Home

Interview with Clint

This is a discussion on Interview with Clint within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 22: 11 Features to Improve Stadium Creator
MXGP 2021 Review
Football Manager 22 Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 06-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #65
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Interview with Clint

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Because they will always be able to add/ improve things that even full customisation can't do
They have the ability to but i think “they always will” is a strech. Hell go 3-4 years ago when we were getting minimal cfm/franchise improvements. IF the pc version featured moddable rosters, uniforms, stadiums, etc im sure a lot of the cfm heads would have juat updated their pc versions instead of purchasing future iterations.

Take into account equipment guys like me who will be happier than a pig in s**t if we can mod tattoos in the pc version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2018, 10:46 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Can you define "real" for me? I am not trying to be a smarty, but my idea of real may be different, and I want to make sure we are on the same page.

OK, lets define real....anybody can join in.

Let's start with your example. Madden already has injuries that last less than a game where a backup comes in for X number of plays. Madden even at times lets you select if you want to keep the player in or bring in a backup. Your example would give you an immediate choice of keeping the player or replacing him. Why not do that? Madden is already close to it.

How about injury ratings for different parts of the body, like NBA2K has. How about persistent injuries that players can even play through (for some injuries). Madden already has an unrealistic abstraction of this. But the player has to miss X games and before he's fully healed you get that "Big Decision" to return to lineup or start the backup. But that "Big Decision" only shows up one week. It's kind of an arcady implementation (which I think is a pretty crappy implementation). Make it more realistic. Each week the player is injured have a trainer automatically evaluate to give degree of injury, chance of re-injury or chance making it worse, and if the player can play (out, doubtful, probable, etc). And you can decide each and every week to sit him or play him.

Anybody else have anything to add?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 PM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
That's great that you do that, but not everyone thinks and buys like you do.
I'm pretty confused by this...

What point are you trying to make? Are you saying that theres some other drawback to customization? Or are you suggesting and defending the idea that Madden doesn't offer customization out of fear of loss of sales? Both seem pretty odd tbh, so I'm curious as to what you're actually getting at here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 06-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #68
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypowers88
I'm pretty confused by this...

What point are you trying to make? Are you saying that theres some other drawback to customization? Or are you suggesting and defending the idea that Madden doesn't offer customization out of fear of loss of sales? Both seem pretty odd tbh, so I'm curious as to what you're actually getting at here.

No, it doesn't seem odd.

Let me try to clarify: Why would EA take a successful business model that they currently have working with a risk of people not purchasing the game every year with customization?

There would need to be a full on fiscal study if EA brought full customization to the table that this would increase profits greatly.

I'm with K-Gun, I wouldn't purchase a new Madden every year if there was full customization.

And the comeback to that is the potential of improvements year after year? How well has that gone over the past decade or so?

And based on past EA history, I don't see full customization happening.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:31 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
No, it doesn't seem odd.

Let me try to clarify: Why would EA take a successful business model that they currently have working with a risk of people not purchasing the game every year with customization?

There would need to be a full on fiscal study if EA brought full customization to the table that this would increase profits greatly.

I'm with K-Gun, I wouldn't purchase a new Madden every year if there was full customization.

And the comeback to that is the potential of improvements year after year? How well has that gone over the past decade or so?

What makes the Madden customer base different from every other sports game that allows top of the line customization? NBA 2k sales are increasing a ton now thanks to their franchise modes becoming so sandbox-like and the rest of the game is seeing improvements. Out of the Park is growing bigger and bigger each year.

You're telling me that Madden is so different that if they were to change their model up and invest in their franchise modes and improve the game each year that most of the target audience is just going to not buy the new game?

― Plato
Old 06-13-2018, 11:39 PM   #70
Pro

michapop9's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
No, it doesn't seem odd.

I dont for the life of me understand the argument. The full customization business model outsells the "save some for next year, tight belt, full of excuses, odd philosophy" business model every year for almost a decade and its with a less popular sport!

EAs business model for Madden probably wouldnt have been around for very long if there was the full customization business model to compete with it in the same sport.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 PM   #71
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I am sure EA's accounting department is very capable of doing the homework and research.

The question is, does EA want full customization?

Last edited by roadman; 06-14-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #72
Rookie

Quote:
No, it doesn't seem odd.

Well first of all, the game already features customization, and it has my entire life. It just isn't very good. Clearly, you and K Gun are still purchasing the game. So again, that's kind of an odd opinion. We're not asking for a seat at the developers chair. Just more sliders and toggles.

Second of all, as has been pointed out, other games have offered very extensive customization before. They've had no issues out performing and outselling Madden. It's already a proven strategy. I've never, ever in my life heard anyone say "I won't be purchasing so and so because the previous version was so customizable" outside of the PC modding community. It's always directly related to relative improvements, every time. What level of customization would actually get you to stop purchasing Madden and view it as a completely product? I'll be honest, I highly doubt there is one. No offense, it just doesn't make any logical sense for such an active member of the community who's obviously already purchasing a customizable game.

As for your last point, we wouldn't know, and that's kind of my point. The team spends so much time tuning the game to please every faction of the fanbase that they can't properly develop and implement effective features. We've had a carousel of features for over a decade, and the vast majority have been half baked failures. To use recent history as an argument against an emphasis on gameplay improvements is puzzling, to say the least.

It seems like you're taking the side of the company, which again, seems odd considering where we are, and why we post here. Nobody ever suggested that customization=profits. Simply that it made for a better game and shouldn't prevent them from selling copies. So to go online and defend the idea of limiting the customization offered to us, the consumers, is something I have a hard time wrapping my head around. I wouldn't imagine you told those asking for franchise improvements to perform a fiscal study before making requests... ya know?

I have to ask, do you work or assist the Madden team/community in any way? Because even if all of this was true, it'd be an extremely counterproductive conversation to have as a consumer.

Last edited by kennypowers88; 06-14-2018 at 12:21 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »