Home

Anyone remembers "fairplay"???

This is a discussion on Anyone remembers "fairplay"??? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2015, 02:10 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone remembers "fairplay"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Yep totally agree. Get the gameplay right (and I think it can get there) and it solves a lot of issues. Will all issues be reolved? I doubt it. I just expect them to keep trying and not spend time on covering them up.
To me fairplay was one of many bandaids the game had to compensate for bad programming. The less bandaids the better.

With that said... Until the game gets to that point I have zero issues having a system in place for commish settings or online lobbies set certain ways.

Just my .02

No matter how right they get the gameplay down there are always people who are going to go for 4th downs on their own side of the field. That's just how it is. With fairplay, if done right it can/wil provide a more sim style approach to the game of football. Like I said we should have separate lobbies and make it optional for ppl who wants to play that style cause I'm sick of rage quitters who don't convert on 4 and forever on their own 25 after getting blown out due to giving up great field position by going for these dumb 4th downs. These people can go play in their own lobbies.

Last edited by da206gamer; 06-21-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Anyone remembers "fairp lay &amp ;amp;amp ;am

I think with ideas like FairPlay, the heart is in the right place.

Unfortunately, with football, I don't think there's a one size fits all approach to this kind of stuff. So many different contextual decisions need to be made during the course of a football game, one decision to go for it on 4th is entirely different from another decision to go for it on 4th.

Sim is such a subjective term it's hard to have one hard set rule for every aspect that everyone will agree with. I've seen an NFL team lint the ball up by 3 with 3 minutes left in the game in their opponents 32 yard line, and I've seen teams go for it in that situation as well. It's tough.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #11
Rookie

VirtualAthlete's Arena

Yes I remember those settings! They would make the game more simulation like, however I don't think that's what EA really wants even though they say they are aiming for a sim game.Honesty nothing about competitive Madden is sim like!All you have to do is watch the way Zfarls and Sgibbs play the game.Its very dissapointing to see 99% of the top gamers use glitches and exploits or totally unrealistic strategy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2015, 03:52 PM   #12
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Sorry OP, but theres one key thing about this idea that makes it a total roadblock and i dont ever see EA bringing . The reason, giving us more options.Seems to be the opposite of what they strive to do really. I really like the ideas you have . With them focusing CFM on trying to bring in the casuals , to me giving options is more important than ever. I dont mind if they want to cater to casuals to get them to play cfm IF i as commish have options to turn off the stuff they use to appeal to casuals that our league doesnt want to use or see. Same should work for the casuals as well , give players options to play the game how they prefer. Again though , that requires options, which we probably wont ever see this generation.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 06-23-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
Run After Catch

OVR: 13
Re: Anyone remembers "fairp lay &amp ;amp;amp ;a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
I think with ideas like FairPlay, the heart is in the right place.

Unfortunately, with football, I don't think there's a one size fits all approach to this kind of stuff. So many different contextual decisions need to be made during the course of a football game, one decision to go for it on 4th is entirely different from another decision to go for it on 4th.

Sim is such a subjective term it's hard to have one hard set rule for every aspect that everyone will agree with. I've seen an NFL team lint the ball up by 3 with 3 minutes left in the game in their opponents 32 yard line, and I've seen teams go for it in that situation as well. It's tough.
That's my issue with it as well. I do like the notion of encouraging people to play in a way that's consistent with reality as opposed to exploiting the game to the point where it doesn't resemble football.

At the same time, the past implementation of Fair Play breaks the rules of football. Limiting someone to the point where they can't make the same decisions an NFL coach can doesn't make me feel like it's closer to a simulation. There's got to be a better way to incentivize giving opponents a good experience.

Fair Play wouldn't stop me from playing or enjoying Madden. I just don't know that it truly solves the problem.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
Rookie

Branchurian's Arena

I remember in 2K and All Pro it was a spectacular feat to be able to convert a 4th down. Literally had to put all of yourself in the play to be succesful, if you kept going down the field like an idiot eventually your luck would run out and cost you big time! Ppl were encourage to punt because in that game field position was so integral. The AI in that game was much better too, your teammates played as well as you did (or bad, depended on your skills) and wouldn't fall for all the stupid **** madden AI teammates constantly fall for. When I had Madden 15, ppl march down the field playing 4 down ball and kicked onsides like thats what they see on sundays. They have to make their gameplay better and their AI football competent to see a change. I expect 16 to be the same mockery as it's predecessors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »