Home

OUTRAGE over DLC courses?

This is a discussion on OUTRAGE over DLC courses? within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: OUTRAGE over DLC courses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalbeats7
i wouldnt call people out like that ya know. if gamers have the funds and choose to pay for DLC then thats their decision. these are OPTIONS we have now that we didnt have in previous generations. if you want to argue the pricing, availability, etc then you have a valid concern but its not like they stripped courses from the game and now charge a fee for them. last year i chose not to purchase any DLC content for my reasons. This year im thinking about it. but dont call people names because they made the decision to pay $10 or whatever for a couple extra courses. i mean if you buy ringtones for your phone then according to you, youd be the sucker....right? so ease off on putting others down to make yourself look like the consumer expert. people come from all walks of life and have vast differences in finances and as consumers we can elect to purchase whatever we choose. at the same time, EA is a business. yes from the gamers perspective they should make us happy but they have an obligation to profit from their product. if they dont, then the trickle down affect will hurt the consumer because that product will either not exist or be severly deflated. so for every person you want to call a sucker for spending $$ on DLC you should prob start thanking them for pumping more $$ into the very same product you are thinking of buying.

and if you buy ringtones or games on ur phone, recently bought a car and spent the extra $$ to have a moonroof, or you have hbo and showtime with your cable provider, or you just ordered a sandwich and payed extra for cheese....the list goes on and on and on. then shame on you for calling others a sucker when you fall right in line with it.
You can't be serious. Tiger sales hemorrhaged last year. Instead of lowering prices to increase sales or keep the price the same and step up their game they've decided to charge MORE for the game, knowing they have (since you love this word) suckers.

Next year they should have DLC to sign your scorecard. Buy a 1000 pack for $30, so it's only 3 cents a pop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #42
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

I see this in two ways - 1. I don't like that DLC is a part of career mode and it's conflicting reports as to whether it harms you or not to skip DLC events; on the other hand, this is the reality of the capitalistic market. I think it's a stretch to say that the DLC is required or on the same level as making people pay for the SB in Madden. If you don't like it, don't buy the game or don't buy the product.

I was upset when I found out that Madden 11 made people pay for Madden Moments live, a feature i felt should be included w/ the package. That (among other reasons) is one of the reasons I passed on M11.

To me it always comes back to this: No one is forcing you to buy the game or buy the DLC, it's just an enhancement product just like map packs are for COD or shooting games.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #43
MVP

brandon27's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
My issue is we will most likely have to pay for these same courses all over again next year.
That hits the nail on the head right there if you ask me. I didnt buy TW11 because i bought courses for TW09. I couldnt justify buying TW11 after buying TW10, and the DLC courses. Just doesnt make sense to me to do it all over again the year after. If Augusta wasnt in TW12 this year, I probably still would have kept 09 and the DLC. I dont play online, its strictly offline play with friends and career mode that I use, so older game versions and DLC are completely fine for me. Chances are, I wont buy TW13 next year unless theres some big new thing since I bought both the eagle and birdie packs this year.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #44
Pro

OVR: 13

Can they please let the public choose courses? I mean, they have TPC San Antonio, Liberty National, TPC Scottsdale, and Greenbrier on the disc and have Major Championship/Tournament Courses on the DLC like Bethpage, Turnberry, Oakmont, Pinehurst, Riviera, and Torrey Pines. Plus they removed Bay Hill. I haven't bought the game yet, and I will probably buy TW PGA Tour 10 instead of this because of the much better course list excluding Augusta.

Last edited by loloben; 04-02-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:59 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 6

Well, I'm old enough to remember where this was standard issue with golf games. PGA, Links, etc. all had their expansions with different courses. They were a bit more expensive, If I remember each were $10-$20 a pop. But the courses were generally compatible with newer versions. You just bought "Links Championship Course: Pebble Beach". It didn't really matter which Links you had.

So while I'm generally against DLC, paying for additional courses doesn't really bother me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2011, 07:39 AM   #46
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peigone
He's essentially defending the POV that spending additional money in order to fully play a career mode that's missing 25% of its content, is not only entirely okay, but that people who can't appreciate that are nothing more than complainers. And you're applauding that.

It's game over folks. The corporations have won. Black is white, down is up, and we're their smiling, submissive credit card-carrying flunkies.

So for those who try and think further ahead than, you know, tonight's supper, you understand where this is headed, right?

Madden NFL 12 -- Includes 10 unique and generic stadiums to play in! (Real stadiums available as DLC at a nominal fee.)

NHL 13 -- Battle your way though the long and gruelling 82-game season! (Playoff and Stanley Cup game action available as DLC for an additional cost.)

Actually that last one has already happened. EA put out Road to the World Cup, but didn't allow the User to actually compete in the World Cup final!

Wake up and smell the coffee, people. Or happily grab your credit cards. (Whichever applies to you.)
HUGE difference between Madden, NHL, etc and Tiger Woods. The stadiums are part of the licensing for each sport. There is nothing in the PGA TOUR license for Tiger that all PGA TOUR courses are in the game. If this were the case, then EA would have been using ALL the courses since PGA TOUR Golf for the Sega Genesis. Each TW 360/PS3 course is between 150-250 MB in sixa, FAR larger than what a stadium file size would be and EA also has to go to each course, laser-scan, GPS and then create the course. And oh BTW, they have to negotiate a LICENSE for each real course in the game. This is probably one of the larger expenses for TW that other games do not have to deal with both from a monetary and personnel perspective. Comparing PGA TOUR courses to stadiums is really nowhere near an apples to apples comparison, nice try though.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #47
The Man!

sroz39's Arena

OVR: 14
This DLC thing gets beaten to death every single year. Thing is, the facts don't change. There's nothing to debate. Guys compare the Wii TW to the 360/PS3 TW. That's not even apples and oranges. Its worse. The size of a course on the Wii Tiger doesn't even come close to the 150MB MINIMUM that it is on the 360/PS3. They can't fit anymore courses on a 360 disc.

"But a Blu-Ray disc can hold so much more" is what I've seen in this thread. No doubt. But EA can't, in any sensible business scenario, make the PS3 version more appealing than the 360 version for the same price. They have too many fans of the game who play it on the 360. They can't offer a PS3 version for $60 that has 30 courses and a 360 version for $60 that has 15/16. Might as well kiss your relationship with MS goodbye. Even still, they offered a Collector's Edition on the PS3 for $10 more with 5 additional courses ($2 a course!).

Every year, there seems to be a thread like this and every year but this one, we've had a legitimate complaint. This year, we got cheaper courses, available on Day One AND they are able to be used in Career Mode? I see NO reason for complaints, despite the less-than-ideal manner in which the courses get included in Career Mode. Definitely not a gamebreaker.

Sent from work...or my bathroom using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #48
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I wonder why they added the DLC courses to career mode? What made them change this?

Oh yes, because the community has been asking for this for years.

Rather than get "upset" people need to make informed decisions. The included course list is not kept secret.

This year I am skipping TW12 and just sticking with TW11 since I already have most of the DLC for that. Nothing against those that are buying it either.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »