Home

Madden 20 Defense Issue.

This is a discussion on Madden 20 Defense Issue. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2020, 02:21 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Madden 20 Defense Issue.

Human side AI Defense is so horrible in Madden 20. Like when every I play quarter flats, cloud flats or hard flats in cover 3, cover 4, or cover 2. My dbs/CBS/linebackers don't react at all and the ball just goes over their heads, just to let the cpu receivers catch and run for yrds and or TDS. Almost every team's QB, I versus always has a damn-near perfect passer rating because of this.

Even when I try switch to my DB/corner and try to play the ball or the receiver, I still give up yards.
I mostly user the linebacker.

I have tried defensive adjustments play the ball instead and it still doesn't help at all.

I always play overtop or outside adjustment.

This never was not this bad in Madden 19 and I was really great at defense.

Is there a way to fix this or this can't be fix because EA can't code right?

Last edited by PanthersFan89; 05-12-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Re: Madden 20 Defense Issue.

If you're playing a coverage that emphasizes stopping short passing flat game then you're going to be vulnerable to deep passes. Also, a lot of times in Cov 3 your corners will press and, even if they're in a deep zone, if they lose the press they're toast. Try backing off the coverage so they have space to run if that's the issue.

Grab Seattle's D playbook, go into Nickel, and try Cov 3 Sky Press or Cov 3 Match. Those are my go to plays and they stop anything. Gives you flexibility to roam the middle as an LB or grab one of the Safeties and cover the deep middle or the slot WR/flat. If you sense a run coming, audible to the Over Storm Brave Man Blitz. It'll destroy the AI.

The game certainly isn't broken. Honestly I'm unable to find any challenge from the AI Offense with these plays on All Madden.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
try Cov 3 Sky Press or Cov 3 Match. Those are my go to plays and they stop anything
Saying "Cover 3 Sky Press and Cover 3 Match stop anything" is pretty reckless advice if this guy ever has to take his play calling online.

If you don't have strong cornerbacks, leaving them on islands in Cover 3 all day leaves you vulnerable to any route which attacks the sideline such as a 10-yard out. This is especially if you're playing Cover 3 Match and the slot defender has to carry a vertical route, as so he can't creep underneath the out-breaking route by the #1 receiver. As to 3 Sky / 3 Sky Press, just attack the space in the seam with a play like Four Verticals (or, again, if the boundary CBs aren't good, look for your boundary WRs to beat the press and drop one in the bucket over there).

In playing against the CPU on All-Madden, I find the single most important thing to do is pressure the quarterback. If you have an X-Factor pass rusher or can otherwise consistently get pressure with four rushers, you are pretty much set. If you can't get pressure with four and you just drop back in seven-man coverages all day anyway, a decent CPU All-Madden quarterback is perfectly capable of roasting you.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Saying "Cover 3 Sky Press and Cover 3 Match stop anything" is pretty reckless advice if this guy ever has to take his play calling online.

If you don't have strong cornerbacks, leaving them on islands in Cover 3 all day leaves you vulnerable to any route which attacks the sideline such as a 10-yard out. This is especially if you're playing Cover 3 Match and the slot defender has to carry a vertical route, as so he can't creep underneath the out-breaking route by the #1 receiver. As to 3 Sky / 3 Sky Press, just attack the space in the seam with a play like Four Verticals (or, again, if the boundary CBs aren't good, look for your boundary WRs to beat the press and drop one in the bucket over there).

In playing against the CPU on All-Madden, I find the single most important thing to do is pressure the quarterback. If you have an X-Factor pass rusher or can otherwise consistently get pressure with four rushers, you are pretty much set. If you can't get pressure with four and you just drop back in seven-man coverages all day anyway, a decent CPU All-Madden quarterback is perfectly capable of roasting you.
The key is knowing the vulnerabilities of your defensive concept and making up for them with your user defender. These plays are great because the main vulnerabilities are underneath passes, which don't hurt much. If you have solid corners and LB's, it creates an immense amount of freedom for your user player to go wherever you want and bait players/AI into bad decisions.

Obviously if you're playing online you need to switch things up and you can't run 5 defensive plays all game, but these coverages are going to handle deep & intermediate passes way better than the flat concepts he has been running.

And honestly I haven't seen an All Madden QB do anything that's even slightly impressive, even with average pass rushers. Even with sliders jacked in their favor they make horrible decisions all game long.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #5
MVP

Why are you always shading either over the top or outside? If you make these sorts of adjustments without having a specific reason to do so you're going to have a bad time.

Shading over the top will change both Seam Flats and Quarter Flats into Curl Flats. This cancels their pattern matching. It does not cancel pattern matching for the other defenders. You can do some really creative and 100% sim things with hot routes and match coverages but great care must be taken. The game does not protect you from exposing either your defenders or your adjustments!

The first step is to learn what these zones actually do for you. Here are some links to tutorials on Cover 3 Match and Cover 4 Match in Madden 20.

This is a tutorial from Playbook GG on the Seam Flat zone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM3gEyv99yw

This is a tutorial from Deuce Close on running Cover 4 in Madden 20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXrrfEI-5M8

Once you've digested those here's some tutorials from Deuce on making adjustments out of Cover 4 Plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSwifIK5IIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxPsiq1Lb4

The first link gives a tutorial on how to create lock coverage specifically for the purposes of Split Close defense. This technique is useful against any unbalanced offensive formation where the #1 to the 2-receiver side is compressed.

The second link is an older vid (M19) that shows how to create some blitzes. Coverage adjustments and user responsibilities are also discussed. Most, if not all, of this advice applies just as well to M20 as it did M19.

Last edited by stinkubus; 05-12-2020 at 12:06 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #6
MVP

Jagsfan24's Arena

While I agree that calling the right coverage plays matters, the game is broken in most aspects of this.
Old 05-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #7
Pro

I think I just had delete and reinstall Madden 20 completely, because now the coverage I am doing, I am able to have my defensive positions make plays on the ball and player.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »