Home

Schemes and playbook

This is a discussion on Schemes and playbook within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Schemes and playbook

Does the playbook options change based on your scheme choice or no? Seems to me that they are different but not totally sure. If i am using Gruden's playbook and change the scheme will my play options adjust within his available playbook?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Schemes and playbook

No, scheme is not tethered to playbook in that fashion. Most playbooks are capable of supporting on-the-field schemes which would more than adequately match the descriptions given in the game's menus.

OAK offense is a perfect example. You've got complete power and zone run schemes available from multiple formations. Thematically the book's passing game is mostly West Coast, but there's more than enough plays to test a D down the field (with or without PA) that running one of the vertical or multiple schemes isn't out of the question.

You've got enough of the right formations that you can also build an offense which any reasonable person would agree fits the description, "Spread".

So from one playbook I would say you could run almost any of the CFM schemes and be able to build an offense which reasonably matches the given description.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
No, scheme is not tethered to playbook in that fashion. Most playbooks are capable of supporting on-the-field schemes which would more than adequately match the descriptions given in the game's menus.

OAK offense is a perfect example. You've got complete power and zone run schemes available from multiple formations. Thematically the book's passing game is mostly West Coast, but there's more than enough plays to test a D down the field (with or without PA) that running one of the vertical or multiple schemes isn't out of the question.

You've got enough of the right formations that you can also build an offense which any reasonable person would agree fits the description, "Spread".

So from one playbook I would say you could run almost any of the CFM schemes and be able to build an offense which reasonably matches the given description.
I would say that’s only partially true. You can’t really build a “run and shoot” scheme from any of the available team playbooks. There are a limited amount of ‘switch’ concepts and absolutely no ‘Go’ or ‘Choice’ plays in any of the 32 offensive playbooks you can pick from.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:51 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiant1
I would say that’s only partially true. You can’t really build a “run and shoot” scheme from any of the available team playbooks. There are a limited amount of ‘switch’ concepts and absolutely no ‘Go’ or ‘Choice’ plays in any of the 32 offensive playbooks you can pick from.
I think we can agree RNS is always going to be an outlier to some extent.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg88forHOF
I think we can agree RNS is always going to be an outlier to some extent.
It shouldn’t be though. Run and shoot used to be an option to run with as a team playbook until it was randomly removed. I just don’t understand why it’s still listed as a scheme when you can’t even use the playbook anymore
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiant1
It shouldn’t be though. Run and shoot used to be an option to run with as a team playbook until it was randomly removed. I just don’t understand why it’s still listed as a scheme when you can’t even use the playbook anymore
You can use the book you just need to select it before each franchise game. It's tons of fun against the AI because it induces them to play more of their Dime and Dollar sets and you end up going up against better defenses.

It can also be very hard to run the ball without smart play calling and using motion to give you the numbers.

It's like adding a difficulty level.

Also current AZ book has enough that I could run a scheme I would be comfortable labeling "Run and Shoot". TB and maybe GB as well.

You can use passing leading (this works *great* if you have one of the abilities, so-so if you don't) to "create" option routes. Next time you are throwing to a deep dig over the middle that has space try passing leading up the field. RAC catch that and watch it turn into a post that can split blue zones for TDs.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
You can use the book you just need to select it before each franchise game. It's tons of fun against the AI because it induces them to play more of their Dime and Dollar sets and you end up going up against better defenses.

It can also be very hard to run the ball without smart play calling and using motion to give you the numbers.

It's like adding a difficulty level.

Also current AZ book has enough that I could run a scheme I would be comfortable labeling "Run and Shoot". TB and maybe GB as well.

You can use passing leading (this works *great* if you have one of the abilities, so-so if you don't) to "create" option routes. Next time you are throwing to a deep dig over the middle that has space try passing leading up the field. RAC catch that and watch it turn into a post that can split blue zones for TDs.

Yeah, that’s too much work. I liked being able to add plays and set my audibles. Since you can’t set “run and shoot” as your playbook in sim, you’ll never get sim stats consistent of a “run and shoot” team. AZ is a spread system but they utilize the tight end and run tons of spread option, which tilts the run/pass ratio more towards run than RnS. “Run and shoot” is all 4 wides and pass to set up inside runs/draws, so an “air raid” scheme isn’t going to give you the same sim stats you would get from a pure “run and shoot.”

Bottom line is it’s a super easy fix that EA continues to ignore, for whatever reason. We’re not even asking for something new, just bring back a previous feature that allowed us to get sim with the generic playbooks and make them customizable. This was a feature for years and stopped after madden 15

Last edited by Radiant1; 08-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »