Home

Interceptions too frequent?

This is a discussion on Interceptions too frequent? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Interceptions too frequent?

Am I the only one that can not enjoy this game because of interceptions? I'm not the best player around but I throw at least 3 picks a game. Same with any opponent I play. Now I know you can't make dumb throws but I've had guys pick me off at the line of scrimmage just a split second after the ball is thrown. This has happened way too often. The INTs in this game are so unrealistic in my online cfms. I can't enjoy it. I downloaded this game so I can't even trade it in. All these interceptions are making the game completely unenjoyable for me. Anyone else experiencing this?? I know it can't just be me because my opponents throw tons of picks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Interceptions too frequent?

I'm extremely interception prone, I had a 19 to 35 TD to INT ratio in the first season of my CFM, it's made me get ultra conservative to the point where I can't move the ball. I also can't get in the habit if doing possession catches so I'm always dropping passes whenever there is any contact, which puts me in 3rd and long and I end up forcing the ball
Old 09-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Its not just you, but the problem is not typically with the game either.

Madden players by large suck at decision making and protecting the ball (not fully exempting myself).

You have to throw with anticipation and make correct reads. And when its not there, use your checkdowns.

There is one exception to this, and I've seen numerous people complain about it, its on short passes where your QB throws something like 5 yards behind his target right into the hands of a defender. This is a timing problem and the way Madden handles it is not ideal. If the QB acc slider is low you will encounter it more. Basically what happens is on timing routes if your timing is off its like you get an accuracy penalty. I see it the most on hook routes (where it starts as a slant but then the WR stops and faces the WR).

Small tip that could help you tone down your interceptions: Use touch pass. I've noticed many people throws lobs on deep routes, and everything else they use varying levels of bullet passes. Touch passes are what you need if you are throwing in the middle of the field over LBs.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:13 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm playing CFM on all madden vs the cpu and the pass coverage is insane for the cpu. They warp all over the place and fly around like they have jetpacks on. Somehow they're magically able to warp around the bodies of WRs without making contact to make clean picks. A guy in a flat zone can instantly warp back and break up a deep pass. Every time a ball is tipped it pops up in the air like a volleyball shot so that they can pick it.

I'd been playing M17 all the way up to the release of M18 and the pass D has been ridiculously improved for the cpu.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:40 AM   #5
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15

I feel like the number is inflated because LB's are too good at catching. DB interceptions feel okay, but LBs intercept an absurd amount of passes, and they never seem to drop any.

I get that we should be punished for bad decisions, but every now and then a bad pass to a LB should just be dropped or knocked down.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

OVR: 0

I don't have this problem, and I usually play on All Madden. To me, having 15 INTs at the end of the year is being INT prone (say, 38 tds and 15 ints makes me feel like a failure).

My advice to you all is this: either learn how to read coverage (and know which routes to NOT throw based on coverage), throw with anticipation (anticipate both your wr AND the defense), go through progressions and use checkdowns, or lower the difficulty level.

I wouldn't even throw 30+ ints if I extrapolated my horrendous experimentation with only using target passing. I just don't know what to tell you guys. I'm not even good at Madden in terms of stick skills or exploiting the game like you see in ranked games. I just have basic understanding of coverages and how offense is designed to attack them. I don't get it.

Stop playing like it's a video game and start playing like an actual quarterback and I promise your ints will drop. By that I mean, stop attempting ridiculous throws because it's alwayd worked in madden. Don't be throwing a four vert against a prevent defense. Don't throw a quick out against cover two. Don't throw across your body or the field. Don't hesitate and throw AFTER you see the wr open (because a defender will usually fill the hole).

I guess this can be summarized as Git Gud.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Between playing as a less accurate QB this year, QB accuracy ratings having a greater effect in Simulation mode, and a little bit of rustiness on my part, my interceptions have gone up this year as well. That said, I don't feel like the game is being cheap, it's just punishing my stupidity.

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ and ggsimmonds offer some good advice, use that as a starting point. Also, be sure to leverage the Skills Trainer to get some practice against different coverages and some reminders about what sorts of route combinations are effective against each type of coverage.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 0

I throw my share to the point that i use the slider. I am pretty good at reading defenses but the timer in my head often tells me to throw the ball when i should not. I dont mind the bad decision picks but the superman linebacker picks get absurd. I threw a corner route to my te in the end zone yesterday and keuchley was playing a middle zone and somehow picked it off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »