Home

I'm starting to enjoy this game...but some things can improve

This is a discussion on I'm starting to enjoy this game...but some things can improve within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2003, 09:44 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
I\'m starting to enjoy this game...but some things can improve

Initially it took some time to get used to the controls but eventually i picked up on it. I finally played espn then madden back and forth for a little while then I finally decided to throw my vote to ESPN. It's a nice change from ncaa football which i play religiously. I went through the first season with the "eggles" and came up short in the final game of the year against The redskins which ultimately cost me a playoff berth as well as a division title and gave it to the skins. I got excited about the draft period and I talked simoneau out of retirement, and traded Duce staley John ritchie and James thrash for Larry Johnson and their #2 pick in the draft. Big State fan and LJ could be ny future. With my picks I got two stellar receeivers to fill some voids and pick up a strong and tall Qb as I focused most on offense this year-I love this wheeling and dealing aspect of a game!!!

Dumped 4.5 million off by getting rid of Aj feely, traded for dave Ragone and voila! my Offense is set with mcnabb at the helm. The draft picks faired well in the opening pre=season game and Lj and cory buckhalter shared dutiies ast the tback posion with my "Alstot like" FB from san jose state leading the way. I'm excited about my O this year and the game modes have made it enjoyable...but...

They need to fix the herky jerky of the running game, add some eye candy like superbowl history/retire jerseys ceremony, and. add more variety to the commentary like female injury report

Madden has aspects I like, fever has aspects I like and Espn have aspects I like. I won't be satisfied till that one game gives me everything I want...Until then Espn has my money
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: I\'m starting to enjoy this game...but some things can improve

That's great to hear. I have a few questions about a few things you brought up. Mainly the off-season aspects of the game that I have yet to encounter. I started a franchise with the Giants and I have been planning the offseason for quite some time now because I have Strahan and Collins due at the end of the year as well as some other key defensive players. My question would be: how were you in relation to the cap and were you able to make a few moves after all the resignings, if you had to? And were you able to sign all your draft picks if you wanted to?
With Strahan and Collins, I'm not sure if I can sign both and still sign my 1st and 2nd round picks.....
Old 11-05-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Rookie

yeah, that's tricky. even with dumping duce, thrash, and ritchie that left me with about 4.5 mil under the cap so when it came to signing my draft picks I had to cut some more of the fat..aka..Aj Mcfeely and Koy detmer( who in the hell is paying 4mil for this guy?). I only really wanted three of the players i drafted so the other guys I just left go. You're gonna have to really weigh it up. If you have a guy in the draft that you plan to pick up and he can immediately take the place of one of your higher paid, aging vets then go with the risk factor on the rookie. I'd keep an ace in the hole though. for instance if you trade Strahan, pick up aback up DE off waivers or through trade and take that draft pick to pick up a future DE or whatever skill position you think will need the immediate attention. Guys like Strahan and collins are about in their prime so you could probably get away with some good trades for them and still fill those positions with impact players who may even be younger and less costly. Rule of thumb for me is that when a guy has about 9-10 years in then it's usually time to start looking for a replacement because more than likely they'll be retiring or asking for more money.

I'd say the QB position is a riskier move because it's a more responsible position. Through a trade, You could probably get a good draft pick and another DE to fill up Strahan's spot and take that extra money in the cap to sigh a top rookie to pick up the slack on D. Hope this helped and Good luck...Let me know How things turn out!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
MVP

VanillaEps's Arena

OVR: 8

I went through a couple of options and the trade possibility was definitely plausible. The problem with that is the cap itself. Ironically. When I try and trade Strahan way to another team for a draft pick or for a pick and a younger DE, the cap always gets in the way of finalizing a trade. In my franchise, the Dolphins have Taylor on the block and the Steelers have Williams on the block. Both DE's that are younger or slightly younger than Strahan and can impact immediately. The problem with both teams is cap room. They can't afford to take Strahan's salary unless I take on more salary - which I can't either.
Makes the game a lot more interesting. Although I have plotted the salary of the team across the next few years and have found a way to re-sign both Collins and Strahan - in addition to a few key defensive players like Jones and Short - but I can only sign maybe 1 or 2 draft picks. We'll see.
Old 11-06-2003, 11:42 AM   #5
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I had to let Strahan go in free agency after year 1. He got 10 million from the Cowboys. No way I was paying him that much at his age. There are usually good replacements at much cheaper values $4 - $5 million. There is a fine line between saving money for rookies and injuries and not spending enough money and having too much left over. I'm not sure where that line stands but if you have $8 million still left after the free agent period, I think you are doing fine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2003, 12:49 PM   #6
Rookie

Yeah, Strahan may be a good risk to let go. Ya got holmes there who's a beast. If ya can't get any trades for him definately market him out there at the end of the season and get yourself some nice draft picks.

As a side not: Damn I'm glad I talked Mark Simoneu out of retirement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »