Home

The Anchorage Wolverines

This is a discussion on The Anchorage Wolverines within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
The Anchorage Wolverines

Coyotes Sold; NHL Heads To Alaska

After several years of mediocrity in the desert, the Phoenix Coyotes are no longer.

"Its a sad day...not only for the city but the players as well. They enjoyed the fans as well as living in this fine city. I hear I no longer have a job either...so its a tough day", said Coyotes former GM Don Maloney.

Gary Bettman was more optimistic. "We believe that the NHL has a great opportunity heading to Alaska. We all know its an area where hockey is just as much of a religion as it is anywhere in Canada, and now there is an NHL representative. We're very proud of that, today."

Exxon is the buyer of the franchise and the Wolverines will play at the newly built Exxon Center, which seats 18,000.

There is much skepticism around the league as the Alaskan city has a population of 286,000 people, placing it last among other NHL cities by a wide margin, but new team President Dave Swansen feels as though this will work for the good of the franchise.

"We are the only thing going in town!!! I truly believe the city of Anchorage will do a wonderful job supporting its NHL hockey team. If I didn't, I don't think I would have chosen to spend Exxon's money here."

The Anchorage Wolverines will be comprised of the roster of the Phoenix Coyotes, a roster with solid goaltending and a great combination of promising prospects and experienced veterans.

Alaska, welcome to the NHL.

Last edited by onlybygrace; 03-14-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Re: The Anchorage Wolverines

Hi everyone...I'm back at it.

I play every game and on Superstar sliders...hope you enjoy it for what it is because it will only be what it will...

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

NHL Draft Recap

Top Ten Picks

1st F. Obsut NY Islanders
2nd S. Leclaire TB Lightning
3rd B. Ronning COL Avalanche
4th M. Petersen ATL Thrashers
5th R. Loyns LA Kings
6th T. Pollock ANC Wolverines
7th B. Backer TOR Mapleleafs
8th J. Valabik DAL Stars
9th J. Allen OTW Senators
10th K. Gardener EDM Oilers

The Wolverines were able to sign 3 of the 5 players they drafted to NHL Entry Level Contracts. Those players were:

6th Overall Pick, Trevor Pollock (77 OVR), 17 year old Center who stands 6-1, 192 lbs of Canadian decent.

2nd Rd. 36th Overall Pick, Francis Christensen (73 OVR), 19 year old Defensmen who stands 6-3, 195 lbs of Danish decent.

3rd Rd. 96th Overall Pick, Ray Sharrow (72 OVR), 19 year old Defensemen who stands 6-1, 192 lbs and is of American decent

Swiss born Stewart Fahey and American Richard Zhao declined contracts from the Wolverines.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

OVR: 16

OBG - I loved your St.Louis dynasty and I'm looking forward to reading your dynasty.
GLES - USC

Old 03-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Peter the Great Joins Anchorage and NHL Once Again

In a strange twist of events, the upstart Anchorage Wolverines now have a face to the organization that everyone can relate to...

the face of Peter Forsberg.

After spending an extended period of time playing hockey and rehabilitating his ailing body, Forsberg feels that he is ready to play with the big boys once again.

"I feel great. Listen, I don't want to embarass myself as much as the next guy...so you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm ready to go". We'll see, Peter.

Lets be honest, the Wolverines might have made a bad deal here as Foppa had no shortage of injury concerns a couple of years ago, and who knows how bad it could be at the age of 36.

The Wolverines overpayed to get Foppa, giving him a 2 year deal worth 9 million dollars after he was originally looking for a deal worth about 2.5 per season.

"Its what we had to pay to get him here and we are proud to have him and anxious to see what he'll bring to the table," said Wolverines CEO, Dave Swansen.

We'll see. Seems to me the fate of the Wolverines in their first season rests solely on the shoulders of a 'has been' who may well be a shell of his former self.

To make the deal possible, the Wolverines sent C Kevin Porter to ATL for a 3rd round pick.

Last edited by onlybygrace; 03-14-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #6
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENS_AK27
OBG - I loved your St.Louis dynasty and I'm looking forward to reading your dynasty.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
MVP

SENS_AK27's Arena

OVR: 16

I can't wait to see your new team Uniforms.
GLES - USC

Old 03-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Opening Night Lines For Anchorage

LW Shane Doan
C Peter Forsberg
RW Peter Mueller

LW Petr Prucha
C Matthew Lombardi
RW Mikkel Boedker

LW Todd Fedoruk
C Martin Hanzal
RW Enver Lisin

LW Nigel Dawes
C Vernon Fiddler
RW Scott Upshall

D Zbynek Michalek
D Ed Jovanovski

D Dmitri Kalinin
D David Hale

D James Vandermeer
D Kurt Sauer

G Ilya Bryzgalov

G Jason Labarbera

The Wolverines open the season with a three game road trip that opens in Los Angeles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »