Home

PES 2017: Another Successful Release in the Books

This is a discussion on PES 2017: Another Successful Release in the Books within the eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
PES 2017: Another Successful Release in the Books

It's no secret that PES 2017 was released to great acclaim this year, building upon previous iterations to provide a soccer simulation that not only rivaled its biggest competitor, but arguably surpassed it.

If you've been following PES' progression in recent years, you'll know the markings have been on the wall for years now. The introduction of the Fox engine marked an upward turn in fortunes for the series, and although its sales figures might still be dwindling in certain parts of the world, it's finally being taken seriously by fans of the sport once more.

I'm going to use this year-end opportunity to discuss why PES 2017 is such a dramatic improvement over its predecessor. Like others, I came into 2016 with only a moderate interest in rekindling my love affair with the PES series, but I'm coming out of it with an intense appreciation for the latest release. Here's what PES 2017 got particularly right this year.

Read More - PES 2017: Another Successful Release in the Books
Platform: PS3 / PC / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #2
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

OVR: 9
Great read. It's going to be awesome seeing how far PES pushes the AI and animations that are always spot on contextually. I really hope BAL gets attention, and ML continues its improvements. One thing that would go a long way for me is getting rid of bringing back retired players as youth players. It's soccer, the amount of potential unique players from the names to the playing styles down all the way to the player skills should be enough to have generic players...like other sports games.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:02 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
Great read. It's going to be awesome seeing how far PES pushes the AI and animations that are always spot on contextually. I really hope BAL gets attention, and ML continues its improvements. One thing that would go a long way for me is getting rid of bringing back retired players as youth players. It's soccer, the amount of potential unique players from the names to the playing styles down all the way to the player skills should be enough to have generic players...like other sports games.
Yeah, I think Master League's handling of regenerative players is its biggest weakness. It's definitely something that needs to be worked on for those who like to adopt multi-season saves.

Transfers in general still need work, too. They're better, but I find loans to be a bit overpowered. It's easy to loan 6-7 top-quality players for the same price as buying one top-quality player outright.

I'm still having a blast with Master League this year, though. PES hasn't been this much fun since the PS2 era.

Last edited by Fraser G.; 12-27-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser G.
Yeah, I think Master League's handling of regenerative players is its biggest weakness. It's definitely something that needs to be worked on for those who like to adopt multi-season saves.

Transfers in general still need work, too. They're better, but I find loans to be a bit overpowered. It's easy to loan 6-7 top-quality players for the same price as buying one top-quality player outright.

I'm still having a blast with Master League this year, though. PES hasn't been this much fun since the PS2 era.
Definitely having a blast as well in Master League. I agree with transfers also needing to be fixed. I find it really easy in general to build up my team. The gameplay is what has me hooked in the mode for sure.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I could never get any of the option files I downloaded installed correctly. I hoped that the PES team would make an online, in-game sharing system, instead of one where we have to download the file to a computer and have everything just so for it to all line up right.

I would like to see more fouls and a clock that only slows to real time and does not stop too.

Otherwise, the matches I did play felt really good and true to the sport. Master League is always a lot of fun too for us Franchise-centric players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: PES 2017: Another Successful Release in the Books

Tried PES game for the first time this year and as a person who is only interested in the Career mode BAL I gave it a go for a while but uninstalled it as I could not get past the having to sit and watch over a half a game in fast forward before I was subbed on.

I don't have a problem with only playing in the second half as a rook as that is what it should be but it should have a option to fast forward you straight to that point, not make me watch it, it was tedious at first but in the end I just gave up in disgust.

Will keep a eye on future releases and will be happy to buy when it gets fixed but until then I am done
Old 12-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Pro

bxphenom7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandGropeR
Tried PES game for the first time this year and as a person who is only interested in the Career mode BAL I gave it a go for a while but uninstalled it as I could not get past the having to sit and watch over a half a game in fast forward before I was subbed on.

I don't have a problem with only playing in the second half as a rook as that is what it should be but it should have a option to fast forward you straight to that point, not make me watch it, it was tedious at first but in the end I just gave up in disgust.

Will keep a eye on future releases and will be happy to buy when it gets fixed but until then I am done
Yeah, that's how you know they didn't touch BAL from last year because the ability to skip ahead to when you're actually on the field is a common sense addition that has to be made.
It's things like that in modes where PES shows its age.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #8
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asu666
I could never get any of the option files I downloaded installed correctly. I hoped that the PES team would make an online, in-game sharing system, instead of one where we have to download the file to a computer and have everything just so for it to all line up right.

I would like to see more fouls and a clock that only slows to real time and does not stop too.

Otherwise, the matches I did play felt really good and true to the sport. Master League is always a lot of fun too for us Franchise-centric players.
Unfortunately, you'll never see something like that, because it makes it too easy for Konami to circumvent the licensing chokehold that FIFA spends so much to keep every year.

That said, it kills me how Konami continues to step on the toes of the editors. I love the idea of Live Updates, but there has to be a way that you can apply them without ruining your edit data, including tactics, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > eFootball - Pro Evolution Soccer »