Home

Catamount Rising: The Unauthorized Biography

This is a discussion on Catamount Rising: The Unauthorized Biography within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Catamount Rising: The Unauthorized Biography

A Giant Emerges

When entrepreneur Lee Braden began his fledgling garage-based sports apparel business in early 2000, not even his far reaching dreams could have envisioned the levels of success and the span of influence he’d experience in less than a decade. From a college graduate to a rising businessman, his extreme sport and cold weather gear, Hard Kore®, exploded in the Northeast US and into Canada. In less than 3 years, he landed the Quebec Junior AAA Hockey League sports apparel contract. His tactics snowballed into a long list of professional leagues wearing the in vogue sportswear, including his prized get, the Canadian Football League. Hard Kore® blitzed onto the scene and was quickly becoming the East Coast rival to Nike.

By January 2006, Braden, an avid football fan, was an established and prominent booster at his alma mater, Vermont University, and an in-the-ear advisor to Athletic Director Robert Corran. Inspired by the University of Connecticut’s move into FBS football, Braden had spent the last year lobbying in help to resurrect the Vermont football program dormant since 1974. With his ultimate of goal bringing Vermont back to prominence in major BCS football, a savvy Braden knew that the financial risks would not pass with boosters, the University and much less the Vermont state legislature. But if the unspoken second part of his plan were ever to see fruition, he’d have to settle for a smaller step. The FCS was still Division I football and would be a tough sell but just like his now giant corporation, he needed to start in the garage.

Last edited by bknutz; 12-17-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Catamount Rising: The Unauthorized Biography

Opportunity In Crisis

The New England Patriots mania was at its strongest. The de facto team for the entire Northeast had just come off one of the greatest 5 year runs in NFL history, winning 3 Super Bowls. Everybody was feeling it and everybody wanted more. Braden rode the euphoric wave that swept through the Northeast and by April he had AD Corran and enough booster support to set his plan in motion. The last obstacle was the Vermont state legislation. They were reluctant to sign off on the deal without further studies that could tie up the project for years.

Then came rumblings that the NCAA was looking to freeze Division I membership while an investigation could be done. The landscape was already showing signs of change as schools were looking to protect their long-term interests. Major college football had become big business and the window of opportunity was slamming shut on Vermont football. Like many great entrepreneurs, the art is selling a vision and Braden painted the horizon of monetary green and the risk of falling behind other institutions in athletics. The State bought in and the construction of a 25,000 capacity stadium on the existing Centennial Field location was set for completion to begin the 2008 football season as a member of the Colonial Athletic Association. Vermont football was back.

In June of 2007, the NCAA announced that it was freezing all Division I membership for a 4 year period. The rumor had come true and the execution of the freeze gave Braden clout as a forward thinker and innovator amongst the power players in Vermont.

Last edited by bknutz; 12-17-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Rookie

The Uni’s

In the spring of 2008, it was announced that, booster, Lee Braden would offer his Hard Kore
® line for all university athletics, including the newly formed football program. The arrival of the new uniforms garnered as much sports related press as the university had seen in years. It would be traditional but with the trending multi-look that was gaining fame on the West Coast. Braden knew the end game was recruiting and would be ultra-important for a program located in one of the least populated states. Phil Knight had turned Oregon into an almost overnight sensation amongst the flash and glitz youth. That kind of brashness would never fly unchecked in the Northeast where the team of choice, Patriots, was more substance than style. But Braden thought it might give them an edge over down the road over the regional teams Boston College, Connecticut and Syracuse that relied on very traditional and plain uniform designs.

Attached Images
File Type: png uniforms.png (318.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by bknutz; 12-17-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
MVP

Adam14's Arena

OVR: 10

As a Vermonter, I'm all in with this. Do it up!

Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ-Titans
As a Vermonter, I'm all in with this. Do it up!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know very little about Vermont. But with google and a little imagination, I hope to make it realistic. Ive difficult sliders and lots of recruiting restrictions to represent the difficulties i think Vermont would have.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
MVP

Adam14's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknutz
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know very little about Vermont. But with google and a little imagination, I hope to make it realistic. Ive difficult sliders and lots of recruiting restrictions to represent the difficulties i think Vermont would have.
In all seriousness, if you've got any questions about the state, feel free to shoot me a message. I've lived here for 25 years.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

OVR: 8

Go Catamounts! -Western Carolina
Old 12-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrulenc