Home

The "New Club" to invade the league (NHL 10 Dynasty)

This is a discussion on The "New Club" to invade the league (NHL 10 Dynasty) within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

OVR: 5
The "New Club" to invade the league (NHL 10 Dynasty)

What This Dynasty Is about:

The upcoming dynasty will begin production on Tuesday, September 15th, 2009. The dynasty will be played under the 'Be a GM' mode and will begin at the NHL Entry Draft. Before the season begins (and the video game is released to the public), there will be several short articles to generate 'hype' and allow for some of the puck heads at Operation Sports to get a chance to preview the dynasty. Due to several individuals who may have chosen teams, my team of choice will be a fictional team, replacing the Phoenix Coyotes. For the record:

• No, the 'owner' in the story will not be Jim Balsillie
  • The team will NOT be located in Hamilton, Ontario
  • Yes, expect a re-vamped team to begin the dynasty.
For the fictional team, I feel there is a need to change. My feelings steam from watching several sports related movies, and how change is a major theme. Major League, The Replacements, Any Given Sunday, Slap Shot, etc. were films that focused on this. Major League brought the Cuban Slugger in Pedro Cerrano (and others), The Replacements made Keanu Reeves tolerable, Any Given Sunday gave Jamie Foxx a nice character, and who can forget the Hanson Brothers from Slap Shot?

There will be several different ways the story will be done. There will be transcripts, as made popular by Kissing Suzy Kolber and Down Goes Brown (for the record, I have a feeling I'll be "borrowing" ideas from them), Newspaper articles, and "blog" posts made by the fictional General Manager and Head Coach of the team (kinda like Pat Quinn in his first four years in Toronto when he did both duties).

I want the dynasty to be realistic, but I also want to add fun.

• For example, with the addition of the Swiss Leagues, it gives me five leagues to pluck "extras" in. I want to pluck one player from each league and add them into the dynasty. Let's remember in The Replacements; Keanu Reeves character was a first round draft selection who was a bust, only to return his career as Shane Falco. So yes, if your curious, one of those players may be players that were "busts" during their time in the NHL. 2-3 will be possible ex-NHLers or AHLers, and one or two will be players who haven't gotten the chance yet (if we remember, we always see several players never make it into the NHL until 30. Jonas Frogren for Toronto last season, and the recent signing of Jonas Gustavsson does show it happens).
  • The "rookie" first round selection will be on the team to begin the season. Rookie stars are always popular, and if their busts, it's funny to poke fun at them when their playing in the Minors or Germany.
  • The Head Coach will be a random former NHL player. He was in NHL 97.
  • No, I won't be "that" guy and put Alexander Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, or any great player on my team.
  • All the trades will happen before the season, and maybe 1 or 2 during the season.
  • I will play 8 AHL games during the season, and they will have a recap. This is like when stations like YES or SNY shows Minor League Baseball Games.
  • Their will be announcers and "prime-time announcers" in transcripts
  • Oh, and you know how the NHL's main partner is Versus? You hate them? So do I. So the "stations" in my dynasty will be as follows:
  • ESPN
  • FSN
  • FOX
  • Yep, it's 1997 nostalgia and glowing pucks. If I believe to have a "prime time" game, there will be a preview for the game to be showing.

That is all. I will be posting new stuff at least everyday (even with school, work, girlfriend, etc.) and I hope you follow. If you do, you will like this dynasty.

- HeroWorship

P.S. If you have never visited Kissing Suzy Kolber or Down Goes Brown, I'd suggest doing so.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
MVP

Bolts_26's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: The "New Club" to invade the league (NHL 10 Dynasty)

Wow, man!

That was a great intro. Can't wait to see what else you do with this.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 9

Dude this is sweeeeeet. Good luck and keep it up!!

R.I.P Paintball BAP and the Mess.
^^^ Check it out for a good read!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 15

LOL downgoesbrown. That guys amazing.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

COYOTES SOLD TO REAL-ESTATE DEVELOPER; TEAM RELOCATION IS "VERY LIKELY"
THE CANADIAN PRESS
4/30/09 10:52 AM EST

Phoenix Coyotes Owners Jerry Moyes and Wayne Gretzky have announced the sale of the Coyotes to Real-Estate Mogul Donald Bellows and hinted the teams likely chances of playing hockey in Glendale next season are “slim to none”.

The sale, which prevented the owners from filing bankruptcy, is expected to be approved by the National Hockey League owners this afternoon after a conference call was scheduled in New York City.

Moyes and Gretzky held a Press Conference at Jobing.com Arena announcing the sale, and answering further questions about the Coyotes.

“We felt the team, with the amount of financial loss, would be better in the hands of someone else with a better vision of the team” Gretzky said to members of the press. “We feel very unfortunate that the fans in Glendale and the greater Phoenix area whom have supported the franchise will be getting the short end of the stick”.

Added Moyes “The city of Glendale have been very supportive of the franchise, with building a brand-new arena for us and helping out however they could. Sadly, we do not have the resources that we once had, and running the franchise is no longer an option”

The Globe and Mail have reported the team lost between $30 to $60 million dollars during the 2008-09 season, and Moyes has lost more than $300 million since joining the team in 1996.

Bellows, whose cousin, Brian, played in the NHL and was a superstar with the Minnesota North Stars, lives in the greater Missouri area, was unable to be reached for comment. Representatives have already issued a statement, that the NHL owners have approved his ownership, and he’ll be scheduling a Press Conference “very shortly”.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Nice...I'll be following.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Looks good. I'm following.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Pro

HeroWorship's Arena

Press Conference Transcript; Donald Bellows
Saturday, 05.02.2009 / 1:32 PM / Phoenix Coyotes
Transcript

New Phoenix Coyotes Owner Donald Bellows has scheduled a Press Conference on May 2nd, 2009, three days after purchasing the club from Wayne Gretzky and Jerry Moyes. The Press Conference will reveal the amount of money he purchased the team for, and the future plans he has for the Coyotes for the 2009-10 season.

The Characters are Bellows, Curtis Adams, Bellows P.R. Man, and a field of reporters who have gathered in Glendale, Arizona for the meeting.

ADAMS: Welcome and thank you all for arriving at the Press Conference of the purchase of the Phoenix Coyotes to Donald Bellows. Bellows will be answering questions for 15 to 20 minutes and will reveal information about the situation and the future plans he has with the organization. Without further a do, here is Mr. Bellows.

*Adams steps off the podium. Bellows emerges from the curtains and steps into the podium. He takes a quick sip of water before beginning*

BELLOWS: Welcome everyone to today’s press conference. I am Donald Bellows. As many of you may know, I am a real-estate developer in the greater Missouri area, and have worked with top athletes who have established their residence in Missouri. I have been a hockey fan for a long time, and when the opportunity of purchasing the Coyotes came, I could not resist the temptation to purchase.

Let’s get the questions rolling:

REPORTER 1: Hello Mr. Bellows, Damion Cox for the Toronto Star. How much did you purchase the franchise for, and what do you make of the comments surrounding Gretzky and Moyes about the team re-locating?

BELLOWS: I made the purchase for roughly $157 million from Gretzky and Moyes. At the moment, we are talking to the city of Glendale and the National Hockey League to find a possible solution that will benefit the NHL, myself, and the city of Glendale.

Right now, the thought of relocation is possible, but we are hoping to find a solution that will give all parties a fair shake and allow for the club to be healthy once the 2009-2010 season begins.

REPORTER 2: Hello, Larry Brooks from the New York Post. Will Wayne Gretzky still have a partnership in the organization and will he be behind the bench for the team in 2009-2010?

BELLOWS: I have talked to Wayne about possibly remaining in the organization in some sort of capacity. However, between discussions and overall talks have occurred, we realized it is in our best interest to push away the old, and in with the new. Sadly, Wayne was part of the old regime, and we want to give the team a fresh new look once the season begins. So Mr. Brooks, Wayne will no longer be a part of the organization.

REPORTER 3: James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail. Is there a chance for relocation to come to Canada and also what will happen to Don Maloney and the potential of Jobing.com Arena?

BELLOWS: Right now, relocation is a possibility, but like stated in the first question, we will be talking with the city and the NHL concerning the issue. It is well known the amount of money the team has loss over the past several years, but the team also has a long-term lease at Jobing.com Arena that must be managed. Also, Mr. Maloney will not be returning to the club.

REPORTER 4: This is Eklund…

BELLOWS: Get out of here.

*security swarm Eklund and throw him out of here*

BELLOWS: Next question.

REPORTER 5: Jim Kelley from Sportsnet, If the team leaves town, where are the locations of the club and what will happen to some of the players?

BELLOWS: I promised not to kiss and tell and the places for relocation will remain quiet. Right now, we don’t expect to have a high budget to begin the season, but with hopeful success that we could increase the budget and plant the grassroots for the team to blossom.

REPORTER 6: Michael Wilbon from the Washington Post, is there a chance your cousin Brian will have a job with the club and also will the team keep the Coyotes nickname if they are to leave town?

BELLOWS: I’ve talked with Brian for the last few days after the sale, and there would be a chance we’d bring him in to help run day-to-day operations. But if you’re suggesting he’d be a head coach, I can say right now no. But I’d like to see Brian come here and help the organization rise up and become Stanley Cup contenders.

Also, on the topic of the nickname is unknown. We may be here once 2009-2010 begins. Even if the chance we’d move the club, we’d have to have discussions with the nickname. And I can honestly say if we move, the Coyotes nickname would be ditched.

REPORTER 7: Howard Berger from the Toronto Sun, how would the lease for Jobing.com Arena have to be negotiated?

BELLOWS: Currently, we’d need to cut down the years and the costs. In order to even be profitable in 2009-10 without the lease agreement, we’d need to spend near the bottom of the cap and win the Stanley Cup and average 16,000 fans per game.

With the city of Glendale building a new building, they will like a tenant inside. However the lease is unacceptable for the club, and needs to be re-done in order if the club were to remain healthy in Phoenix.

REPORTER 8: Sean Leahy from Puck Daddy here. Is there a chance that captain Shane Doan would be moved?

BELLOWS: Currently for reasons, we will not get into discussion about that.

REPORTER 9: Bucky Gleason from the Buffalo News. What may occur to the franchise if they move, and what would replace the Coyotes here?

BELLOWS: If the team we’re to move, we’d suspect that a Minor League franchise would take over and take some games in here.

Obviously, a move would mean having to find a city that has an NHL approved arena and a population big enough to support the franchise. The 2009-10 team of this organization will have a lower budget to work with to compensate for the amount of money I’ve already purchased the franchise for.

One final question…

REPORTER 10: Bob McKenzie from TSN here. Since all the questions have been asked, I’ll ask the one that hasn’t been mentioned. Who will be the play by play and color man?

BELLOWS: All I can confirm is Don Taylor, formerly of Sportsnet, will be the color man and the play by play man is still to be determined.

Thanks everyone for coming out today, and have a wonderful day.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the comments. I hope many of you start dynasties for the newest NHL's and we can have some fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »