Home

The charge up meter in 2K4?

This is a discussion on The charge up meter in 2K4? within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
The charge up meter in 2K4?

Does anyone know how this works in 2K4? I mean I hear there is this chaining of moves. Is it something lke charging up the meter, than when you use a move it will start to deplete power from the meter? As long as there is power in your meter you can keep chaining moves? If this is how it works this game could be very cool if done correctly and not very arcade like. Any info would be nice. Sorry if this has been posted or answered already.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 1
Re: The charge up meter in 2K4?

As far as I know, and maybe those who have played can correct me if I'm wrong, but it's basically the same as before except this time more noticable. Tapping the speed burst will give you a well... speed burst, which you'll see by a small yellow flash in the circle under the ball carrier. The speed burst is now more noticable.
However, holding the speed burst button will "charge" up the circle, it will flash and then turn red. Like before, when it's charged, any move (shoulder charge, spin, juke, stiff arm, etc.) will be enhanced.
Here's where the chain reaction comes in. For nimble fingered runners (like myself) say you charge up the meter and then hit SPIN. As soon as you hit the spin button hit any other move button, say stiff arm. As soon as the animation for spin is completed the man on-screen will automatically perform a stiff arm. So you can "chain" moves together, making for potentially spectacular runs as the on screen player seems to "anticipate" the oncoming defender-- just like in real life.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #3
Rookie

Now that sounds cool. I know I never had luck tapping the run button to speed bust. Never was able to see a gain in speed. Who also had a very tough time using the spin in 2K3??? I know I did it seemes to never work for me, I do not know if it is more of a timing thing or what.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 10

Did they ever mention how many moves you could chain together? If so how many?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:55 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Yeah. The spin is more of a timing issue. To make the game more realistic they implemented the stutter-step spin. In games past and present you either spin in place (unrealistic) or spun while not really close to the defender (also unrealistic yet not quite as much so). In 2k3 they made it so you spin off of the contact of the defender (much more realistic). If you hit spin while you were a couple yards away from any one, you would just do a stutter-step, which sometimes was more effective than the juke button. If a defender was close, your man would still stutter-step, but would then spin when the defender touched him, making for a more realistic presentation of the NFL and less like the video games we're all used to playing. NFL 2K series makes you think NFL football, not video game football.

As for how many moves we can chain... I haven't heard yet either, .... But I'd imagine how ever many buttons you can press in quick succession before a the first move animation is complete.-- No more than a couple.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:

gooberstabone said:
Yeah. The spin is more of a timing issue. To make the game more realistic they implemented the stutter-step spin. In games past and present you either spin in place (unrealistic) or spun while not really close to the defender (also unrealistic yet not quite as much so). In 2k3 they made it so you spin off of the contact of the defender (much more realistic). If you hit spin while you were a couple yards away from any one, you would just do a stutter-step, which sometimes was more effective than the juke button. If a defender was close, your man would still stutter-step, but would then spin when the defender touched him, making for a more realistic presentation of the NFL and less like the video games we're all used to playing. NFL 2K series makes you think NFL football, not video game football.

I understand the reason for the stutter step to make it more realistic, but I could hardly ever pull off a spin, even when close to the defender.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:22 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

yeah... I didn't say it was easy.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:27 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 14

Aww man, when they said chain moves together I thought they meant more than one move at the same time. Like you could do a spin hurdle while stiff-arming.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »