Home

Trying 2K5 on PC vs XBOX

This is a discussion on Trying 2K5 on PC vs XBOX within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 10
Trying 2K5 on PC vs XBOX

I already have 2K5 on my XBOX running perfectly fine, but it does involve hooking up the XBOX.
Just found out about playing on PC, I know emulation talk isn't allowed so I won't go there, you can fill in the gaps with how I tried that. The thing is, if there is no other benefit to playing a PS2 version because rosters are the only thing available for this game, and on top of that you lose the full video highlight reels, is there a reason I'm not getting for why you'd play the PS2 version if like me you can play on XBOX? Because, without getting into details, the PS2 "method" didn't exactly produce graphics that looked any good. And I don't mean, the graphics were dated, I mean even for the quality of the game, the graphics didn't seem properly reproduced.

Any thoughts here? Just want to understand why the PS2 method is so passionately liked in the community? Just because it can be done?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2018, 01:04 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Trying 2K5 on PC vs XBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
I already have 2K5 on my XBOX running perfectly fine, but it does involve hooking up the XBOX.
Just found out about playing on PC, I know emulation talk isn't allowed so I won't go there, you can fill in the gaps with how I tried that. The thing is, if there is no other benefit to playing a PS2 version because rosters are the only thing available for this game, and on top of that you lose the full video highlight reels, is there a reason I'm not getting for why you'd play the PS2 version if like me you can play on XBOX? Because, without getting into details, the PS2 "method" didn't exactly produce graphics that looked any good. And I don't mean, the graphics were dated, I mean even for the quality of the game, the graphics didn't seem properly reproduced.

Any thoughts here? Just want to understand why the PS2 method is so passionately liked in the community? Just because it can be done?

Thanks!
If you have a strong enough PC the game runs at a full 60 fps which is smoother than the consoles. Also, if you are playing 2k5 on the 360 there are significant graphical issues which are not present on the PS2 emulated version (don't worry operationsports posters, I own the game on both systems!). The PS2/emulated version allows for save states so you can pause and save at any point. You do lose some of the xbox graphical features and video highlights but the trade off is worth it, IMO.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyloaf
If you have a strong enough PC the game runs at a full 60 fps which is smoother than the consoles. Also, if you are playing 2k5 on the 360....
When I said playing on XBOX, I meant playing on XBOX not 360. In any event, I've tried both and I'm going to keep playing on the XBOX. To me, having played the game back then and trying it now via the PS2 emulator with all the tweaks, I personally just feel the emulation suffers. First of all, the game was meant for a non progressive scan television, at 480i, in 4x3 aspect ratio and probably at 29.9fps, so it isn't really meant to look better than it did and the things I've seen done to it to graphically improve it don't look better (just in my opinion) they just look synthetic like photos with instagram filters. For example when you see an 8-bit console game running without scan lines, it just looks wrong because that was actually factored into the original look by the game devs at the time and without them it looks too sharp.
Anyway I think it's cool nevertheless that it can be done via an emulator and that those options exist but for me, those 2K ESPN games were among the best ever made for NFL, MLB, and NHL and it removes a lot from the experience to not have Chris Berman's halftime show. So much fun.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #4
Game Dev

TheBleedingRed21's Arena

OVR: 21

The game runs 100% on PC. If you are getting freezes or graphic issues, your setting aren’t set up properly. Dont play any longer but played on PC for quite some time and the graphical part is actually better on PC.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
The game runs 100% on PC. If you are getting freezes or graphic issues, your setting aren’t set up properly. Dont play any longer but played on PC for quite some time and the graphical part is actually better on PC.
It's the stuttering audio I've never been able to fix. Plus, as I said, I prefer the video replay halftime show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
It's the stuttering audio I've never been able to fix. Plus, as I said, I prefer the video replay halftime show.
You know you can do this on PCSX2 as well..Only thing is, you must play through your games, if you like saving and coming back to it, the game will crash.

Come check out the forums @
http://www.THLForums.com
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #7
Rookie

Luca_Blight's Arena

OVR: 0

You can use a virtual Hard Drive on PCSX2 for the halftime highlight reels. Just google that. It's not too hard to set up either.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrick4life
you must play through your games, if you like saving and coming back to it, the game will crash.
I don't get what that means. NFL 2K5 doesn't have mid-game saves anyway, does it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »