Home

Did I make a good deal

This is a discussion on Did I make a good deal within the Madden NFL Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Did I make a good deal

So I started an Offline CFM as the Raiders.
I lost my first game to the Jets and had virtually no offensive production.

After that first game I offered the Cowboys my #3 WR Holmes, my 2015 1st rd pick and my 2016 2nd round pick in exchange for Dez Bryant....and they accepted it!

I have won my next 3 games and my offense is now scoring about 30ppg since the trade.

I feel good about this trade I made...

But I want some feedback if you guys think it was fair and/or smart.

I felt it was fair since Bryant's contract is expiring and its possible he won't resign with Dallas
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Thumbs up Re: Did I make a good deal

Fair, probably... Smart, probably not.

I won't go all out and say it was stupid, because you and only you would know whether or not it is, for you and your team. You've proven it to have helped you and your offense, so far. But I'd still consider it a bit shortsighted. Why?

I will say this; I probably wouldn't have done it for two reasons. 1. I always build toward the future and place a high value on draft picks. & 2. Dez is 26 and WRs really take a stat dive post 30 years old.

So that said, you gave up what could be two Dez's (with 10 good years left in them) in a year or three for one Dez that has about a 4 year shelf life. I understand, most people don't play their CFM for 10 or more seasons, but I do.

So, to summarize, in the short-term, you won out big time. Long term, you'll never get the production from Dez that a 1st and 2nd rounder would end up giving you over the next 10-15 seasons.

I'll give you the benefit of it helping, more than hurting for the next 3 seasons, after that, you'll never be able to trade Dez for a 1st and 2nd rounder, nor will he be as productive as those two picks would/could have been.

Another reason I feel this way, is that I live about 2 hrs from Dallas, and I'm not that big of a Dez Bryant fan. Just not too hot on him. Now, if you said you made that trade for Mike Evans(kids a future stud!), I would have said you won thrice over, hands down.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Rookie

Re: Did I make a good deal

Great analysis
thanks!
Old 11-23-2014, 05:24 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 4
Icon5 Re: Did I make a good deal

Whether the trade is fair or not, that's debatable, but it's certainly not realistic. Dallas are looking to compete for the Super Bowl, and Dez Bryant is a BIG part of that. Jerry Jones would NEVER make that trade for his superstar WR. Bryant is in his prime right now, and Romo needs all the pieces around him he can get. They've got a good thing going now with him and Murray as weapons. As for Holmes, he's done nothing since his Steelers days. He's shot. In terms of Madden 15, there's better WR's sitting in free agency for them to easily sign if they wanted. As for the draft picks, I personally think it'd take more than that for Dallas to deal him (as I highly doubt he'd be on the trading block for anything) considering they want to win now, and future draft picks obviously don't help them with that (especially a 2016 pick). Also, as valuable as draft picks are, they're hit and miss. You're not guaranteed to get a superstar such as Dez. Heck, you're not even guaranteed to get a starter or a quality backup. A lot of them bust. As for you and your team, I think it's a good deal if you're looking to win now. Not many teams can score 30ppg, so you're looking good to make a run.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
Whether the trade is fair or not, that's debatable, but it's certainly not realistic. Dallas are looking to compete for the Super Bowl, and Dez Bryant is a BIG part of that. Jerry Jones would NEVER make that trade for his superstar WR. Bryant is in his prime right now, and Romo needs all the pieces around him he can get. They've got a good thing going now with him and Murray as weapons. As for Holmes, he's done nothing since his Steelers days. He's shot. In terms of Madden 15, there's better WR's sitting in free agency for them to easily sign if they wanted. As for the draft picks, I personally think it'd take more than that for Dallas to deal him (as I highly doubt he'd be on the trading block for anything) considering they want to win now, and future draft picks obviously don't help them with that (especially a 2016 pick). Also, as valuable as draft picks are, they're hit and miss. You're not guaranteed to get a superstar such as Dez. Heck, you're not even guaranteed to get a starter or a quality backup. A lot of them bust. As for you and your team, I think it's a good deal if you're looking to win now. Not many teams can score 30ppg, so you're looking good to make a run.
The bold is why I disagree with the 1st respond. Dez might only have 4 years, but you know you're getting a premiere receiver. You don't know that you're getting that with a draft pick. A 1st round pick doesn't automatically equal a younger Dez Bryant. It could also be A.J. Jenkins.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
The bold is why I disagree with the 1st respond. Dez might only have 4 years, but you know you're getting a premiere receiver. You don't know that you're getting that with a draft pick. A 1st round pick doesn't automatically equal a younger Dez Bryant. It could also be A.J. Jenkins.
Absolutely. The first response (while no disrespect) makes it sound as though the 1st and 2nd round picks are guaranteed to pan out and be very productive players. That's just not the case. Sure, you can hit with those picks, but you can also draft the next Vernon Gholston (1st round bust) or Limas Sweed (2nd round bust). I could go on and on with examples, but point is, you come across a helluva lot more busts and disappointments than you do Dez Bryant's.

Besides, Jones would never trade Bryant. They've stuck by Romo and his ups and downs for how long now? They have unquestioned loyalty towards him. They're not going to sabotage him by trading away his #1 target.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWood56
Not that it's going to completely change your argument...
It's not Santonio Holmes
It's Andre Holmes...3rd year receiver
Old 11-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

wow the CPU lost it's mind....lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Rosters »