Home

NFL2k5: Poor Special Teams Blocking Logic

This is a discussion on NFL2k5: Poor Special Teams Blocking Logic within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2004, 10:20 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
NFL2k5: Poor Special Teams Blocking Logic

Hey NFL2kers!

I have noticed that whenever my CPU opponent punts the ball, my computer-controlled teammates don't know how to get set up for blocks right before I catch the ball. Here is what happens:

The CPU is getting ready to punt the ball. Before he does so, I switch control to one of the second DBs that is NOT lined up on a receiver. There is always one WR on each end, with two DBs in front of each one. The DB that I control is the one that is not lined up directly in front of the WR. Before the punt I back my DB off the line of scrimmage about 10 yards. When the ball is in the air, I survey the field to see who is the nearest opponent that could reach my return guy. Before I lose sight of him (before the gamer's field of view is now focused beyond the two teams lines and on your return man) I take him out by diving at him.

In the meantime, there is about two or three of my CPU teammates running back to SUPPOSEDLY block for my return man. Not so. THE IDIOTS ALWAYS END UP RUNNING BEHIND AND AWAY FROM MY RETURN MAN UNTIL AFTER HE CATCHES THE BALL!! They NEVER form a barrier in front of the return man to begin blocking for his return! They always run to a point BEHIND the return man, making them obsolete in the play.

Has anyone experienced this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: NFL2k5: Poor Special Teams Blocking Logic

Yeah, this happens every time...It stinks, but it seems like a short-cut to keep people from busting 80-yd returns on every kick. One way around it (sort of) is to take control of one of the far back blockers while the kick is in the air and take out the nearest threat, then - if you have time - switch to another blocker and try to engage someone else before the ball gets to your return man. But it's tough.

I like kick returns to be limited in a way, though, because in older versions of the game you used to be able to get way to many yards off of kick returns, thus making the benefit of kicking almost zero (which in turn led to more people going for it on long 4th downs, because punting just wasn't worth it). In my opinion, you have to really make punting worth it, which ESPN does, in order to keep the game real and prevent people from saying "screw it, if I punt the guy's just gonna return it practically to my LOS anyway, so I might as well go for it"...
Old 08-27-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

I’ve started powering up and juking and stuff, and it’s helping. And I almost got around the corner last night because the first guy missed me (the same guy who usually nails me at the 19). But someone was right behind him and just managed to grab my ankle as he dove. So, things are looking up. I’ve noticed a couple of times that the CPU coverage team is way over to one side (intentionally I think, to give you a chance). All one needs to do when that happens is to get around that first guy…
Old 08-27-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

i dont know about this....in one and a half seasons in my franchise, i have one punt return for touchdown, and also had one where i was tackled at the 2 yard line. I ALWAYS control the player in the middle who is playing behind my punt return lineman. i think it is the SS or FS. what i do is run back to my returner when the ball is punted and I usually end up blocking the first guy down the field. from there, it is all about running straight up the guy lookin for a whole and speed bursting your way threw...the problem I have is the CPU returning punts or kickoffs, they rarely get any yards off of me.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

the blockers are never behind me its just that they do a bad job blocking but i can still get a respectable number of yards. I can about anywhere from 3 to 20 which is pretty realistic imo. but mostly i can 6 to 10 yards
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2004, 01:42 PM   #6
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

i agree that the blockers are incompetent, but it is a CPU tactic that makes it a challenge...not an impossibility. That's why it doesn't bother me so bad, b/c I feel it's there on purpose to make the game harder, and not just a programming glitch or sloppy design by lazy developers.

There is something that I don't like, however. Whenever I punt, I immediately try to take control of one of the blockers off the line and have him race downfield to try to make the tackle. But after I take control of the guy, I can't make him move. Or, he moves baack towards the punter, at which time I frantically switch to someone who I CAN control and make race downfield.

I don't understand this. The only thing I can think of is that maybe that the play calls for the guy I am trying to control to "stay back" and not race downfild, but remain a "last line of defense" or something.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
All Star

nkhera1's Arena

OVR: 16

maybe you are pushing the analog stick the wrong way, it doesn't happen to me, but then again i always take control of one of the wr getting ready to tackle the punter
Old 08-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #8
Pro

globalbeats7's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
i agree that the blockers are incompetent, but it is a CPU tactic that makes it a challenge...not an impossibility. That's why it doesn't bother me so bad, b/c I feel it's there on purpose to make the game harder, and not just a programming glitch or sloppy design by lazy developers.

There is something that I don't like, however. Whenever I punt, I immediately try to take control of one of the blockers off the line and have him race downfield to try to make the tackle. But after I take control of the guy, I can't make him move. Or, he moves baack towards the punter, at which time I frantically switch to someone who I CAN control and make race downfield.

I don't understand this. The only thing I can think of is that maybe that the play calls for the guy I am trying to control to "stay back" and not race downfild, but remain a "last line of defense" or something.
nah...cuz i switch over to my cover guys like my CB and they do the same thing...when u switch over they basically stop....so what I have ended up doing is not switching over until the CPU catches the ball and the screen has flipped....and that point you can switch to the guy you want without this problem occurring.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »