Home

Madden 15's Most Fundamental Flaws

This is a discussion on Madden 15's Most Fundamental Flaws within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
Go Pack Go!!

NateDogPack12's Arena

OVR: 0
Madden 15's Most Fundamental Flaws

I haven't followed the Operation Sports discussions as in years past, but these are my thoughts after a year of '15, posted here for your feedback.

Madden 15 forces me to choose between important factors that make my Connected Franchise fun.

Gameplay is flawed such that I can never create an authentic experience that provides realistic outcomes and statistics. The game is either too easy such that I win every game, or too hard such that I lose excessively. I can't replicate realistic injuries in-game, as offensive lineman never get hurt and skill position players sometimes are hurt far too often.

The Super Sim mechanism is flawed such that it can't be used to accommodate for this. It's impossible to achieve realistic statistics. The flawed mechanics of both gameplay and super sim mitigate any creative effort to combine the two to offset their flaws - like playing offense and dimming defense.

The best way to create realistic outcomes is the pure sim engine, but then you don't get the personal experience with your team. You can't achieve break out performances with young players and you can't ensure proper rotations and / or playing time.

On the field, the CPU AI still feels impotent and lackadaisical on the offensive side. I don't have to fear guys like Russell Wilson rolling out or breaking off a big run. I'm able to rack up huge sack totals even on highest difficulty, and it's ridiculous that there are no back shoulder throws, and deep streaks are easily intercepted too often due to weak ball placement.

We are still limited via not having formation subs and even within the game, substitutions do not suffice. A prime example of this is in Green Bay, where its impossible to put Randall Cobb into the backfield on occasion just as the Packers do.

To me, these are the most fundamental issues. I know others have additional grievances, but rectifying these would go such a long way to making Madden prolific.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Re: Madden 15's Most Fundamental Flaws

Agree with almost all of this, especially about formation subs and throw accuracy on deep streaks, but a couple of things:

- I find AI mobile QBs run enough to where I sometimes have to call QB spy/contain on every play. I have to do this against Manziel/Newton, and even some drafted (CPU generated) players. They don't run nearly as much or as effectively as a user, of course, but I don't think that would be desirable.

- The best way to get your WR into the action as HB is to find the formations that allow it with formation subs. From a previous thread, it seems Shotgun Trips and Pistol Full House will allow you to put a WR at HB
Old 06-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyPirates
Agree with almost all of this, especially about formation subs and throw accuracy on deep streaks, but a couple of things:

- I find AI mobile QBs run enough to where I sometimes have to call QB spy/contain on every play. I have to do this against Manziel/Newton, and even some drafted (CPU generated) players. They don't run nearly as much or as effectively as a user, of course, but I don't think that would be desirable.

- The best way to get your WR into the action as HB is to find the formations that allow it with formation subs. From a previous thread, it seems Shotgun Trips and Pistol Full House will allow you to put a WR at HB
When people say they want formation subs they mean where in CFM you can set the formations outside of being in-game right? Formation subs are in the playcalling screens in-game, just not in the menu system. I'm just wondering how many people actually know that because I know I didn't until recently.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
When people say they want formation subs they mean where in CFM you can set the formations outside of being in-game right? Formation subs are in the playcalling screens in-game, just not in the menu system. I'm just wondering how many people actually know that because I know I didn't until recently.
Yes, people want to be able to set these outside of the game so the subs happen each game. Otherwise you have to make the changes every game which is tedious to say the least.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #5
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Quote:
Right, and I agree 100% with this--I used to obsessively change special teams formation subs on previous iterations of the game. But I'm just pointing out that if someone is just interested in putting their WR at HB, it's pretty easy to do with the in-game system IF you're willing to use certain formations.

The main thing for me is needing a way to put blocking TEs into goal line packages, and a way to take those pesky 180 lb WRs out of kick coverage teams...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

The single most fundamental flaw Madden has is simple, and I will cite NBA 2K's Da Czar on this. In some of his videos he ends the clip by saying "remember, don't play video games, play basketball"

Madden is too occupied making a fun video game. That is their top priority.

They should make creating a good NFL game priority number 1. If they do that I think the rest falls into place.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
The single most fundamental flaw Madden has is simple, and I will cite NBA 2K's Da Czar on this. In some of his videos he ends the clip by saying "remember, don't play video games, play basketball"

Madden is too occupied making a fun video game. That is their top priority.

They should make creating a good NFL game priority number 1. If they do that I think the rest falls into place.
Looking forward to discussing this more once the E3 reveal happens.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
MVP

MajorSupreme's Arena

Quote:
Looking forward to discussing this more once the E3 reveal happens.
Come on man, you keep saying this like they're gonna drop the equivalent of an atomic bomb in sports gaming. Jeez.

One of my many gripes is the lack of atmosphere during games, specifically in CFM. I don't care about stat banners, standings banners and all that crap. Like many have said, it feels like a series of exhibition games with some generic stat overlays (that most times are broken) and redundant situation commentary. Same intro sequences before games of the coach talking to the players and the QBs tossing the ball around, same outro sequences after games. I really liked the intros for primetime games in Madden 25, same with Madden 13. They were new and added some substance. But man, commentary is horribly bland and the crowds and sidelines have no life. There are other games that will remain unnamed for topic sake that have real living worlds: Crowds emptying during blowouts, sidelines going insane of big plays, etc. None of this is in Madden at the moment. Atmosphere goes a long way in enjoying the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »