Home

Pass/Run Balance

This is a discussion on Pass/Run Balance within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Pass/Run Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE_790120q
In all my years playing madden I don't recall the AI never replacing a QB for poor performance but aside from that it does seem excessive that they threw the ball 55 times. I guess if you had such a spike not only due to the pass/run ratio we discussed but because of those TOs I'm assuming you were well ahead on the scoreboard?

I would agree with the CPU increasing the passes if they are behind in the second half. Where I see a flaw is when they are ahead by couple of scores, inside the last 4min of the 4th QTR (sometimes inside the last 2) and they continue to pass the ball.
I did get 3 picks in the last 2 minutes of the game but 5 up to that point was excessive. I agree they won't ever bench a guy, but the score was only 20-14 at halftime. Looking at the pregame scouting report for team training they were 60% run. Typically the excessive passing is what I see, though. If I can hold a team under 300 yards it's a great day. Not because my D sucks, but because of all of the attempts.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

I really feel like the game is better in this regard than it has been historically. They will almost never run more than they pass, but I have definitely had a lot of games where they’ve been pretty balanced.

It also seems like they do attack what’s working much better than before. If they’re having trouble passing but breaking off some nice runs, they’ll continue to run at a decent clip and avoid the pass for a while, but the moment they hit two or three passes in a row all bets are off.

In any event it definitely still needs work and I don’t get what’s so hard about getting this right. The gameplan feature is built right into the game, surely all it would take is like one guy working for a week or two tuning the situations mechanic so that all the teams call plays in a manner that mimics the real-life team in question. Guys on OS pull off similar engine tweaks all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #19
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9

Is there any way to edit this in-game? I've been struggling to see the CPU call plays at a decent ratio, regardless of winning or losing. I could live with a 2 to 1 split, as that would be 40 pass to 20 run plays, but I'm not even getting that. Just played a game against the Jets and they ran the ball 10 times (Bell only had 6 carries) while Darnold threw 48 passes, and neither team held a lead larger than one score.

It's taking my immersion away to watch the CPU pass on every single play for almost the entire half. I like to play sim-style for franchise but if it's going to be like this I'm not sure how to fix it and I'm disappointed to have spent my $ after not playing Madden for five years.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:06 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

Matt10's Arena

OVR: 23

The closest I have gotten them to balance this out is raise fatigue fairly high. My aim was to get the Eagles to run Howard more than 15 times. He ran for 28 times. I raised fatigue to 70 though. The issue when raised that much higher is that the CPU does not sub at the right time. So if Howard had gain of 40 yards, instead of subbing him, they'd keep him in to take 3-4 more hand-offs, even though visibly fatigued. Auto-subs may be able to balance this, but I didn't go into it that far yet.

With that said, it still did not prevent the Eagles from a PA pass under 1 minute, and leading by 20+, to convert a third down. So it's not a 100% solution, if any.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #21
Pro

OVR: 9

I see a 70/30 pass/run ratio pretty much every game. I've played with all kinds of combinations of teams. The play calling logic is out of whack in general. The CPU can be up by 10 with under 2 minutes and they still pass more than run.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk
I see a 70/30 pass/run ratio pretty much every game. I've played with all kinds of combinations of teams. The play calling logic is out of whack in general. The CPU can be up by 10 with under 2 minutes and they still pass more than run.
Matt Nagy also thinks that pass/run ratio is out of whack.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #23
Rookie

ICE_790120q's Arena

OVR: 0

Hey Everyone...thought of bringing this thread back to life after patch 1.16.

I've played 3 games post-patch and I noticed quite an improvement on the run/play balance. The patch itself does not seem to address this specifically but sometimes fixes to other areas have an effect on certain AI behavior.

Last night had a couple of games where the main RB had 20 carries and the back-up 9. I play a 32 team CFM so it gives me an opportunity to face pretty much every team in the league in a short period of time.

Just thought of reaching out to see if anyone is seeing an improvement as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »