Home

Madden needs to replace goals with OTAs, Training camp, and weekly Practice.

This is a discussion on Madden needs to replace goals with OTAs, Training camp, and weekly Practice. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0
Madden needs to replace goals with OTAs, Training camp, and weekly Practice.

Instead of the spam-inducing goal system and game prep system, Madden should have two off-season mini-game series (like Madden 05-07 or so had on PS2/XBox), and practice during the season.

Off-season should go Re-sign (1 advance), Free Agency (3 advances), Draft, OTAs (1-3 advances: teams usually have three 3 day periods in the NFL), Training Camp (2 advances- teams usually have 2 weeks between the start of training camp and the preseason), Preseason.

During the OTAs player position changes should be allowed.

OTAs: Here is where you should have a few options to do position drills. Maybe you get three per advance, but the payoffs have to be higher than what we have now every week, because we're replacing 16 with 3-9, and they should include team specific options instead of positions, whereby exp would be spread around more uniformly (although individuals wouldn't get as much). Since it's OTAs, the emphasis should be on position skills and physical skills. This should be when players get stronger or quicker, and etc.

Training Camp: Similar to OTAs, but since it's training camp, the reward should be directed toward position skills, awareness, play recognition and confidence. The most important thing to do here is improve positional skills

Practice: Each week you should get some options for practice. But now that we're in the regular season, players aren't going to be working on explosiveness or strength. They'll be working on studying the opponent, so the payoff should strictly be awareness, and play recognition and confidence. As Colin Kaepernick remarked earlier in the year, when you're in the season you're not going to work on your release, because you don't have time- you have the next opponent to worry about.

First, this would add a bunch of immersion while removing a bunch of tediousness unrelated to football. Second, it would actually be fun to do, whereas cycling through position drill titles and pressing a button is the epitome of tedium and boredom. Third, it brings managing your team closer to reality.

What do you think? Would this be an upgrade? I'm of the opinion it would be a MASSIVE upgrade.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 07-11-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Madden needs to replace goals with OTAs, Training camp, and weekly Practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
First, this would add a bunch of immersion while removing a bunch of tediousness unrelated to football. Second, it would actually be fun to do, whereas cycling through position drill titles and pressing a button is the epitome of tedium and boredom. Third, it brings managing your team closer to reality.

What do you think? Would this be an upgrade? I'm of the opinion it would be a MASSIVE upgrade.
What tedium are you removing, you're adding a bunch of offseason minigames (and assuming they'll be fun and not tedious themselves)? I'd like some of that too, sure... but I don't see you actually removing anything, just using some goals and stat banners as a reason to propose offseason mini-games.

I just don't see 'get a first down' and 'score this drive' as tedium and are absolutely related to football.

I find myself playing preseason to be able to play w/ my newly acquired free agencts and draft picks (many of whom aren't starters), I'm all for more activities (like the new practice) that let me do that outside of a game.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #3
MVP

Re: Madden needs to replace goals with OTAs, Training camp, and weekly Practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
What tedium are you removing, you're adding a bunch of offseason minigames (and assuming they'll be fun and not tedious themselves)? I'd like some of that too, sure... but I don't see you actually removing anything, just using some goals and stat banners as a reason to propose offseason mini-games.

I just don't see 'get a first down' and 'score this drive' as tedium and are absolutely related to football.

I find myself playing preseason to be able to play w/ my newly acquired free agencts and draft picks (many of whom aren't starters), I'm all for more activities (like the new practice) that let me do that outside of a game.
I'm refereing to game prep. I guess I screwed up with my title. Goals could actually remain. But game prep is complete tedium. I say, take it out and replace it with two offseason step, and maybe a practice option (not really needed). Game prep as it stands now is complete rpg stuff, and what's worse, it's basically grinding. You habe to go through a bunch of activity menues to select the position, and you have to do it every advance. It just isn't fun.

If they pulled that out and replaced it with a couple off season stages, things would be far more efficient and fun.

Last edited by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞; 07-11-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:17 AM   #4
Banned

I haven't played Franchise mode in Madden since Madden 05 on the PS2 and I refuse to play it until they add Training Camp back with practice uniforms, I totally agree with the OP.

Last edited by Mr.Smif; 07-11-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:20 AM   #5
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I'm refereing to game prep. I guess I screwed up with my title. Goals could actually remain. But game prep is complete tedium. I say, take it out and replace it with two offseason step, and maybe a practice option (not really needed). Game prep as it stands now is complete rpg stuff, and what's worse, it's basically grinding. You habe to go through a bunch of activity menues to select the position, and you have to do it every advance. It just isn't fun.

If they pulled that out and replaced it with a couple off season stages, things would be far more efficient and fun.
Then we are in agreement. I like the idea of game prep, just rarely bother.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

I don't see a relation between goals/game prep and these other modes you want added in. To me they are completely different subjects entirely. I would love to see OTA's and some form of training camp added in but that would have little to do with goals/game prep. For goals/game prep I would like to see real life contracts (many of which have player goals tied in to them), instead of game prep I would like to see a real life game prep where you have to scout and gameplan for your upcoming opponent week to week. Actually pick the 25-30 plays you expect to run in that game.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #7
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

I like the idea, but it would result in the same thing I feel.

Maybe a team chemistry rating, and auto progression based on a performance rating system (see FIFA Match Ratings) that would determine who's doing well, who's not, and the game would auto progress from there?
Old 07-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
I like the idea, but it would result in the same thing I feel.

Maybe a team chemistry rating, and auto progression based on a performance rating system (see FIFA Match Ratings) that would determine who's doing well, who's not, and the game would auto progress from there?
There could be both. The autoprogression could work more on skills, while the OTAs could be more centered on physical development. Of course, confidence kind of does what autoprogression used to anyway.

What I'm getting at is an actual gameplay thing, but make it of value in terms of improving your team. Like in Madden 05-07, where you road the Madden bus to do various drills. Except this would be OTAs and Training Camp.

Why do it at all? First, it adds immersion, and second, the current method of improving players is pure rpg tedium, and third, doing two or three drills per season is far less boringness than doing 16 text simulations where you scroll through randomly generated position drill menus.

An option to sim would obviously be there, but there are far more positives than negatives, and in terms of getting Madden to be like the NFL, this would be a big step.

The main problem with autoprogression is that the user has no control, so if it's the ONLY way to improve players, I'd rather not have it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »