Home

Pass Defense. I Need Help

This is a discussion on Pass Defense. I Need Help within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Pass Defense. I Need Help

Every time I call a man, somebody gets beat. Every time I call zone, somebody is wide open. Every time I blitz, it gets picked up. I know this has probably been posted before, but can somebody please help? I'm getting destroyed every time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Pass Defense. I Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bob
Every time I call a man, somebody gets beat. Every time I call zone, somebody is wide open. Every time I blitz, it gets picked up. I know this has probably been posted before, but can somebody please help? I'm getting destroyed every time
You need to identify the specific routes that give you the most trouble before guys can give you advice. Also, are we referring to CPU or vs users?

In the meantime learning to cover manually with a LB/S does wonders once you get good at it.

There is no ''one'' defense that can cover it all so to speak.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 06-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Just started!

56aceindaplace's Arena

Hey guys, I am new to the site. I read the forums all the time and decided to join. I've played Madden since 2004, Ps2 days. I play solo CFM with my Titans vs the CPU. The last few Madden though have been pretty bad in terms of fairness and realism. I have looked like crazy for sliders. Penalty sliders supposedly effect the game, so do auto subs but nothing I have found has fixed the issues.

I have always been good at offense. Never a problem. Defense I'm solid and I make adjustments to slow down users. But when it comes to the CPU , I can't stop nothing. And I'm not ok with that. Now I don't mind losing. If I'm outplayed I get it. But the CPU cheats and manipulates the game so much it feels like I have to get whored out of a win to lose.

Now I will list the things I notice when playing, maybe I can speak for others when I list these. And when whoever reads them, can tell me maybe what sliders or adjustments I would need to make to minimize them. That would be awesome. I am always willing to listen to those who have solved it or maybe simply are better than me.

BTW for the record.

Solo CFM mode. With Titans. Year 2. ( I simulated year 1 )
I play balanced offense with a attacking 3-4 defense.
I have picked up some solid players to have a good defense. ( defense is already good to begin with IRL )
Play on all pro or all madden

Problems I've had.

____ & inches - everytime I pick up enough for a 1st down, the state tracker will say how much I gained ( if it's 3rd and 8 , I pick up 8 yards with a wr ) it will say 4th and inches EVERY TIME. If it's the CPU it's never a doubt it's a 1st down always. I have to go for it so much because I got robbed a spot.

Unfair flipped advantages - If the cpu is on defense, their linebackers will shove many of my tightends or wide receivers ( beyond 5 yards ) and when I throw it's either a pick or a overthrown ball. Why is that allowed? That's pass interference at its finest but never gets called.

Another one is how their defense responds. They move, they play zones perfectly. On my defense, my guys stop moving. They don't follow the cpu they just stand there. I can't figure out that at all. I mix up play calls on defense but it doesn't matter. I called cover 3 and someone will be wide open in the middle because the players don't follow or move. Cover 3 is the best defense for covering the middle. Has been for years, so I know I call that right. Preplay adjustments such as over the top, inside , etc doesn't make a difference.

Every tackle the cpu makes I can never break, I always get pushed back or shoved down asap. I notice this trend. If I'm trying to get to the 1st down marker or endzone, I always get stopped short because I get cheated out of any animations from my controller. Such as trucking, stiff arm etc. Nothing will work when I mash or softly press those buttons. On the flip side, in the same scenario, the cpu always breaks tackles or gets brought down FORWARD. To pick up more yards or get the TD or 1st down. EVERY TIME.

I understand it happening SOMETIMES. Because in real life some times a RB over powers to get in endzone and sometimes he's stopped short. But not at the clear advantage to the cpu 10/10 times..

One more thing I notice is the passing on my side. If I have a WIDE OPEN DRAG and I throw it with no one around him, doesn't matter how I pass it, bullet, lob medium touch, leading, not leading, my WR will take FOREVER to catch it and then quicksand it to move up field. Doesn't matter who it is, a fast wr or a big tightend. The game will make him do a unessacary animation to catch it just so I can get caught. The cpu WRS will catch it and take off and out run my faster cbs.

Those are the main ones I don't want it to turn into a total bich fest. I have played this game for a long time. I have played football in real life. I figure i know how to adjust and stop an offense or slow it down. But this year the game just makes it seem like u dont. So if anybody can lend advice as to how to adjust or maybe come up with sliders or penalty slider adjustments to help it be realistic I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:10 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56aceindaplace
Hey guys, I am new to the site. I read the forums all the time and decided to join. I've played Madden since 2004, Ps2 days. I play solo CFM with my Titans vs the CPU. The last few Madden though have been pretty bad in terms of fairness and realism. I have looked like crazy for sliders. Penalty sliders supposedly effect the game, so do auto subs but nothing I have found has fixed the issues.

I have always been good at offense. Never a problem. Defense I'm solid and I make adjustments to slow down users. But when it comes to the CPU , I can't stop nothing. And I'm not ok with that. Now I don't mind losing. If I'm outplayed I get it. But the CPU cheats and manipulates the game so much it feels like I have to get whored out of a win to lose.

Now I will list the things I notice when playing, maybe I can speak for others when I list these. And when whoever reads them, can tell me maybe what sliders or adjustments I would need to make to minimize them. That would be awesome. I am always willing to listen to those who have solved it or maybe simply are better than me.

BTW for the record.

Solo CFM mode. With Titans. Year 2. ( I simulated year 1 )
I play balanced offense with a attacking 3-4 defense.
I have picked up some solid players to have a good defense. ( defense is already good to begin with IRL )
Play on all pro or all madden

Problems I've had.

____ & inches - everytime I pick up enough for a 1st down, the state tracker will say how much I gained ( if it's 3rd and 8 , I pick up 8 yards with a wr ) it will say 4th and inches EVERY TIME. If it's the CPU it's never a doubt it's a 1st down always. I have to go for it so much because I got robbed a spot.

Unfair flipped advantages - If the cpu is on defense, their linebackers will shove many of my tightends or wide receivers ( beyond 5 yards ) and when I throw it's either a pick or a overthrown ball. Why is that allowed? That's pass interference at its finest but never gets called.

Another one is how their defense responds. They move, they play zones perfectly. On my defense, my guys stop moving. They don't follow the cpu they just stand there. I can't figure out that at all. I mix up play calls on defense but it doesn't matter. I called cover 3 and someone will be wide open in the middle because the players don't follow or move. Cover 3 is the best defense for covering the middle. Has been for years, so I know I call that right. Preplay adjustments such as over the top, inside , etc doesn't make a difference.

Every tackle the cpu makes I can never break, I always get pushed back or shoved down asap. I notice this trend. If I'm trying to get to the 1st down marker or endzone, I always get stopped short because I get cheated out of any animations from my controller. Such as trucking, stiff arm etc. Nothing will work when I mash or softly press those buttons. On the flip side, in the same scenario, the cpu always breaks tackles or gets brought down FORWARD. To pick up more yards or get the TD or 1st down. EVERY TIME.

I understand it happening SOMETIMES. Because in real life some times a RB over powers to get in endzone and sometimes he's stopped short. But not at the clear advantage to the cpu 10/10 times..

One more thing I notice is the passing on my side. If I have a WIDE OPEN DRAG and I throw it with no one around him, doesn't matter how I pass it, bullet, lob medium touch, leading, not leading, my WR will take FOREVER to catch it and then quicksand it to move up field. Doesn't matter who it is, a fast wr or a big tightend. The game will make him do a unessacary animation to catch it just so I can get caught. The cpu WRS will catch it and take off and out run my faster cbs.

Those are the main ones I don't want it to turn into a total bich fest. I have played this game for a long time. I have played football in real life. I figure i know how to adjust and stop an offense or slow it down. But this year the game just makes it seem like u dont. So if anybody can lend advice as to how to adjust or maybe come up with sliders or penalty slider adjustments to help it be realistic I would greatly appreciate it.
Gotta be more gentle with that left stick.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #5
Rookie

cooper417's Arena

"Penalty sliders supposedly effect the game, so do auto subs but nothing I have found has fixed the issues."

Well to add to the above, auto subs haven't worked for a few years.
For M16 penalty sliders do NOT affect the gameplay. It did in M15 but not this year.

Playing the CPU for me hasn't been very fun in years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Rookie

I've found playing on All-Pro to mitigate some of the problems with the "unfair" CPU stuff, however the OP was talking about stopping the CPU passing game, which is a very fair question.

First I'd like to see that I also have run both 4-3 and 3-4, man and zone have managed to have varying degrees of success with both. The most important thing when stopping the pass game is to know when the offense is going to pass and to call your plays accordingly. That not only means knowing your down and distance but also the type of offense you're going against.

For example, I've found the Eagles and Bills will try to pound the ball almost every play so I can stack the box and only worry about passing plays on 3rd down. The Packers are different and will try to "spread and shred" you. That is a little more complicated.

What I suggest is to get consistent with your play calls. Get comfortable with your playbook and the responsibilities of all your players on the field, that way you can start to better isolate the problem. That may mean picking Man or Zone (or another scheme) until you gather the pieces to try something a little more exotic. If you have linebackers good in coverage, try blitzing them less and try some DB blitzes instead. If you have athletic lineman you can take advantage of some of the more fun zone blitz plays which can really mess with an offense. I think you get the idea, had your strengths, and force the offense to take them head on.

Secondly, mix up the plays. I've noticed that if blitzes are continuously called at higher difficulties the CPU will pick up on that and start killing your D. That being said, play to your strengths until you make your own niche and your players have a well-defined skill set.

If you're getting beat by the TE corner routes and seams (as I was constantly), start playing the LB responsible for the TE more often and watch those areas where you're getting beat. The CPU doesn't defend the middle well, but with a bit of practice, you can get better at covering the TE and stopping the CPU's 'automatic' 1st down plays. If you're getting beat over the top (streak/fly routes) try calling more plays where the CBs have safety help. Smaller CBs will get outjumped often, but it happens much less often when there are two defenders in the area (tip drill picks will occur more often as well).

Hope you find this useful.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »