Home

I'm gonna miss the Sega AI over EA's "********" AI

This is a discussion on I'm gonna miss the Sega AI over EA's "********" AI within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: I'm gonna miss the Sega AI over EA's "********" AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
I don't know if it's my sliders or what, but there is some pretty stupid (and very frustrating) defensive back artificial intelligence in ESPN NFL 2k5.

I played it recently (I haven't really played it much lately, been trying to finish a season in Madden 2005), and in a quick 4 minute quarters game against NYJ, some of my DB's just waited for the ball to be caught to even realize that the ball was thrown. And worst of all, it seemed they wanted to do this on 3rd + 8's and longer. Dagger!

I like both games. I've messed with sliders so much in Madden that it gives me headaches, but I can't say I haven't done the same in ESPN NFL 2k5. Both games have their flaws, and I really can't say I prefer one over the other (although my playing time on the two would say different).
A lot of people need to realize the situation(s) thats playing out in the game. Besides every DB in ESPN isn't a pro bowl DB like in Madden but they do react more realistically than the DBs in Madden. You also have to take in to consideration the receiver(s) and QB(s) involved. Some receivers are better at running routes and breaking bump coverage than others. Some DBs are better at bumping receivers and messing up their routes. There are a few reason a DB would look stupid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 AM   #26
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
I don't know if it's my sliders or what, but there is some pretty stupid (and very frustrating) defensive back artificial intelligence in ESPN NFL 2k5.
Have you tried playing with performance EQ on? Someone had mentioned that this improved the DB play. I tried it and found the game much more enjoyable after giving up for awhile. I don't see the mistakes nearly as much as I used to.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #27
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Have you tried playing with performance EQ on? Someone had mentioned that this improved the DB play. I tried it and found the game much more enjoyable after giving up for awhile. I don't see the mistakes nearly as much as I used to.
Thanks for the suggestion rudyjuly2, I'll have to give it a shot. I never liked playing with EQ on because I like the differences in teams, but if it makes my DB's act more realistic, I'll try it (I believe EQ makes everyone perform equally?).

I don't mind getting beat on a nicely run route or a mistake by my DB (biting on a PA fake), but when the WR catches the ball and my DB continues to backpedal, it's frustrating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #28
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

actually it doesn't make the teams play equally but isn't necessarily the answer either. it will work if you look at it globally but the problem is the lack of animations for weaker defenders. basically the better defenders don't screw up nearly as much and therefore are in position. there are times when they may get beat like in real life but not often. the weaker players screw up more but in the game it just looks like stupid animations. if you call the right defensive plays for teams with weaker secondaries and make shifts you can control it as well, or you can play with teams that have better secondaries. turning EQ on will make the weaker ones play better and the better ones play a little weaker so overall you will see less screw ups. THese ratings will change for everything else too though so you may see more interceptions, maybe better blitzing, or worse, depending on the teams.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:07 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion rudyjuly2, I'll have to give it a shot. I never liked playing with EQ on because I like the differences in teams, but if it makes my DB's act more realistic, I'll try it (I believe EQ makes everyone perform equally?).

I don't mind getting beat on a nicely run route or a mistake by my DB (biting on a PA fake), but when the WR catches the ball and my DB continues to backpedal, it's frustrating!

Try my rosters and sliders and it solves the DB game play 95% of the time. Try them out I think you will like what you see.

Complete set of sliders and Rosters for accurate Gameplay PART 2
Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 PM   #30
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Try my rosters and sliders and it solves the DB game play 95% of the time. Try them out I think you will like what you see.

Complete set of sliders and Rosters for accurate Gameplay PART 2
I'll give them a shot.

Any help on having the receiver catch the ball on a quick out route or in the flats. The ball bounces off their arms and hands WAY too much, it's making me crazy!

Quote:
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 02-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
I'll give them a shot.

Any help on having the receiver catch the ball on a quick out route or in the flats. The ball bounces off their arms and hands WAY too much, it's making me crazy!
Just turn up the human catch slider ALL THE WAY and that should work
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #32
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

But won't that just make my receivers catch everything remotely close to them, even if it's Todd Pinkston?

Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »