Home

The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #417
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The Golf Club 2019 Impressions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp10
Thanks again! Actually we went immediately to Turn Order when so we have been watching the other guy but it's working out much better to not see the other guy. It's sped up play by a good 35% for us which is great, and as I say much more like RLG when you are walking--you might be on opposite sides of a fairway so you don't really see the other guy unless you are looking for him. Just like in RLG, we negotiate 'who's away?' and if you're going to take a while to be ready to hit and it's your turn to hit we might say, 'go ahead if you're ready...' This is what we do in RLG and it works here. It's great you can't proceed to the next hole w/o each player completing the hole. The only improvement we could see is it might be cool to be able to electively watch the other player hit by turning your view towards him wherever he is on the hole and watching, but then again the main reason why things are sped up is that you can be setting up your shot while the other guy is hitting, versus stopping to watch them hit. We are loving this aspect!
I've played the way you're describing above and it works great and definitely picks up the pace. All players have to be onboard and communicating for it to work though, but when they are, it's a lot of fun. If expressed your idea of turning your view from wherever you're at on the course to watch you playing companion(s) play their shots. For example, you both could be sizing up and aiming your next shots, then if they're away, the camera could automatically turn your view to where they're at when they start their swing. The camera could pick up the ball from your perspective, track it, and even cut to the finish on your command, allowing you to speed the camera up as well.

You're both doing things in parallel that cut down on time, but you're not missing any of the real action. We had this in PGA Championship Golf 2000, although the cameras wouldn't cut to the other player, but you could always see them. Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear Challenge had parallel play also, and I think they called it Ready Golf. You both set up and played your shots simultaneously, then you'd see a virtual instant replay of your opponent hitting his shot, after you'd watched yours. I sped things up roughly 25 to 30%.

Quote:
I got the same impression playing just 18h about the higher difficulty w/ getting perfect tempo in Master clubs. So what I am doing is playing the Career mode in Master, then for live matches w/ my partner we are playing Pro--practice perfect is the idea ;o)
That sounds like a good plan. I know I don't have a chance in Society tournaments unless I'm playing Pro clubs, but I run into players who are killing it with Master clubs. It takes a lot of skill and confidence to master the tempo at that level, but it can be done.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:16 PM   #418
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is weird. I'm in the game's PGA Tour mode, playing HARD w/ Master clubs, we go to TPC Scottsdale for the Waste Management event and we're on the....white tees? And in the Tour my chief rival seems to be a lady. Something's odd about this!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #419
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

To those of you who joined DSP - Digital Sportspage Society last month, we are starting a new season today if you'd like to jump in or back in. We'll have 55 events, in what will be season 4 for the Digital Sportspage Society. We have an 18 hole Daily tournament, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and then a 72 hole tournament starting Thursday, usually at the most faithful RCR of the PGA TOUR course being played that week.

Join us at friendBOMBER's LiDAR rendering of Hackensack GC today!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #420
Rookie

PhillsPhan26's Arena

OVR: 19

This is easily becoming my favorite game.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #421
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillsPhan26
This is easily becoming my favorite game.
Just curious, what has made it turn around for you?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2019, 04:11 PM   #422
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Flightwhite24, check your PMs.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #423
Rookie

NateTeut's Arena

OVR: 3

Just picked this game up a couple months ago on PS4 and am really enjoying it. Having a zillion playable courses sure makes for a high replay value. Thanks to all those who put their time in to course create.

I've become reasonably proficient at driving, at approaches, and at putting, but I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to chip or hit bunker shots from around the greens. I know that in Tiger/Rory you had the ability to use the D-Pad to adjust the 'distance triangle' thing that told you how far you wanted the ball to travel in the air........but unless I'm missing something, is nothing like that available in TGC3? It seems too hard to try and hit a ball at like 65% power.....I have to be like Commander Data or something to figure out when to stop my backswing. So, I just find myself doing the super-quick down/up on the stick and just sorta hoping I get within the range of what I need. Seems like seven times out of ten I either pop the ball two feet onto the green or fly it right over the flag and off the other side. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #424
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateTeut
Just picked this game up a couple months ago on PS4 and am really enjoying it. Having a zillion playable courses sure makes for a high replay value. Thanks to all those who put their time in to course create.
We almost have an overabundance of quality courses for this game. The recent introduction of the LiDAR and Overhead Street Map tool by Chad Golf to the PC version designers has upped the ante and enabled a level of accuracy I never thought we'd see.

Quote:
I've become reasonably proficient at driving, at approaches, and at putting, but I just cannot for the life of me figure out how to chip or hit bunker shots from around the greens. I know that in Tiger/Rory you had the ability to use the D-Pad to adjust the 'distance triangle' thing that told you how far you wanted the ball to travel in the air........but unless I'm missing something, is nothing like that available in TGC3? It seems too hard to try and hit a ball at like 65% power.....I have to be like Commander Data or something to figure out when to stop my backswing. So, I just find myself doing the super-quick down/up on the stick and just sorta hoping I get within the range of what I need. Seems like seven times out of ten I either pop the ball two feet onto the green or fly it right over the flag and off the other side. What am I doing wrong?
You've just described the weakest facet of TGC 2019. I find it virtually impossible teo modulate full shots. If I'm able to hit a 90 or 95% full shot, it usually results in a slow downswing tempo that adds carry and slices the ball. I can modulate chip shots to some degree, and to a lesser degree, flop shots from the sand. Pitches? Forget about it; they're as difficult to modulate as full shots.

Sadly, your only recourse is to use the loft box, but that's not always going to allow you to get the shot you want. I'm hoping the swing in the next installment will be more proportional and granular than this one. Even as it is though, I find it to be the most entertaining golf game going, overall.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »