Home

EA stranglehold

This is a discussion on EA stranglehold within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
EA stranglehold

when does EA rights expire for nfl games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2006, 01:52 AM   #2
MIB Crew

rspencer86's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: EA stranglehold

I believe EA's exclusive rights deal with the NFL ends late in 2009, since the five-year deal was announced in December 2004. Of course, there's a good chance that they will just re-up with the NFL for another five or so years. I mean, what company would outbid them?

I guess if you are an optimist, you could cling onto the hope that EA will take a look around, assume that no other company could produce a quality NFL game for quite some time, and let the exclusive license deal go in order to try to save a few bucks.

Don't hold your breath, though. It's the sad-but-true reality of football videogames right now.

-Ryan

University of Missouri '09
Twitter: @RyanASpencer

Royals / Chiefs / Bulls / Mizzou / Sporting KC

PSN: MizzouTigerrr
Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rspencer86
I believe EA's exclusive rights deal with the NFL ends late in 2009, since the five-year deal was announced in December 2004. Of course, there's a good chance that they will just re-up with the NFL for another five or so years. I mean, what company would outbid them?
-Ryan
I think the decision lies with the NFL. If the NFL changes its mind about exclusivity, then you may see multiple-licensed NFL games. I'm assuming that the NFL would name a price and you'd step up if you wanna play in that space. It's the NFL decision that counts. Same as baseball...
Old 11-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Maybe we should send the NFL a link to our little OS Football section here. Perhaps it'll be important to point out that there exists a subsection of consumers who would rather play a game from three years ago than anything that's been produced subsequent to the signing of EA's exclusive license.

Perhaps we could also research and deliver several examples of successful free market, and how the free-market's competition actually increases the NFL's profits. Personally, I believe the NFL did it to make a little more cash for their NFL Network project. They're funneling a whole lotta change through that baby. I'm not entirely convinced that the NFL is ga-ga over EA's product, but the convenience their payment represents.

But all we can really do, as consumers, is express our disdain. The mail-sorter will probably just read the introductions, though. We need a louder voice.

Uhh...well, dammit, call me a Democrat, but I'm stumped for a plan of action. Brains (i.e. good product) are losing pretty dramatically to brawn (i.e. big business).

All I know is I won't be caught dead paying $50 for anything with the name Electronic Arts on the package. Ever. If people would be smarter consumers for a change, and realize how screwed they are every time they buy from a lousy, corner-cutting, unrealistic, sophomoric, money-hungry developer like EA . . . if they realized the comedy of spending top dollar on such low-grade work, and how they're contributing to the furthering of the mentality that cutting corners will always always always make a better profit . . . if EA fans would just WAKE FREAKING UP to how unrespected they truly are, and NOT buy Madden when it first hits the shelves . . . well, then, maybe we could make a difference.

But then, if I knew how to wake people up, we'd have a no-party system, all-local restaurants and bars, freedom to do whatever we want to our own bodies (isn't that truly taking responsibility for ourselves?), state-sponsored healthcare, and publicly maintained media (now there's a concept).

The success of underhanded corporations like EA, and all companies like it, means that we all live under the curse of interesting lives.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Last edited by mojopin; 11-25-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 12

The NFL will only do what is most profitable. For the next five years, it's EA's deal. If EA is willing to pay a number in 2009 that is more profitable than the alternative, it will happen again.

I'd rather drink beer because drinking alot of beers makes you more manly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2006, 06:06 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22

While I'd love to see another football game from Vc/2k sports, the fact of the matter is that Madden appeals to the masses that buy it. I've got friends who've played ball on the next level (college ball) that absolutely love Madden. They don't disect it and say "man, this isn't realistic". It's just a fun game to pick up and play. I only play NCAA but as far as Madden vs. 2k, it is what it is.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #7
MVP

HitDoctor's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopin
. . . if EA fans would just WAKE FREAKING UP to how unrespected they truly are, and NOT buy Madden when it first hits the shelves . . . well, then, maybe we could make a difference.
I'm on board with this completely!! Only way I buy the game brand new from here out is if a)the game is near flawless gameplay wise b)no a$$ clown bugs within the game or when integrated with NCAA and c)atmosphere that rivals 2k5.

Here is to hoping that 360 makes 2k5 BC!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopin
if EA fans would just WAKE FREAKING UP to how unrespected they truly are, and NOT buy Madden when it first hits the shelves . . . well, then, maybe we could make a difference.
The problem is that most EA fans arent really "EA Fans" meaning they arent diving into the inner workings of EA as a company, the NFL deal, etc. They are Madden Fans, Madden happens to be made by EA. And to be honest, most fans (if you really want to call them that) like Madden just fine the way it is. If it were not the case, you wouldlnt have to think up grass roots rock the vote type of ideas to get EA to get off thier azzes and really work hard on thier product. If I produce a game, and 2 million people are buying it and !% of that group is the people who sit on message boards ranting about it, well there arent enough of you to make me want to do anything different than what ive been doing.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »