny we could paw, hand fight while moving as well. Just hold RT/R2 and flick the right stick up tapping it to hand fight or "measure" for distance, and hold the right stick up to post your arm out. I think this could be a clever way to bring in hand fighting.

Faster ground and pound.

The EA UFC 3 beta walking animations.

Physics hit detection. (You mainly see this in replays ESPECIALLY during finish the fight sequences.) It doesn't look too good it definitely needs fixing. Almost like they're pulling their punches, most of the time they don't even connect, ruins the presentation.

A rushing double leg. We have a pretty sick ankle pick animation it would only make it that much better if the double got some love as well. We already have undeniable TD's that could be used for this. (I know this has been mentioned but the undeniable TD's have no sound and land kind of awkward as well.) Would probably just need some sort of scramble animation for this.

Are ground sways still a possible addition?

Lastly, can we please strike and transition in the clinch while moving? It wouldn't look so stationary and wouldn't look like a "slow dance" as it's been called. Maybe speed it up a tad. It'd make it interesting and fun. So we don't have to wait till UFC 4.

So there's my essay for today lol. All in all I appreciate everything the devs have done for this game and you the community as well. We have a pretty well balanced MMA game as it currently stands, it has definitely come a long way. Now we just need the little things. Thanks for reading guys.

Last edited by Stealthhh; 11-26-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Details that were in EA UFC 2 that are not in UFC 3

Good list. Agree on all points. I also liked the animation when you held takedown deny from distance. It was a fun way to tease people that couldn't get you down.

The physics slowed down really do look bad unfortunately. Replays are sometimes really cool, but more often than not look pretty clunky in slo-mo. Many times the KO punch (especially hooks) will miss by 8 inches at the end of a combo. Usually its when someone is falling away, close to knocked out.

Not much to be done here. Hopefully 4 addresses these issues cause most of them don't stand a chance of changing at this stage of the cycle IMO.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Pro

Absolutely great post. It touches on a lot of stuff I don't see many people focusing on too much, and thats the feel and "immersion" of the game.

Look I get it, tight and balanced mechanics are insanely important for this kind of game, especially if you are an online guy, but its details like these that are going to make the game FEEL right.

Dynamic KOs, faster more aggressive Ground and Pound, hits after ground and pound KOs, strikes that bounce the opponents head off the canvas not stop 3 inches from his face, ect....

Its the little things that really fill out the experience.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinfarcements
Absolutely great post. It touches on a lot of stuff I don't see many people focusing on too much, and thats the feel and "immersion" of the game.

Look I get it, tight and balanced mechanics are insanely important for this kind of game, especially if you are an online guy, but its details like these that are going to make the game FEEL right.

Dynamic KOs, faster more aggressive Ground and Pound, hits after ground and pound KOs, strikes that bounce the opponents head off the canvas not stop 3 inches from his face, ect....

Of course, it just seems there's some campaign of sorts to not portray MMA as brutal as it is in the game. If my post would help bring back the blood amounts from UFC 3, or the more vicious GnP with alternating hands, etc. - here it is, I hope they bring these back in 4.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Pro

UFC 3... when you neuter your pitbull

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticFighter
Good list. Agree on all points. I also liked the animation when you held takedown deny from distance. It was a fun way to tease people that couldn't get you down.

The physics slowed down really do look bad unfortunately. Replays are sometimes really cool, but more often than not look pretty clunky in slo-mo. Many times the KO punch (especially hooks) will miss by 8 inches at the end of a combo. Usually its when someone is falling away, close to knocked out.

Not much to be done here. Hopefully 4 addresses these issues cause most of them don't stand a chance of changing at this stage of the cycle IMO.
Thank you! In UFC 2 I used to watch the replays all the time man. In slow motion the physics looked amazing. In 3... Lol I'm scared to watch them because of how ugly they look most of the time. Like you said sometimes they look cool but other times... I didn't mention this but the new seated cage FTF position looks really, really bad in a replay. The camera sometimes show the fighters from above and the one against the cage isn't even leaning on it. He's literally like 2 or 3 feet away from it. I feel like the blood and ground strikes after a KO are possible to fix. Especially the ground strikes since they already had it in.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
Pro

LarsP's Arena

Good points!

We really need more blood, you can throw elbows from full mount for an entire round and your opponent will have a few bruizes on his face.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinfarcements

Appreciate the kind words man! Yeah I usually check the forums once a day or a couple times during the week, and I've seen nothing on the details this game needs. I figured well, someone's gotta do it haha time to make a post. I feel like most of these things are possible to add because we have most animations already in the game for things like this to happen. Physics glitches in finishes? There's clearly physics there to make full ragdoll knockouts happen again. GNP follow up KO strikes? We had them before. The blood? Idk about this one but I feel it's possible since UFC 2 had way better blood. Pawing animation working as a clinch pre deny? They already have the retreating arm animation and the paw animation. Rushing double? Undeniable TD animations. It's these little things that will make this game funner and more complete as a whole. Remember when GPD said after all the balancing was done he wanted to add some fun stuff? Yeah, I hope this is the fun stuff.

Last edited by Stealthhh; 11-26-2018 at 03:38 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »