Home

does catching help defensive backs?

This is a discussion on does catching help defensive backs? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
Rookie

elchristo's Arena

OVR: 0

does it make any sense to put XP into catching for defensive backs, does it improve interceptions at all or what because the explanation on the game says it helps catching not interceptions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Re: does catching help defensive backs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchristo
does it make any sense to put XP into catching for defensive backs, does it improve interceptions at all or what because the explanation on the game says it helps catching not interceptions

Yes

Can't intercept a pass if you can't catch it
Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I have a theory that the catch rating helps bring a defender closer to a receiver when the ball is thrown.

But I also believe that the Madden ratings are more complex in that, if a player is lacking in one area, a higher rating in another area helps to balance them out, or make them good by other means.

Example: a young speed player with agility may lack in man and zone cover, but that speed helps to cover where he is lacking; on the other side, a veteran who has lost a step has high zone and man, so they are in position and do not require the speed. Ultimately, the outcome can be the same; a coverage that works for the defense.

I believe the complexity of the rating systems makes it more difficult for EA/Tib to come out and say that one rating, for sure, will result in "X." Because I believe "X" can be concluded through many different paths.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Yes

Can't intercept a pass if you can't catch it

I don’t think it’s as simple as that because I have Rishard Robinson it’s 54 catching who has 6 picks in week 8 and jalen Ramsey who’s catching I’ve upgraded I above 80 and he only has 3 picks.

The thing is they both have really close passes defensed with 13 and 14 respectively. And they both drop easy picks from time to time. Clearly Ramsey is the better player but I’ve had this same team for 3 years in this current franchise and they were my same duo back in my first franchise. I think the biggest thing is who gets the better animation because Ramsey is always covering their number 1 and Robinson their number 2

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
Rookie

In theory, a DB with a high catch rating should have a better chance in making INTs but I somehow suspect that it only works on paper... kind of like QB awareness rating. If I am controlling my QB, where will I see the difference between a QB awareness rating of 12 vs a QB rating of 99?

I supposed you can try to argue that the awareness affects the QB's ability to sense pressure, but if that's the case, then what is the 'sense pressure' attribute for?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchristo

It does. 80 is maximum threshold for catching when we are talking about players on the defensive side of the ball. So there is no difference between a 99 and 80 catching for your DB's. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »