Home

Penalty Sliders with Default Difficulty

This is a discussion on Penalty Sliders with Default Difficulty within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2015, 04:12 AM   #1
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8
Penalty Sliders with Default Difficulty

Still going back and forth between tweaking All Pro sliders to get something consistantly difficult but not impossible (like All Madden) for me. I've seen some people suggest tweaking the penalty sliders while using default skill sliders for All Pro or All Madden. I have never touched penalty sliders, because I don't really understand how that affects the gameplay otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for penalty sliders with default skill sliders (or skill sliders near default)?

Obviously, all the slider sets here have their own penalty sliders, but I'm assuming those are tweaked for their individual slider sets, not default skill sets.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: Penalty Sliders with Default Difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Still going back and forth between tweaking All Pro sliders to get something consistantly difficult but not impossible (like All Madden) for me. I've seen some people suggest tweaking the penalty sliders while using default skill sliders for All Pro or All Madden. I have never touched penalty sliders, because I don't really understand how that affects the gameplay otherwise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for penalty sliders with default skill sliders (or skill sliders near default)?

Obviously, all the slider sets here have their own penalty sliders, but I'm assuming those are tweaked for their individual slider sets, not default skill sets.
Here's what I have penalty wise. The first value is the setting in my main profile outside of CFM, and the second value is the value inside my CFM.

Offside: 55/60
False Start: 55/60
Holding: 45/56
Defensive Holding: 55/56
Face Mask: 55/55
DPI: 55/60
Block: 50/53
Roughing: 50/53

You can move in increments of 5 in the main profile, but can move in increments of 1 in the CFM menu.

KingV2K3 came up with the concept of staggering these values, with the understanding that you could get the game to play out differently animation-wise by combining these values in different ways without actually triggering significant increases in penalty calls.

Through experimentation, I settled on two very important penalties for animations and game play: DPI and Defensive Holding.

DPI at higher values produces tighter man coverage animations, meaning your LB or DB will have a smaller trail radius in man coverage the higher you go. Values above 60 tend to nerf the HUM screen game due to overly hot pursuit.

DPI is important because at default, there's too much separation between defenders and receivers in man coverage, resulting in too many completions, unrealistic animations, and too many yards for the CPU on certain routes.

Defensive holding is similar but distinct. With a value of 56, you'll see a little more hand fighting between WR and DBs, and you'll see really good press corners totally stymie a WR from time to time. You'll also see more off target throws by both the HUM and CPU because something about this slider throws off the timing of passing routes and throws off the general accuracy of QBs, which is too hight at default.

By adjusting these two penalty sliders, you can minimize a couple of annoying features of default game play, namely the looseness and general ineffectiveness of man coverage and the unrealistic accuracy of QBs on short and intermediate throws.

Last edited by RogueHominid; 12-15-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Here's what I haveHere's what I have penalty wise. The first value is the setting in my main profile outside of CFM, and the second value is the value inside my CFM.

Offside: 55/60
False Start: 55/60
Holding: 45/56
Defensive Holding: 55/56
Face Mask: 55/55
DPI: 55/60
Block: 50/53
Roughing: 50/53

You can move in increments of 5 in the main profile, but can move in increments of 1 in the CFM menu.

KingV2K3 came up with the concept of staggering these values, with the understanding that you could get the game to play out differently animation-wise by combining these values in different ways without actually triggering significant increases in penalty calls.

Through experimentation, I settled on two very important penalties for animations and game play: DPI and Defensive Holding.

DPI at higher values produces tighter man coverage animations, meaning your LB or DB will have a smaller trail radius in man coverage the higher you go. Values above 60 tend to nerf the HUM screen game due to overly hot pursuit.

DPI is important because at default, there's too much separation between defenders and receives in man coverage, resulting in too many completions, unrealistic animations, and too many yards for the CPU on certain routes.

Defensive holding is similar but distinct. With a value of 56, you'll see a little more hand fighting between WR and DBs, and you'll see really good press corners totally stymie a WR from time to time. You'll also see more off target throws by both the HUM and CPU because something about this slider throws off the timing of passing routes and throws off the general accuracy of QBs, which is too hight at default.

By adjusting these two penalty sliders, you can minimize a couple of annoying features of default game play, namely the looseness and general ineffectiveness of man coverage and the unrealistic accuracy of QBs on short and intermediate throws.
That is almost exactly what I have settled on for my penalty sliders, but I took it a little pit farther and changed a couple of the game play sliders.

I upped offensive holding to 60, was seeing too many sacks on the CPU during play action passes(yes I think the PAs are not working as they should and the d linemen sometimes get a free release). This allows the offensive linemen to be a little more stickier with their blocks, a good and a bad thing.

Too counter that adjustment, I lowered user run block to 45 and pass block to 20. Lowering pass block that lower makes user throws more inaccurate, even when not getting pressured, KingV told me too do it and he knows all.

I raised CPU run block to 55 to get the CPU running a little better, especially in goalline situatoins. Also I swear that somehow made the CPU running backs more shifty and decisive.

I would find a good base and adjust from there. However be careful and adjust one thing at a time, cause the game play sliders effect aspects that make no sense.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerkontheOS
However be careful and adjust one thing at a time, cause the game play sliders effect aspects that make no sense.
Experimenting with Defensive Holding to modify the positive results of increasing DPI proves this point. King theorized that the Defensive Holding slider would likely be the best one to start with when trying to reduce QB accuracy, which was the only aspect of his final set that was still off.

But what neither he nor I could have anticipated was HOW this slider would bring about the desired results.

You might think that you'd see more defensive holding with this slider, but you don't, not even in the animations (as opposed to the penalty calls). You see more hand fighting, but it looks very realistic, and you see more of the route-chucking by underneath coverage that you see in real life. But the increase passing difficulty doesn't come directly or solely from those interactions. Somehow this slider adjust the timing between QB and receiver to make it harder to get the ideal timing and placement on each throw. Receivers are forced to make more athletic adjustments to the ball in flight, which not everyone can do, and so you get more incompletions. You also get more incompletions from QBs just sailing the ball because they mis-timed their throw with the route (and this happens even on routes where there's no chuck animation).

So the end result is that this slider does something invisible to QB timing and produces less completions (but not more picks!) and therefore lower percentages. But it does so in a surprising way.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Experimenting with Defensive Holding to modify the positive results of increasing DPI proves this point. King theorized that the Defensive Holding slider would likely be the best one to start with when trying to reduce QB accuracy, which was the only aspect of his final set that was still off.

But what neither he nor I could have anticipated was HOW this slider would bring about the desired results.

You might think that you'd see more defensive holding with this slider, but you don't, not even in the animations (as opposed to the penalty calls). You see more hand fighting, but it looks very realistic, and you see more of the route-chucking by underneath coverage that you see in real life. But the increase passing difficulty doesn't come directly or solely from those interactions. Somehow this slider adjust the timing between QB and receiver to make it harder to get the ideal timing and placement on each throw. Receivers are forced to make more athletic adjustments to the ball in flight, which not everyone can do, and so you get more incompletions. You also get more incompletions from QBs just sailing the ball because they mis-timed their throw with the route (and this happens even on routes where there's no chuck animation).

So the end result is that this slider does something invisible to QB timing and produces less completions (but not more picks!) and therefore lower percentages. But it does so in a surprising way.
Yes! this is what I have noticed a lot more of in the last two games.

Last game Kaep over threw, high, a wide open TE on a drag right into the arms of a safety.

EDIT: Before that was a completion 99% of the time. I also think stuff like this relates to why most people are seeing too many plays for their offense and not enough for the CPU, completed easy throws for 1st downs or being in more manageable situations on 3rd down because of easier throws.

Last edited by DerkontheOS; 12-15-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

What if you don't believe penalty sliders affect gameplay and just want accurate penalty numbers?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
What if you don't believe penalty sliders affect gameplay and just want accurate penalty numbers?

I still get a good amount of penalties with those sliders.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium

Then test a bunch of values and post the results!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »